Thread: 328i auto vert top problems

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328iC

328i auto vert top problems

Hey all, I'm new to these BimmerForums! I come from a background of Japcrap (namely Mazdas) and my '97 328iC is a whole new playground for me.
    So, the previous owner informed me that the convertible top motor got wet at some point and is fried, which is fine. Out of curiosity today, I tried to open up the top manually (by popping out the tab, getting a 4mm allen key, unlocking it manually and pulling it down. However, I ran into a small issue...My laziness brought me to use a power drill and plug in an allen socket to it to speed up the process of unlocking the top using the mechanism. Unfortunately for me, this caused the bolt to literally drill through the top of the motor. Can't fix it, it's no good.

Now, I could probably get another one of these from a junkyard and put a new motor in there, but it seems expensive and it could just break again; I see a lot of people complaining about these breaking frequently. If possible, I'd like to convert my automatic top to a full manual, like with the twisting latch and all. It just seems like much less of a hassle and a lot less electrics to worry about. Could anyone direct me toward a thread or a video that might describe this well? I did some searching and couldn't find anything of relevance. I just don't know what parts I need to buy (if any), and what I have to do in order to convert it to manual top.

Thanks for any help guys! Sorry for being a completely dumbfounded beginner, guess we all gotta start somewhere, huh?

Link to my idiotically destroyed locking mechanism: https://imgur.com/LCfb9eA

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Top locking motors do not fail usually unless the person whips out the drill......
    You can convert the top to full manual. You will need the front manual locking system and then the rear locking tonneau system. I can supply you with a replacement locking motor or the front manual parts. I do not currently have the rear parts.

If converting to manual you will also need to cut out the U shaped bracket on each side of the top frame. I can show you in detail with pics if needed.

My Cars
    E36, 9-2x
    Quote Originally Posted by 66 6 View Post
    Top locking motors do not fail usually unless the person whips out the drill......
    You can convert the top to full manual. You will need the front manual locking system and then the rear locking tonneau system. I can supply you with a replacement locking motor or the front manual parts. I do not currently have the rear parts.

If converting to manual you will also need to cut out the U shaped bracket on each side of the top frame. I can show you in detail with pics if needed.
    Would you be so kind to show us? Same exact thing happened to me last Wednesday. Recently posted about it asking for suggestions. I too would like to go full manual. My knowledge is too limited to continue trying to figure out the auto top.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooghee View Post
    Would you be so kind to show us? Same exact thing happened to me last Wednesday. Recently posted about it asking for suggestions. I too would like to go full manual. My knowledge is too limited to continue trying to figure out the auto top.
    You replace the auto locking setup on the front of the top with the manual set up.
    You remove all the rear motors and add the manual specific cables and handle inside the car that locks and unlocks the tonneau.
    You cut off the 2 U shaped brackets in the top linkage to allow for full manual use.
    You buy a manual top headliner as now your full auto headliner will not fit at the front locking area.
    You get your ass out of the car to put the top up and down but it's allot less cussing and complaining about how your full auto top is FUBAR!

My Cars
    E36, 9-2x
    Thank you for the input. Is there a step by step thread you can direct me to? Seems pretty straight forward but for example, I don’t know what you mean by the U shaped brackets that you say need to be cut out.