Thread: M5/540i Thrust Arms: Lemforder vs. OEM (lots of pictures)

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX

M5/540i Thrust Arms: Lemforder vs. OEM (lots of pictures)

I've been planning on overhauling my creaky 100k mile front suspension in my 540i, so I bought the full Lemforder kit from FCP Euro.

Within days of receiving it, I saw THIS thread talking about the thrust arm bushings failing in a week.

So, I ordered OEM thrust arms and OEM thrust arm bushings with the intention of using those instead, and since I haven't sent anything back yet I took a whole bunch of pictures comparing the two.

Here is both side by side. (The OEM thrust arms do not come with bushings, they are an extra $80 for the bushing set which includes both.)

Here are the bottoms of the ball joints. Top is OEM, bottom is Lemforder. The numbers are different, but the number on the other OEM control arm is different too, so these appear to be identical.

Here are the ball joint boots. Top two photos are OEM, bottom two are Lemforder. The markings on the boots are identical.

Another view of the ball joints. Top is OEM, bottom is Lemforder. Again, they appear to be identical.

Markings near the bushings. Top photo is OEM, bottom is Lemforder. The markings are similar but the Lemforder ones are upside down relative to OEM. Oddly enough, the other Lemforder arm does not have these markings reversed and appears identical to OEM.

Opposite side markings. Top photo is OEM, bottom is Lemforder. These markings are completely different. Oddly enough, the other Lemforder arm appears nearly identical to OEM except these marks have been ground off.

The stickers. Top photo is OEM, bottom is Lemforder. Stickers are different.

Bushings. Top two photos are OEM, bottom two are Lemforder. These are wildly different, OEM are marked "CONTITECH" and Lemforder are marked "BOGE". The Lemforder BOGE bushings appear identical to the ones that failed prematurely in the thread linked at the beginning of this post.

After comparing the arms side by side, I've decided to use the Lemforder arms with the OEM Contitech bushings and just toss the Boge bushings in the trash. As far as I can tell, the ball joints appear to be 100% identical and I haven't seen any reports of Lemforder premature ball joint failure. I hope someone else finds this comparison helpful.

Price for Lemforder arms: $110.56 each*

Price for OEM arms: $234.44* each

Price for OEM bushing kit (includes 2): $85.60*

So, for OEM arms and OEM bushings, the total comes out to $554.48.

For Lemforder arms with OEM bushings, the total is $306.72. I think in this case the savings of nearly $250 make the Lemforder arms/OEM bushing combination very worthwhile.

*Price are taken from FCP Euro 5/24/2019.

To anyone seeing this in the future, suppliers get changed relatively frequently and parts you order may or may not be different than these.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 05-24-2019 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Are there any "Heavy Duty" or Poly or Hardened Rubber type bushings that could potentially be used?

Great info here!
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Are these the bushings that are supposed to be filled with some fluid that leaks out?
    They look like solid rubber.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    So, the conclusion : use Lemforder arms, but replace their (Boge ?) bushings with oem (Contitech) bushings. ..?! right ?!

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
    Are there any "Heavy Duty" or Poly or Hardened Rubber type bushings that could potentially be used?

Great info here!
    I've heard of some folks using X5 thrust arm bushings in M5s, and there's some aftermarket polyurethane options as well. I'm not really interested in the increased NVH from poly and I don't know much about the X5 option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaaap View Post
    Are these the bushings that are supposed to be filled with some fluid that leaks out?
    They look like solid rubber.
    The Lemforders are fluid filled based on the photos of them leaking in the linked thread, but I'm not sure about the OEM. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    So, the conclusion : use Lemforder arms, but replace their (Boge ?) bushings with oem (Contitech) bushings. ..?! right ?!
    That's what I'm planning on doing, to me it looks like the Lemforders are the same except for the bushings.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    For what it's worth. On FCP Euro's site you can even spot the bushing difference between Lemforder and OEM in the pictures. The Meyle thrust arm's bushing looks to be the same design as the OEM design. I know some folks don't like Meyle, but I personally have never had any issues with them on my previous e36's.

OEM: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31121092610oe

Meyle: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...1092610my#desc

Lemforder: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...21092610l#desc
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I have X5 bushings on the M5 and will be installing them on the 540i. It really made a lot of difference. Another upgrade is to get the 540iP or 740iP bushings, they're reinforced, almost solid, with little to no fluid.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    I have X5 bushings on the M5 and will be installing them on the 540i. It really made a lot of difference. Another upgrade is to get the 540iP or 740iP bushings, they're reinforced, almost solid, with little to no fluid.
    Are they less comfortable?

