Thread: Parcel shelf material

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti

Parcel shelf material

Anyone knows where can I get beige parcel shelf material that matches the original? I would like to recover my parcel shelf using appropriate carpet and not speaker box material that is easy to find but looks wrong.

Thanks,
    Max

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Max I bought a piece of auto interior water resistant paper press board - like is sorta like picture mate board but way better. Got a piece from a local auto upholstery supply house.

After cutting and fitting it I took it to a local auto upholstery place and had them pad and glue on a piece of vinyl of my choosing. They should have short nap carpet also or you could get some at the supply house while you're there.

This is a good plan be if you can not find a new BMW one you want.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    It's hard to find, but it is out there.
    I think you're like me, having it "close but not quite right" isn't very satisfying.
    Having had E21 320i's since 1980, and it being my first car when I was 16, it's seeing the little details that take me back.
    And for some weird reason, that parcel shelf carpet along with the factory speaker covers (the rectangular ones with the round holes) is a huge part of it.
    I redid mine a few years ago. First I did it with the closest carpet I could find, but it wasn't quite right. A bit too coarse and the color a shade off.
    I eventually found the correct carpet, and with factory speaker grills my OCD is at rest.
    Unfortunately I don't recall where I sourced it from.
    But, I MAY have enough leftover to do another parcel shelf. It's probably stuffed in my attic or a closet somewhere. If I can dig it up I'll let you know.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Max I bought a piece of auto interior water resistant paper press board - like is sorta like picture mate board but way better. Got a piece from a local auto upholstery supply house.

After cutting and fitting it I took it to a local auto upholstery place and had them pad and glue on a piece of vinyl of my choosing. They should have short nap carpet also or you could get some at the supply house while you're there.

This is a good plan be if you can not find a new BMW one you want.
    Thanks Daryl. The shelf itself if fine (cardboard part), the carpet is very faded and old. I am trying to source the correct kind of carpet and reupholster it myself. I do not know of any auto upholstery places around here so it's just me who will do the work.

Max

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalE21 View Post
    It's hard to find, but it is out there.
    I think you're like me, having it "close but not quite right" isn't very satisfying.
    Having had E21 320i's since 1980, and it being my first car when I was 16, it's seeing the little details that take me back.
    And for some weird reason, that parcel shelf carpet along with the factory speaker covers (the rectangular ones with the round holes) is a huge part of it.
    I redid mine a few years ago. First I did it with the closest carpet I could find, but it wasn't quite right. A bit too coarse and the color a shade off.
    I eventually found the correct carpet, and with factory speaker grills my OCD is at rest.
    Unfortunately I don't recall where I sourced it from.
    But, I MAY have enough leftover to do another parcel shelf. It's probably stuffed in my attic or a closet somewhere. If I can dig it up I'll let you know.
    Yes, exactly. I did put in new speakers (shallow factory ones) and grills with spacers, makes such a difference. If you can find that carpet, that would be great!
    After looking for a while I found esty carpet and I may get the proper material there. I will have to contact them to see.

Thanks,
    Max

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320iS
    Shoot, I just noticed your carpet is tan. Mine is grey/black.
    Etsy may be close, but I don’t know if it’s exactly right. Hopefully it is, though!
    I’m pretty sure I sourced mine from Global Upholstery on Main Street in Santa Ana, CA. You can google them. They have a lot of OEM carpet and materials.
    Also, I know how to sew, but I don’t have an industrial sewing machine. Trying to get the piping sewn on myself, to where it looked perfect, was not possible for me. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it’s trickier than it seems.