Thread: New to E90 - Looking for Style Mod Suggestions

My Cars
    F150, 997, E36M3, Others

New to E90 - Looking for Style Mod Suggestions

Hi all! So, a little background... First of all, yes I searched Perhaps not all that successfully, but i did look on here, IG, the interwebs... lots of places. So here's my interest.

I'm picking up my first E90 on Saturday. A low mileage 328i Sedan black Sport package with v-spoke wheels. Its going to be a daily driver for me, so I'm not keen on lowering the car or doing any performance mods, but I would like to do a little something to the exterior. Based on what I was able to search, I was thinking along the lines of maybe a small carbon M style decklid spoiler and maybe a rear-roof spoiler thing, tint, and a pair of smoked black-line tail lamps.

Any other suggestions or pics for inspiration? Side skirts? Not-too-aggressive front splitters? I really wish the car was white... I feel like there's a lot more options for style with a contrasting color like that. Anyhow, I appreciate any help. Looking forward to getting into an E90 after many great experienced with my track-only E36M car. And an incredible weekend in Europe on the Ring and at Spa with the E90 in the attached pic.

-Scott

Last edited by vdubturbo; 05-29-2019 at 07:52 AM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i sedan
    I have a 2010 alpine white
    I’d recommend that before mods, make sure maintenance is up to date. Tires, brakes, fluids, oil, etc. There’s no point in having a sleek sporty car if it doesn’t run right. Right? Lol

Also, this isn’t much of a mod but it helps appearance. Detailing your car.
    I’ve learned a lot from Chemical Guys on YouTube. Detailing can make even a completely stock car look great. My neighbors like how clean I maintain my car so much that now I’ve got a few customers haha

So, for mods, I’m on a bit of a budget. I haven’t gone all out with my car but what i have done to makes a noticable difference.

First thing I did was restore my headlights. I used the Sylvania headlight restoration kit. About $20-ish. Minor fix with major impact. It took years off the car.

After restoring the headlights, the signal light part of the headlight was still very faded so I installed “eyelids”. It covered the not so great looking part of the headlights and gave the car a bit more of an aggressive look. About
    $10-ish.

Third was the door lights. I removed the yellow lights and installed LED projectors. So now every time I open my door, I’ll see a bmw logo projecting on the ground. About $5-ish.

4th was wrapping my interior trim with carbon fiber. Super easy DIY I learned from JD cars on YouTube . About $15-ish. I had some vinyl left over so I wrapped the gas tank door cover too and was going to go for the side mirrors too but I didn’t have enough vinyl left.

5th was changing the start/stop button from black to red. $5 and took less than ten mins. JD cars also has a DIY on it.

Easy budget mods that’ll make a difference.

I still want to upgrade to super white angel eyes as well as upgrade all interior lighting to LEDs and add a carbon fiber spoiler. I had a bumper lip but I hit a coyote and that was a bust. (I cried for both my bumper lip and the poor animal) lol.

When I got the car it already had a black shark fin antena, black kidney grilles, black gas tank door cover and black side view mirrors. So that was a given.

I still have stock wheels, I can’t decide on my wheel and tire setup yet. I’m too picky lol.

You’ll learn a lot on YouTube. Not just about mods but maintenance and detailing as well. My go-to’s are JD Cars, Justin Buice, Chemical Guys and Chris Fixx. Check them out if you’d like.

Welcome to the BMW world.
    I hope you’re enjoying your car!

Here’s a quick glimpse of my daily driver. The black blotch on the bumper is where paint used to be before that the coyote managed to chip it off :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow.
    I have a 2007 328i 6-speed sport package, silver on black I will be selling, I really love the way the manual gearbox shifts, and how well planted the E90 chassis is. Honestly, after owning many E90's in the family, I would not worry about the milage, and be concerned with the maintenance instead. The N54 and N52 engines are nearly identical, and have no problems into the higher mileage if taken care of. My 335i has 146k miles on it, and has been over 600whp for nearly 40k of those miles without a problem. As long as oil changes are done often (stick with 7k miles, and not 12-15k miles), and the cooling systems are FULLY addressed (water pump, Thermostat, raidiator, and ALL of the lines/o-rings), these cars seem to keep going strong.

The biggest change you can make to the exterior would be polishing the headlights. I strongly recommend you remove the front bumper, and double tape the entire area before proceeding, as well as keeping a constant flow of water above the light to wash away any plastic. If you have a non-LCI model, then changing the tail lights to an LCI design, and also the rear trunk is a nice upgrade as well. Then obviously tinting the car helps.

Best of luck, enjoy the new car.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President