Thread: tire cleaning/scraping off old clag

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i

tire cleaning/scraping off old clag

curious if anyone cleans or scraps old clag off your tires.
    i noticed my new set of falken azenis had very little clag after my 2 day event in April and mainly rolled into thread cuts.
    getting ready for this weekend at Barber im putting the old RS3's back on. for what may be their last laps.
    i had a ton of buildup on the RS3's, they do have something like ~12 days on them track only. 20 miles on road.

thoughts?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I scrape mine off in T1.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    yes i was prepared for this type answer.
    surprised at the difference of clag between the tires. RS3 hotter or colder sticking more crap from track?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'm not quite sure what the issue is? Stickier tires stick more stuff. It comes off quickly and easily once on track. It's not an issue.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    Yeah, ditto on "don't worry about the klag". Sometimes it can cause an out-of-balance condition on the first lap or two, but it will come off (often with a BANG) when the tire heats up again. I'll sometimes pick at it when the tires are sitting in the garage off the car, but that's just to halfheartedly remove the bigger chunks and probably doesn't make much of a difference. In race classes where I need to make weight, I'll drive offline on my whole cool down lap to pick up as much klag as I can get onto the tires - every ounce matters. So, short story - ignore it. It doesn't make much of a difference...

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    no issue, just reporting and wanting to discuss my observations between the different tires. this is a discussion board. i get stickier stick more, both 200 tires "should" be equalish.
    going out into a hot session with a better outlap and cleaner tires makes sense to me.
    i suppose my in-lap tire temps may be the key, the cool down lap collecting clag is a good point.
    sometimes cool lap is only half lap depending where on track i am, when the session ending checkered flag flies. shorter cooler down lap, less tire temp loss, less clag maybe.
    yes i have noticed the a feeling of out of balance with the RS3's not the falkens.
    i know they RS3 are popular around here and so experience on them is high, maybe some experts would share experience with them.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    I'll scrap the build-up off the barrel of my wheels but otherwise, it's not something I worry about for a simple track day.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    I'll scrape the build-up off the barrel of my wheels
    Good point. I do clean the chunks off the inside of the rim. Big chunks on the inside of the wheel will put your wheel out of balance.