Thread: 2019 Monaco GP

My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG

2019 Monaco GP

It is Monaco. So no action unless there is rain or spectacular crashes. I'm glad the legend won, nice win for Niki. Amazing those medium tires lasted that long, but in Monaco no good overtaking opportunities.

Leclerc shows why he is still a /rookie. Early season success got to his head. Still i think he will perform better as the season progresses. Nice race for Toro Rosso and Sainz.

My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Monaco remains the least compelling race on the calendar.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Yet another great example why tire compounds need to go. They're stupid, contrived, and bad for the sport. Let the drivers race hard for the full distance. Pirelli have already said they can do it.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    N/A
    Seems like interest in the races this year is slipping. Fewer and fewer comments about the races on here. Here's to hoping 2020 is more interesting.

just watched last night

my thoughts:

Hammy is a cool ass cucumber....he toyed w them...even at what, 90% speed?...he almost never slips up.

MB power is big, Hammy pulled on Verst over and over and over.

RB/Verst can run all day up Hammys ass and never over heat?

while Vettel does 2 mins up close and then runs hot?...wonder how much faster Vettel was than Verst, if at all?

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    Seems like interest in the races this year is slipping. Fewer and fewer comments about the races on here. Here's to hoping 2020 is more interesting.
    Well, realistically, what product are we being offered?

If you drill down to the basics, F1 is a race series that punishes flat-out racing with artificial consequences.

-Allocation of tires purposefully designed to fall apart.
    -Refueling prohibited and fuel flow limited.
    -Slower cars rewarded with straight line aero advantages over faster cars.

Doesn't sound very compelling.

This ignores the intangibles; things like drivers who seem more interested in gaining positions by whining on the radio rather than actually passing the car in front of them, or ridiculous grid place penalties for mechanical infractions entirely out of the driver's control.

It also ignores how square the sport has become. It's mildly ridiculous to pretend that there isn't a natural human draw to watching mad drivers risk death to pilot the fastest, loudest, most developed race cars on the planet around the best race tracks in the world against the backdrop of devil-may-care wealth and ample cleavage. On that score, the edge is gone.

The powers that be have turned F1 into a gimmicky, vanilla series that only stands out, today, by cashing in on the memory of what used to be.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What he said above.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I have tried to watch a race or two this year, but nothing really excites me anymore. In fact, I didn't even watch much of 2018 races. The same rules still exist with ever so slight changes here and there. Engine, aero/body rework, tires, penalties, haven't really changed at all. The sport has become quite dull and boring dare I say.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I had an interesting F1 conversation with a younger guy over the weekend.
    Seems he is quite enthusiastic about F1 having tired of NASCAR. He was incredulous when I declared it to pretty much suck these days but he has no basis for comparison. I suggested he take in one of the major vintage events to get a small taste and some youtube viewing, such as Spain '96.
    Perhaps there is a future for F1 but I certainly ain't part of it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Well, realistically, what product are we being offered?

If you drill down to the basics, F1 is a race series that punishes flat-out racing with artificial consequences.

-Allocation of tires purposefully designed to fall apart.
    -Refueling prohibited and fuel flow limited.
    -Slower cars rewarded with straight line aero advantages over faster cars.

Doesn't sound very compelling.

This ignores the intangibles; things like drivers who seem more interested in gaining positions by whining on the radio rather than actually passing the car in front of them, or ridiculous grid place penalties for mechanical infractions entirely out of the driver's control.

It also ignores how square the sport has become. It's mildly ridiculous to pretend that there isn't a natural human draw to watching mad drivers risk death to pilot the fastest, loudest, most developed race cars on the planet around the best race tracks in the world against the backdrop of devil-may-care wealth and ample cleavage. On that score, the edge is gone.

The powers that be have turned F1 into a gimmicky, vanilla series that only stands out, today, by cashing in on the memory of what used to be.
    Very well said, sir

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I had an interesting F1 conversation with a younger guy over the weekend.
    Seems he is quite enthusiastic about F1 having tired of NASCAR. He was incredulous when I declared it to pretty much suck these days but he has no basis for comparison. I suggested he take in one of the major vintage events to get a small taste and some youtube viewing, such as Spain '96.
    Perhaps there is a future for F1 but I certainly ain't part of it.
    its a bit funny when I read vintage and 96 in same paragraph.......but I hear ya. Ive watched f1 since the 70s..........

Im all for safety and progression, but it really does suck right now.

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    At least Ferrari had a chance to dethrone Mercedes last year. In that respect, last season was fairly interesting. This year is already over for them. Even the midfield battles don't really seem as interesting this year. It's a crapshoot as to which one of them has the right combination of car and setup to get the tires to work properly for a given race.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Well said, Stuttgart951.

I haven’t bothered to watch a full race yet, only recaps. Blame Bernie and Todt.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    N/A
    So what's the fix? Two tire manufacturers? Refueling? I don't like the halo but I'd defer to the drivers. sounds like crap so remove hybrid but that is the future. Fix aero and size so you don't have to have drs? The fuel restriction is interesting.

It's always going to be a balance between pushing tech which these days has fuel efficiency in there vs outright racing.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    So what's the fix? Two tire manufacturers? Refueling? I don't like the halo but I'd defer to the drivers. sounds like crap so remove hybrid but that is the future. Fix aero and size so you don't have to have drs? The fuel restriction is interesting.

It's always going to be a balance between pushing tech which these days has fuel efficiency in there vs outright racing.
    I mentioned the tire solution, that's the easy one to fix. The engine solution is basically a non-starter at this point, which sucks. I wish someone like Cosworth would make a real engine so the manufactures don't need to worry about looking carbon neutral or whatever bullcrap they're trying to pull with these hybrids.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!