Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door handle gasket

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza

Door handle gasket

So I got my new door handle gaskets in the mail from Shogun on this forum however I’m failing at the first step to completing the repair. The plastic seal (pictured) won’t come off. I can get a bit of leverage under the outer section of it but it simply won’t pop out. The inner bit is too flush to the outer section to remove that first.

I can see the outer bit moving as I lever it but using my flat head screwdriver it won’t pop out. Don’t wanna force too hard as I may scratch the paint or break the plastic bit but I’m giving it a fairly good lever and it still won’t come out!

Any ideas from a failing DIYer!!!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    yes, it will come off. It doesn't want to. You outweigh it by at least 150 lbs. Be a man and make it do what you want it to! Seriously, I think I got mine out by prying out the seat/ring along with it. I know you can't see it yet, but it is simply a plug and a separate seat. Accept that you will damage it a little bit, but put the slightly damaged side down at re-assembly.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    It comes out...Try using two screw drivers. One on each end of the plug and apply even pressure.

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza
    Quote Originally Posted by delvec View Post
    It comes out...Try using two screw drivers. One on each end of the plug and apply even pressure.
    Thanks, tried that and still didn’t wanna come out. Both sides are super stiff and despite getting good leverage on both they just won’t pop out.

Oh well, I’ll sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings.

Tim

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe
    Subbed as this is my next project

Thanks, Jason
    2000 BMW M-Coupe

2019 M-B GLC300
    2019 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EB3.5
    1995 Mustang GT "Lemons Car"

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
    ... Both sides are super stiff and despite getting good leverage on both they just won’t pop out...
    If the old rigid plastic grommet and plug have bonded to each other, maybe you can break the bond by lightly tapping on the plug with a little hammer.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 05-29-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    I tried to pop one of mine out a few weeks ago and gave up as it wasn't a vital situation.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    I felt pretty stupid not being able to do this. All the tips online were just getting the inside of my door scratched up.

I have this pointy driver that came with my Craftsman screwdriver set a long time ago, maybe you can find something similar around the garage. I jammed this thing into the side of the smaller inner-most piece of the grommet and got that popped out first. Then the bigger outer piece of the grommet comes out easy. I ruined my first grommet trying a million things but got my second door's grommet out on the first try with the pointy thing.
    20190529_075947.jpg

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Maybe lubricate the rubber/plastic a little bit? They're just stuck together, so like Vint says, you need to break the bond.

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar Ole View Post
    I tried to pop one of mine out a few weeks ago and gave up as it wasn't a vital situation.
    Yeah I agree, it’s not vital but would be nice to get it done. They’re so cheap that I’ve actually just ordered some new plastic covers for a couple of dollars so once they arrive I don’t mind hacking the seized ones out!

Tim

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Drill a tiny hole in it and see if you can pull it out with a hooked pick or something. Then either replace it or pop a grommet in the hole. Just a thought.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I’d run a #10 screw in and use that to pull it out

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza

Finally got the job done! I used a knife to pry out the inside plug and with a bit of wiggling it finally came out. Was simply technique all along and the outer plastic bit came out pretty easy after. A little bit of marring of the plastic on the plug but I’ve ordered a couple of replacements as they are so cheap so can put the new ones in when they arrive.

Once those plugs were out the rest of the job was pretty simple using the videos on YouTube and some forum posts. Makes a massive difference in tidying up the handles as well. I left a few tiny marks on paint of the inside of the door jamb but nothing a bit of touch up paint can’t fix and the marks are barely visible anyway.

Thanks for the all the helpful posts and will move on to the next project!

Tim

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Same problem three years ago. After prying didn't work, I drilled them out. Ruined the old plastic. Ordered new plastic. Lived with glaring holes in my doors for a week or so. A few dollars later, all was good.

I feel your pain. And celebrate your victory.

My Cars
    2013 Subaru Impreza
    Quote Originally Posted by gfish View Post
    Same problem three years ago. After prying didn't work, I drilled them out. Ruined the old plastic. Ordered new plastic. Lived with glaring holes in my doors for a week or so. A few dollars later, all was good.

I feel your pain. And celebrate your victory.
    Old plastic isn’t too bad actually but will use the new ones when they arrive as they are so cheap. Didn’t have to resort to drilling!

Tim

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I agree gettting the plugs out was the hardest part of the job! Didn’t think of trying to lube it up but probably would have helped! That inner piece is hard to find when it flies across the garage.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Reading with interest as well. I will be also tackling this when my gasket’s arrive from Shogun. Thanks to all for the tips to look out for!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Another "tip": avoid handling by the new gasket when installing onto the door. (It's easy to do if you are forewarned). There is a little lip that you can easily dislodge, which isn't obvious until it's installed. Then you have to uninstall to put the lip back in place.

My Cars
    '00 Z3 roadster 2.3
    Where did you order the gasket from?

thanx!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    Ordered from Shogun, here on the forums. He is located in Japan.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Here is his (ongoing) thread, (perfect product/experience): https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...+handle+gasket

My Cars
    2000 BMW Roadster 2.3
    I received my gaskets from Shogun (excellent) and decided to tackle this today. I sprayed my door plugs with some WD-40 before attempting to remove them. The drivers side came out easily, but the passenger side I had to pry out a little more using a set of picks. I used a paint can lid remover for the job of pushing/pulling the bar to release the door handle trim. Took me awhile to actually locate the bar that you need to push/pull. When looking inside the hole with a flashlight, you should see it towards the “door side” up above the locking mechanism. One DYI write-up said look for a goldish looking bar. I didn’t see anything like that on my passenger door, except what turned out to be the top pole of the locking mechanism.
    i decided to move over to the drivers side, fearing perhaps the bar was missing from the passenger side(?)
    Once I got a look in the drivers side, there it was. A brass looking bar up towards the door side of the opening. Drivers side done! Going back to the passenger side, now knowing what to look for, I found it. Didn’t notice it the first time as the passenger side bar was almost like a dark gray/steel color which blended in with everything else.
    Anyway, got it done!
    942E99DE-F819-467E-AFDC-DE6F6B085498.jpg

My Cars
    1998 Z3 with 1.9/auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim010 View Post
    I left a few tiny marks on paint of the inside of the door jamb but nothing a bit of touch up paint can’t fix and the marks are barely visible anyway.
    A man in love with his car!
    -Marshall

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    passenger side bar was almost like a dark gray/steel color which blended
    Mine too - color coded for the assembly line?

I didn't pay too much attention to this since the OP's picture is gone. I didn't know what the thread was talking about. So, to be clear, its about the plastic plug (access hole) you remove to get to the slider. It's a two-part assembly and you must work the inner part out. Once I did some minor damage, I realized you don't have to remove the outer part off the door to access the lever.

And, as the above thread mentioned, get the gasket properly situated - the assembly should almost fall into place if the gasket is properly mounted on the cover. The big circle (hole) goes over the lock. the little pin tubes on the gasket should project towards and over the pins. Even then, I had to wiggle things a bit to get it to sit flat on the door. It was a btch holding the door open between my knees while holding the flashlight in my mouth and trying to move that slider in and out, but it can be done (old guys beware, you will get a cramp or two).

And, btw, does anyone have to P/Ns for that access hole plug assembly? It should be posted here. I did a good old college try of finding it in REALOEM and failed.
    Last edited by cyberman; 05-26-2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    And, btw, does anyone have to P/Ns for that access hole plug assembly? It should be posted here. I did a good old college try of finding it in REALOEM and failed.
    One of the parts that isn't stupid expensive, yet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...g/51211975404/

Lucky #13
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2049
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-24-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast