Thread: door locks going crazy

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX

door locks going crazy

Hello all,

I thought one of you might have the answer to this. Suddenly, my door locks are locking and unlocking themselves arbitrarily. I've dug under the rear seat and pulled a couple orange relays and got it to stop. Should these relays be resoldered? Will my car catch on fire again?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Asynchronous Position signal back to the GM, maybe a microswitch or a broken wire. Here a copy of the GM info:
    SUBJECT: New General Modules (GM) MODELS: 7 Series (E32), 5 Series (E34) - Vehicles produced 9/91 and later
    Situation: New general modules have been used in production since September 1991 in all E32 and E34 models. The software has been completely revised (details of these revisions are found in the attachment to this Service Information Bulletin). Part numbers have been changed to reflect these revisions, as listed below, as of September 1991. Model Part Number
    E32 61 35 8 356 095,
    E34-up to 61 35 8 356 095 9/91 production
    E34-9/91 and later production 61 35 8 355 812
    Note:
    E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later have different central locking system components from earlier E34 vehicles; therefore, P/N 61 35 8 355 812 is used only in E34 vehicles produced 9/91 and later, P/N 61 35 8 356 095 can be used in E34 vehicles produced prior to 9/91, and in all E32 vehicles. When the general module is connected to the vehicles electrical system, it will recognize (and store in memory) the vehicle configuration, such as:
    - with/without power windows
    - With/without power sunroof
    - with/without wiper contact pressure control
    - with/without headlight washers
    Important Information
    All general modules must be plugged in only after disconnecting the vehicle's battery. If the vehicle's battery is connected when the GM is installed, undefined signal contacts can cause an incorrect vehicle configuration to be stored, resulting in the impairment of
    one or more of the above-mentioned systems. If one or more of the GM functions are impaired in this matter, the GM can be "cleared" by disconnecting the vehicle's battery for at least ten seconds.

GM Function Changes E32/E34 (Beginning with 9/91 Production)
    - Repeat and Time interlock for headlight washers:
    · Time interlock: 3 minutes
    · Headlight washing at fifth windshield washing after time interlock.
    - Intensive washing pump operating time reduced from 3 to 2 seconds
    - Minimum interval for intermittent wiping is programmable down to 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds)
    - Increased wiper contact pressure during windshield washing cycle is now also provided during dry wiping portion of the cycle (previously only during washer pump operation).
    - Previously, the GM would react to opposing signals (eg., an unlock signal while trying to lock, as with a defective microswitch) by carrying out the first command, then the opposing command (e.g., locking, followed immediately by unlocking).
    Repeating the first command then results in carrying out that command (e.g., try to lock again, and locking is now carried out).
    This function ("Asynchronous Position") is omitted in the new GM for all E32 models and E34 models prior to 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 356 095), and remains in the new GM for E34 models after 9/91 (P/N 61 35 8 355 812) only for central locking commands "lock" and "double-lock".
    - After unlocking is performed due to crash sensor activation, the locking command is now reactivated by double-locking with the key from either the driver's or passenger's door.
    - The "one-touch" operation of windows has been expanded to include all four windows in the opening direction. The driver's window still has "one-touch" operation in both opening and closing directions. Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the driver's window in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing any window switch (in any direction), or by depressing the sunroof switch in the "tilt" direction (provided the sunroof is not already in the "tilt" position). Interruption of the "one-touch" feature of the sunroof in the closing direction is still accomplished by depressing the sunroof switch (in any direction).
    - The switch-off delay of the interior lights which occurs after entering the vehicle and closing the driver's door has been reduced from 20 seconds to 15 seconds.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/door...croswitch.html
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/door...k_bracket.html
    Last edited by shogun; 05-27-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I think my passenger door actuator is dead, the lock moves up and down if I pull it up And down but turning the lock by key does nothing. How to diagnose dead actuator vs broken door lock bracket? Turning passenger door lock to the lock position locks all the doors except the passenger door. Same with driver door and trunk lock
    Last edited by youngbimmer; 05-27-2019 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    you have to remove the door panel and inspect all the things. Could be even just a small item, the black and white grommets https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...light=grommets

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Update: removed door panel, door lock bracket is in perfect condition. I am able to move the lock linkage without problem to the lock/unlock position. It appears the hook that goes from the door lock to the door bracket is losing contact / slipping out, thus making the door lock pin stationary. How in the hell am I supposed to replace the grommets, I had to pray and guess to get the door lock hook to seat back into the door lock bracket. I held my finger against the hook to make sure the actuator works, and sure enough it did, sending the lock up/down as long as I had my finger pressed against the hook.

Side note: I did something incredibly stupid and sprayed WD40 into the little access hole after removing the cover, while leaving the battery connected. I saw my driver seat start to move on its own and I ran to disconnect the battery. No fuses are blown, did I fry something in my electrical system?
    Last edited by youngbimmer; 06-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Some of the grommets you can replace with the lock system in place, for some you have to losen the outside nut holding the lock cylinder and disconnect the window slider rails to get the lock out of original location to install new grommets, check in workshop manual in the section how to replace door locks.

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Some of the grommets you can replace with the lock system in place, for some you have to losen the outside nut holding the lock cylinder and disconnect the window slider rails to get the lock out of original location to install new grommets, check in workshop manual in the section how to replace door locks.
    Do I just press them in?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Yes, just push them into the locations. Best is you check the ETK first which one goes where.
    here https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_0701
    here https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=41_0704