Thread: 98’ 528i Bmw Aux Fan not coming on

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw

98’ 528i Bmw Aux Fan not coming on

I have searched through many threads on why the auxiliary fan in an e39 won’t come on but I have a question which the threads haven’t quite answered. If I replace the fan itself, which I did, do I have to replace the so-called resistors as well? Or do they come on the fan itself? I replaced my fan bc it wouldn’t turn on and was seized (very difficult to turn by hand). I changed the temp switch and the fan is an oe labeled Behr fan from FCP euro (made in china). The auc sensor is connected but I don’t really know if it works and whether or not it’s failure will prevent the fan from coming on. But just to reiterate are the resistors independent from the fan assembly or do they come together in the fan with people simply replacing the resistors if the fan motor is still good? Hopefully someone can please clarify this as I don’t know what’s next to do to get my fan working. Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    I believe that the resistors are standalone, my aux fan ONLY runs on high, never low, why? I believe the first resistor is no good, I have thought about bypassing it completely and letting the high fan come on in all occasions but have not had any problems thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandagon4d View Post
    I believe that the resistors are standalone, my aux fan ONLY runs on high, never low, why? I believe the first resistor is no good, I have thought about bypassing it completely and letting the high fan come on in all occasions but have not had any problems thus far.

So if they are independent, do you know where they are and how to access them? But okay I get you. As long as it works right?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Young 23 View Post
    So if they are independent, do you know where they are and how to access them? But okay I get you. As long as it works right?
    Yup bahaha, they are on the inside of the fan cover, if I remember correctly, it could also be that your relays have gone bad, that is a common problem
    and the relays are not exactly easy to get to. They are behind the glove box, there’s one for the high speed setting and the low speed setting.

When I sat behind the glove box I don’t mean up in the top, I mean taking out the liner in the top of the passenger side footwell and reaching up there into the tiny space, (that’s where mine are anyway, 1998 528i, not sure if it varies by model but both of my e39’s are like this)

Hope this helps! I will try to get a photo of their location tomorrow if I can remember, lad.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Yup bahaha, they are on the inside of the fan cover, if I remember correctly, it could also be that your relays have gone bad, that is a common problem
    and the relays are not exactly easy to get to. They are behind the glove box, there’s one for the high speed setting and the low speed setting.

When I sat behind the glove box I don’t mean up in the top, I mean taking out the liner in the top of the passenger side footwell and reaching up there into the tiny space, (that’s where mine are anyway, 1998 528i, not sure if it varies by model but both of my e39’s are like this)

Hope this helps! I will try to get a photo of their location tomorrow if I can remember, lad.
    Wait so are you saying that they are inside the fan cover or behind the glove box? Or both? But hey if you could I would greatly appreciate it brother!!!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Young 23 View Post
    Wait so are you saying that they are inside the fan cover or behind the glove box? Or both? But hey if you could I would greatly appreciate it brother!!!
    The relays are behind the glove box, resistors behind the fan cover.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    The relays are behind the glove box, resistors behind the fan cover.

Ohhhh okay I misinterpreted you sorry. But cool that’s much more clear!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    One relay is in the DME box and the other one is behind the glove box.
    The resistors are mounted on the aux fan metal frame.

See pic of DME box here.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-speed-always
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-25-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added link

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Here is a detailed writeup I used at one point to fix my Aux Fan.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ervice-READ-ON

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post

See pic of DME box here.
    How can I test the relay in the dme box? And are relays basically fuses?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CSMBlack-540i View Post
    Here is a detailed writeup I used at one point to fix my Aux Fan.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ervice-READ-ON
    Nice thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

See pic of DME box here.
    And thanks too!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Thanks to everyone that responded overnight! Especially Jim, you’re a legend man!

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Okay I checked the fuses/relays behind the glove box and they are fine, not blown. The relay/fuse in the dme box is there, I just don’t know how to test it as I don’t have a light. Let’s say that it’s good, could the auc sensor stop it from turning on if it’s bad?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Young 23, your going to need a test light or meter to do some testing.
    A relay is just an electrical switch, it consists of a coil that when energized with 12 volts makes the mechanical part of the switch to move to complete the circuit.

There are a few relay drawings you can click on that shows the internal guts of it.
    Terminals 85 and 86 are the coil, when the coil isn't energized 30 is connected to 87a.
    When the coil is powered 30 then connects to 87.
    Pretty simple isn't it.
    Class is over.
    https://www.rallylights.com/hella-hl...-40a-spdt.html
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-25-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Added more info.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Young 23, your going to need a test light or meter to do some testing.
    A relay is just an electrical switch, it consists of a coil that when energized with 12 volts makes the mechanical part of the switch to move to complete the circuit.

There are a few relay drawings you can click on that shows the internal guts of it.
    Terminals 85 and 86 are the coil, when the coil isn't energized 30 is connected to 87a.
    When the coil is powered 30 then connects to 87.
    Pretty simple isn't it.
    Class is over.
    https://www.rallylights.com/hella-hl...-40a-spdt.html
    Yea makes complete sense! And I’ll be getting one soon to test mine out. Thanks a lot!

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    I hope you guys see this but I tested my fan but jumping the leads on the temp sensor switch and it turned my fan on in both low and high speed. So the fan is good! However, it is worth noting that the ambient temp sensor is missing (that’s how I got it). Could that prevent the fan from turning on? Also, upon further inspection, I found that the high side pressure switch for the ac is broken off, with the sensor in place but the female and male connector attached to the harness. I have no idea how either happened. Could this be the cause of my issue?

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Just in case anyone sees this, upon the reinstallation of my ambient air temperature sensor and high pressure refrigerant sensor, my fan started to work as soon as the ac is turned on. I’ve yet to confirm if it turns on from idling and reaching hot temperatures but still, at least my ac is working fine now. Thanks to everyone

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Happy to hear that! If anything else comes up, good or bad, feel free to respond to this thread!

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Happy to hear that! If anything else comes up, good or bad, feel free to respond to this thread!
    Of course! Thanks!

My Cars
    CDN 98 540iA M62 3.15
    Great work! Always nice when an OP with a particular issue comes back to report the solution to help future members troubleshoot theirs.

My Cars
    1998 528i bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by CSMBlack-540i View Post
    Great work! Always nice when an OP with a particular issue comes back to report the solution to help future members troubleshoot theirs.
    That’s exactly why I came to post it despite no further replies. Hopefully it will help someone in the future. Thanks for the shout out!