Thread: E34 Stereo Retrofit

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i

E34 Stereo Retrofit

I have an 89’ 535i, of which the P.O. installed an aftermarket pioneer head unit. The installation job was poor, to say the least, so I’ve disconnected it from the battery and removed the head unit. A year later, I wouldn’t mind a radio on those longer drives. I have a stock radio from a later e34, which had the hifi system. Would it be possible to buy a wiring harness such as this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E34-5-S...ty!90805!US!-1
    and have plug and play compatibility? I understand most people upgrade to full “systems”, but I prefer the look of the stock headunit, and am not an audio junky. Might upgrade to cd43 in the future, but that is neither here nor there. I’m just wondering if this harness solution would be independent of the existing wiring, which is completely hacked up. Any insight greatly appreciated
    Last edited by theBMWbeast; 05-29-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Yes, but. Double check the CD changer connection type if you intend to use one (I have several FS) as there are two types of connections. Ebay seller is working cheap @ $95. It is a LOT of work to remove or install the entire harness intact. I did it once on a car that was being dismantled anyway and wouldn't do it again for that price. You pretty much need to dismantle the entire interior.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-29-2019 at 02:40 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    You know, the harness is actually still sold new for $124 shipped, which is surprising. I would like a CD changer, so I’ll check, but that wouldn’t effect the harness, would it? Also my stock antenna connector won’t plug in, will this solve that or will I have to make my own provisions?

If it was that much of a pain to remove the harness Ross, then would I be suicidal after trying to install it? Only tricky areas I can think of are the door panels for the tweeters, not sure how I would snake it in there.
    O o

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    You know, the harness is actually still sold new for $124 shipped, which is surprising. I would like a CD changer, so I’ll check, but that wouldn’t effect the harness, would it? Also my stock antenna connector won’t plug in, will this solve that or will I have to make my own provisions?

If it was that much of a pain to remove the harness Ross, then would I be suicidal after trying to install it? Only tricky areas I can think of are the door panels for the tweeters, not sure how I would snake it in there.
    Well, I like Moroza's idea best but if you intend to do it don't say you weren't warned. The harness runs from the amp area in the trunk, across the front of the rear seat foot well, forward along both rocker panels all the way forward and up into and across the dash.
    You'll be removing the seats to access the rocker panel wire harness troughs, a good bit of the dash, the B pillars and probably more that I've forgotten about.
    It's a big stinkin' whole day's worth of contortions, bloody knuckles, swearing and finally wondering WTF did I start this. I'd rather put Willy into a light socket than do this.
    the doors have their own harness, hopefully the later harness would correctly mate to the connectors in the cowl and B pillars.
    I can't imagine your harness is THAT F'ed up that you couldn't simply get the missing connections from a donor car. do some splicing and use the correct early radio.
    If I were in your shoes I'd repair what's there or do like Moroza says and have the option of using a modern HU.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I ran mine in the headliner. Had to remove the pillar trim panels and grab handles, then just stuffed the wires up there. Also removed the gauges and some other bits, but neither the seats nor the dash. A lot less work than pulling up the carpet.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I’ve swapped the interior between my two cars, and my black car is completely gutted as we speak, so that stuff doesn’t scare me. The custom setup sounds like a better idea, but audio wiring is a bit of a dark art to me. If I post an ad in the classifieds for a hifi harness, you have permission to say you told me so. Thanks for the guidance!
    O o

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    I ran mine in the headliner. Had to remove the pillar trim panels and grab handles, then just stuffed the wires up there. Also removed the gauges and some other bits, but neither the seats nor the dash. A lot less work than pulling up the carpet.
    I did my patch round the joined section and iic the wiring was in the factory wiring channels it wasn’t much work to flip the seats up for easy access.

89s have no harness so they always look like a hack job, mit might not be as bad as you thinks. If it worked, it was good.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I swear the engine ran worse with the radio connected, and it turned on only if you could recite the entirety of Hamlet to it. My hifi harness showed up yesterday, I’ll try my luck with that. Brand new, with a neat little “inspected” sticker.
    O o

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i
    I have a new, still in the box, from BMW, CD Changer for 1990 e32, e34.
    Comes with the cable and, I suppose, what you'd need, like brackets, etc.
    My 535i is pre-wired for it, and it might be cool to install it, but, I'd rarely use it.
    Also, from my e32 1990 750, and it's CD changer, I have about 24 cartridges for it.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Anyone know where the power plug is usually for the e34 radio harness. Finally started installing my hifi harness, and I can’t seem to find the right connector to plug into. With this early car, it seems hard to find any connectors to plug into, but slowly but surely I’m finding a few that fit.
    Need to find the power connector though, it is a three prong male connector. There is a three prong female in the trunk by the taillight, but the fit doesn’t feel right.
    O o