Thread: Misfire/Running Lead/MAF?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is

Misfire/Running Lean/MAF?

Alright team, I searched everywhere and I have some idea what’s going on but can’t pin point it need some detectives or someone to help me out.

I have a 1997 328i and ever since I finished building it always felt like the transmission was bad because car was sluggish and felt like some gears were slipping. Automatic btw trans fluid was filled too. Then after some driving I noticed that the catalytic converters were over heating and driving up hills even if I floored it car wouldn’t go fast. Car has been throwing codes P1519 P0173 P1189 P1188. Doing some research it seemed like it vacuum leak or MAF. So I decided to clean MAF and used electronic cleaners, I know stupid. But never had a problem before and so plug it all back in and this is when hell breaks loose. White smoke coming out the back and car it smells like fuel insanely. Engine coolant fine not over heating. Everything points to CCV. So I replace that and no avail still rough idle and running super lean. Unplugging MAF does nothing to idle not does opening engine oil cap. I don’t feel a vacuum either there. New MAF coming and gona do a smoke test. I cleaned codes and now a misfire code in cylinder 6 and the same P1519 came up. Swapped coils and the problem still is in 6 cylinder.

Now what....
    If the new MAF doesn’t solve it where should I go from here. Engine was complete rebuilt too.
    Thanks for reading all that please help

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Smoke test for vacuum leaks. Replace both pre-cat oxygen sensors. New coils, off ebay. Do a compression check. Get a cheap laptop and put INPA on it, the cable adapter is on ebay or amazon or their are links for the cable in the post below.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-Ig...4/192338283609

- - - Updated - - -

Also start running injector cleaner, try CRC GTP on the first tank and then Royal Purple atomizer for a couple more tanks.

- - - Updated - - -

If things don't get better after all that then you might have to do a compression check, you might have a cracked head. Was the head rebuilt or did you just put a new head gasket?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you put new vanos seals when you rebuilt the engine?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1992 bmw 325i
    Most likely a vacuum leak, I have a similar problem on a 92 325i. Still haven't solved it but in your case it happened when u cleaned the maf, I seen people do a vacuum smoke test with a vape so I am going to try that myself this weekend.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Hey, so did not put new seals when rebuilding vanos, and head was rebuilt , did a Frankenstein build by putting in cams and crank from an e46. The block was fine. I’ll do a smoke test ASAP and get the INPA and do some diagnostics. Really appreciate the help!

- - - Updated - - -

Yea that’s what I was thinking too , gona ask a friend to just vape into it lol