Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: '01 E38 w/ nav and dsp. issues with xtrons radio install

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740iL

'01 E38 w/ nav and dsp. issues with xtrons radio install

Just bought my first BMW not too long ago and just started driving it last week (Im new to BMWs so go easy on me). '01 740il with factory navigation (the small screen) and dsp. My display screen and cassette player are not working so I ordered an xtrons radio from ebay. That was a mistake. I can get the radio to power up but I have no sound. I figured out how to keep the dsp amp powered up briefly by sending power to the factory radio and leaving it in the trunk. However after about 30 seconds the sound cuts off. Ive heard that this problem goes away by leaving the MID display hooked up to the factory wiring and putting it in the glovebox on cars without navigation. But since my car has it and obviously my factory navigation unit wont fit in my glovebox, what is the solution? Can I get an MID display from a non nav car and plug it in to my factory wiring to keep the I-bus circuit complete? Ive got about $300 tied up in this system so far so Id like to get it working, but if its going to be an electrical nightmare Ill just find a working factory unit.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You need to search out the threads from 7+ years ago where there was a 'trick' to install an aftermarket head unit in a BMW with DSP

The only one I have saved is this one

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...with-Hualingan

No idea if its any good nowadays though.

Since then, it's only the Avin Avant 4 and the Dynavin N7 that support connecting directly to the OEM DSP amp and thus, it's one of those units you should have purchased if going the chinese head unit route was what you wanted and have an easier install.

Have a look around in the E38 section and ask there as well as some guys have fitted some of these cheaper chinese units.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan

Installing an aftermarket unit in a DSP equipped BMW retaining the DSP amp

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine740il View Post
    Just bought my first BMW not too long ago and just started driving it last week (Im new to BMWs so go easy on me). '01 740il with factory navigation (the small screen) and dsp. My display screen and cassette player are not working so I ordered an xtrons radio from ebay. That was a mistake. I can get the radio to power up but I have no sound. I figured out how to keep the dsp amp powered up briefly by sending power to the factory radio and leaving it in the trunk. However after about 30 seconds the sound cuts off. Ive heard that this problem goes away by leaving the MID display hooked up to the factory wiring and putting it in the glovebox on cars without navigation. But since my car has it and obviously my factory navigation unit wont fit in my glovebox, what is the solution? Can I get an MID display from a non nav car and plug it in to my factory wiring to keep the I-bus circuit complete? Ive got about $300 tied up in this system so far so Id like to get it working, but if its going to be an electrical nightmare Ill just find a working factory unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34c0uaoLrdc

Watch until the very end...