Thread: F10 2011 535 ix mystery vibration. Need diagnosis

My Cars
    2011 535i xdrive

F10 2011 535 ix mystery vibration. Need diagnosis

11 535 IX.jpgI purchased a beautiful mint 2011 535 ix with 26k miles driven by a little old lady (literally) I flew to New York and drove it back. Such a driving pleasure.

Recently, I was pulling out of a side street downtown to make a clean turn into an end parky space. Unseen by me, the city put round, unpainted concrete stobs fanning out of the opposite side of the street. As I approached my space, I hit one straight on with my front right wheel.

I was afraid it had blown the run-flat continental but NO. I didn't see until much later than the impact has cause the outside upper rim of the wheel, closest to the tire to slightly fold inward in two places.

On the way home, sure enough, I had a "resonant" vibration from 60 up. On brand new pavement it became very irritating HOWEVER, it didn't show a shake in the wheel. The vibration could be felt through the floor and slightly seen in the seat. My telephone cup mount was the only thing really reflecting a visible vibration. Needless to say, when a car drives as smooth as the 535, an aberration is annoying!

I took it to Discount Tire. I has done business with them in Texas and they did a good job on tire and wheels plus they have road force balancing. They show me that the right front rim was jumping. It actually looked worse than it felt.

The only solution: buy another wheel. They ordered me a new OEM 15 spoke 18" Wheel and gave me their discount. After mounting the wheel and rebalancing all four, I drove out feeling good, all the way up to about 58 and there it was again.

I took it in again 4 days later. The looked at it and said it was an ounce off, put the extra weight on and I was off again. Now, I started feeling it slightly in the low 40s.

I took the car to the German car group I trust. They did a road test and confirmed, then did a visual of the suspension and said they saw nothing there. As well, they did a visual on my tires (which are only half way to tire heaven) and found no flat spots, bubbles etc.

I have to take it in soon and leave it for two days so they can give it a closer look over. Asking what more that could be, they said "bearings, things like that". But I have no bearing noise symptoms.

My question to all is -- if there is any experience with something similar or knowledge of these things, what should I be looking for among the simplest things first that I may be missing THEN what are the most critical things that it could be?

NATURALLY, i AM WORRIED that the problem will never be resolved like the Doc saying to you, "we have done all we can do. You are just going to have to live with that vibration when you walk." i WOULD APPRECIATE SOME EDUCATED ASSISTANCE

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to F10 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Get an alignment and check the numbers maybe some thing is bent siightly

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by skysurf6 View Post
    11 535 IX.jpgI purchased a beautiful mint 2011 535 ix with 26k miles driven by a little old lady (literally) I flew to New York and drove it back. Such a driving pleasure.

Recently, I was pulling out of a side street downtown to make a clean turn into an end parky space. Unseen by me, the city put round, unpainted concrete stobs fanning out of the opposite side of the street. As I approached my space, I hit one straight on with my front right wheel.

I was afraid it had blown the run-flat continental but NO. I didn't see until much later than the impact has cause the outside upper rim of the wheel, closest to the tire to slightly fold inward in two places.

On the way home, sure enough, I had a "resonant" vibration from 60 up. On brand new pavement it became very irritating HOWEVER, it didn't show a shake in the wheel. The vibration could be felt through the floor and slightly seen in the seat. My telephone cup mount was the only thing really reflecting a visible vibration. Needless to say, when a car drives as smooth as the 535, an aberration is annoying!

I took it to Discount Tire. I has done business with them in Texas and they did a good job on tire and wheels plus they have road force balancing. They show me that the right front rim was jumping. It actually looked worse than it felt.

The only solution: buy another wheel. They ordered me a new OEM 15 spoke 18" Wheel and gave me their discount. After mounting the wheel and rebalancing all four, I drove out feeling good, all the way up to about 58 and there it was again.

I took it in again 4 days later. The looked at it and said it was an ounce off, put the extra weight on and I was off again. Now, I started feeling it slightly in the low 40s.

I took the car to the German car group I trust. They did a road test and confirmed, then did a visual of the suspension and said they saw nothing there. As well, they did a visual on my tires (which are only half way to tire heaven) and found no flat spots, bubbles etc.

I have to take it in soon and leave it for two days so they can give it a closer look over. Asking what more that could be, they said "bearings, things like that". But I have no bearing noise symptoms.

My question to all is -- if there is any experience with something similar or knowledge of these things, what should I be looking for among the simplest things first that I may be missing THEN what are the most critical things that it could be?

NATURALLY, i AM WORRIED that the problem will never be resolved like the Doc saying to you, "we have done all we can do. You are just going to have to live with that vibration when you walk." i WOULD APPRECIATE SOME EDUCATED ASSISTANCE
    have the alignment checked. make sure it's someone who can actually do alignments on BMW's. I think NTB (National Tire and Battery) can do it.