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Great thread and information! Thanks to the OP for the research. I have the Lemforder replacement arms, but had Meyle solid rubber bushings pressed in. I now have about 160,000 miles on them. Surprisingly, the ball joints are still good, and only have some minor cracks starting to form on the Meyle rubber bushings. The tech that did the inspection recently said they are still fine for now, but continue annual inspection. Previously I was using OEM BMW bushings (from the dealer) but they would crack and leak pretty early...in one instance after only 40k miles.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaaap View Post
    Are they less comfortable?
    Not at all, I would even say the opposite. They're better. Rides more "planted" and steering response was greatly improved. The only best thing I've tried is monoballs. I don't care for poly bushings, as they are harsher than monoballs in some conditions, and they're not good in the NVH department

Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Great thread and information! Thanks to the OP for the research. I have the Lemforder replacement arms, but had Meyle solid rubber bushings pressed in. I now have about 160,000 miles on them. Surprisingly, the ball joints are still good, and only have some minor cracks starting to form on the Meyle rubber bushings. The tech that did the inspection recently said they are still fine for now, but continue annual inspection. Previously I was using OEM BMW bushings (from the dealer) but they would crack and leak pretty early...in one instance after only 40k miles.
    My experience has been the same, I even have had OE Genuine bushings go bad after only a couple of thousand miles.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    So, the newer recommendation is : Lemforder arms, with MeyleHD solid rubber bushings ?!..yes..?

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    There's the Lemforder arms that comes with HD Lemforder bushings. I just got a pair from ECS. $105 a piece I believe. That or they have this very reasonable priced bushing (HD improved version) at $26.45 per piece and it's made in germany. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rein-par...126769715~ren/
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    528iT
    I'm going to disagree with the poly bushing arguement. I had Powerflex bushings put in my X5 because the NY roads and constant stop and go traffic killed my thrust arms bushings. The Polys made a huge difference in stopping/tracking, and zero increase in NVH. I did subframe bushings as well because my were trashed and same thing...rear felt more connected and my alignments we're back into spec.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Picking at nits here but your use of OEM just adds to the confusion here on the interwebz.

What (i think) you intend to say is that you bought OE (Original Equipment) thrust arms, as in the same thrust arms put on in the factory and the same thrust arms you can buy at the dealer (or BMW branded). Lemforder is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of the thrust arms. So, the thrust arms you bought from FCP are OEM.

You didn't say where you bought the second set of thrust arms, but if you bought those from a dealer or a third party seller as BMW branded, then those are OE thrust arms. Yes, I know it's splitting hairs but there is still a lot of confusion out there as to the difference between OE and OEM. Very likely the OE stuff we buy today is built in a different factory than the original stuff too, adding more to the confusion.

Still, a lot of great information in your post and thanks for taking the time.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    After some of the discussion in here I'll probably return the 540i bushings and go with X5 bushings in the Lemforder arms.

How long until FCP bans me for returning too much stuff?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    After some of the discussion in here I'll probably return the 540i bushings and go with X5 bushings in the Lemforder arms.

How long until FCP bans me for returning too much stuff?
    I have used all the different options of thrust arm bushings and I would say that Powerflex are the way to go on the e39. My originals lasted about 100k miles, which was pretty good. Then I went with Lemforder arms with Meyle HD bushings and those lasted about 50k miles before they were causing the typical shudder under braking and shimmy at 50mph. Replaced those with X5 Lemforder bushings into the same arms and those died over the span of a month and a track weekend. I finally went with Powerflex and haven't looked back at all. They ride as good as a new set of rubber bushings and steering feel is much improved. There is no noise change at all with them. They've held up over track weekends as well and are much easier to install thanks to not needing to be pressed in or final torque done with the car loaded.

FCP hasn't banned me yet, so I think you're good, LOL.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    Within days of receiving it, I saw THIS thread talking about the thrust arm bushings failing in a week.
    I'm friends with Danny... I wonder if plowing through turns and purposefully understeering and scrubbing the front tires could have anything to do with his constant premature thrust arm failures

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    160,000 miles ago (8 or 9 years ago?), when I installed my new Lemforder arms with Meyle solid rubber thrust bushings, that was the way to go, as there were (at the time) several premature failures of the ball joint end of Meyle thrust arms. Now, many years later, I have not heard of a single failure of the Meyle thrust arm ball joint. I would hazard a guess it is "safe" to go with installing the full Meyle arm. If one wishes to remain cautious, then Lemforder arm with Meyle solid rubber thrust arm bushing.
    Last edited by f355spider; 05-27-2019 at 06:23 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    '03 540it m '03 540ia m
    My research has shown Lemforder makes the control arms for BMW. Re-boxed, re- tagged and price doubled.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    That is what the photos suggest, but Lemforder uses different bushings.

After the discussion in this thread I sent the OEM arms and bushings back and bought Meyle HD bushings for an X5 to press into the Lemforder arms.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 06-08-2019 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    I'm going to disagree with the poly bushing arguement. I had Powerflex bushings put in my X5 because the NY roads and constant stop and go traffic killed my thrust arms bushings. The Polys made a huge difference in stopping/tracking, and zero increase in NVH. I did subframe bushings as well because my were trashed and same thing...rear felt more connected and my alignments we're back into spec.
    I second this. I have Lemfoerder on my 540, but run poly on my E46 and haven't noticed any increase in NVH. In fact, I've had poly LCABs and RTABs for 2-3 years now and they don't even squeak. All I notice is the car feels SOLID (in a good way) and the bushings no longer fail after a pitiful amount of time.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Maybe riding a X5 makes poly less noticeable? Or maybe there's levels of awareness of what's going on. I hate poly. I prefer solid grilon or delrin bushings if I'm going to ride like that. Or monoballs like I'm using now. The only place where a poly bushing makes more sense (to me) is the differential boshings, and the transmission mounts.
    Diehard E39 driver.