Thread: 1988 bmw 750il exhaust noise

My Cars
    1988 bmw 750il

1988 bmw 750il exhaust noise

Hello all, before i go to the muffler shop i want your pro opinions, I have two problems:

1. I have weird noise when car is hot (I live in FL)
    If I accelerate fast i hear weird like Treee treee noise its hard to describe, its like can with hole and it vibrates, or like you put your lips together and push air though them sounds like farting ( my drive road to job is like only 5 miles, thats i think is goona be important on my other problem) it does that only around 2400rpm if i go slow everything looks good. Noise is coming from middle joint of muffler.

2. My second problem, after i replaced my center shaft bearing, well i had to remove exhaust, and after I installed everything and ran with it like 20 mins i started to smell rotten egg smell, but next day i could not locate smell anymore, and when i was driving it I noticed that i can hear like in cabin driver side engine noise, like lifters or injectors clicking,like tsila tsila tsika tsika sound, under the hood everything sounds like clockk, under the car everything sounds good, i hear more sound when I accelerate, it goes togheter faster with rpms, but if I accelerate slowly then i cannot hear the noise, before all job i swear could not hera that noise, could i messed up my exhaust manifold while i removed my exhaust?
    Because i drive short time could be that I messed up my catalytic converters? If car sit longer period and then i drive it from muffler stinky smokes comes out like burnt something, after i drive it regularly it seems fine.

Thank you
    Last edited by vinaslinis; 05-23-2019 at 04:17 PM.

My Cars
    1992 750il / 1991 560 SE
    Did you take car of the oil bar issue? Lack of oil on the cams can causes noises. But cam slap can also sound like an exhaust leak and vice versa. Rotten egg smell means a catalytic convertor is working harder than normal. Your short trips may not be getting them up to temp enough and they may be getting build-up. Gotta take her out on some longer trips. But in any case, you could have both issues. Cam slap and a small exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks are easy to figure out as you can feel it escaping usually. For cam slap, remove the beauty cover on top. The injectors are LOUD so again, could be the source of the noise - its why they put that heavy thick cover on in the first place. But get some video if you can of the noise.

My Cars
    1988 bmw 750il
    I will try to video tape it after work, i secured banjo bolts while i did my valve cover gaskets, if you look trough oil fill neck pass side lobes are in constant nice stream of oil, hopefully other side is doing the same, when I listen very close to the top of the engine on both sides it sounds the same, tonight i am going to put it on the lift and try to get into this deeper

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    as for your cat problem, recheck if you mixed up the connectors for the 2 oxy sensors, that happens quite often, that people do connect the sensors wrong, because the wire looms coming from the engine bay end up near the center bearing.
    Then the sensor for the cat right side sends the signal to the DME left side and the sensor for for left side sends the signal to DME right side and miore and more unburnt fuel comes from the exhaust, the sensor for the right side comes into the connector right side and left to left, here some pics http://infinitier.ddo.jp/e32/page/ma...inte_50707.htm

also make a stomp test. On twelve-cylinder cars, the engines are controlled by two completely separate DME systems that act independently of each other. There are two DME computers (ECUs) located within each 12-cylinder car. To access the 2nd ECU, you press down the accelerator six times instead of five. The codes returned will be identical to the codes listed above, except for the first digit, which will be the number two instead of the number one.
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...de_reading.htm

The noise could come from vibrating heat protection shields around the exhaust, check that.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-23-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1988 bmw 750il
    Ok after i checked everything, i found my first farting problem was the center joint of muffler got lots of rusts and when it gets hot probably some kind of hole opens and then she farts. Ok no problem here.

But that tap tap or cika cika cika cika noise still there, o did a good snug on every bolt i have touched, but it is still there. On video its hard to tell

My Cars
    1988 bmw 750il
    Well my car is 1988 01 and i tryed to do stomp test but probably something is wrong, my leg or my e32 does not have that ability. While we came to all those test, SOMETIMES before i start my car, i dont see that EML lights up, the car starts like slow, but after restart it starts strong like champ and yes EML lights up and shuts off
    Last edited by vinaslinis; 05-23-2019 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    maybe the stomp test does not work on a 01/1988 model, have heard from other from 1987 built years E32. " like in cabin driver side engine noise">>>in the youtube I cannot hear anything.
    Do you have a wiper pressure control for driver side wiper?
    In case that wiper pressure motor gear is damaged, you can hear some ticking. Easy to check if you have that wiper pressure system, under rear sear driver side there is a black relays and ADM is written on it
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/elec.../rearseat.html
    or you can see it also on the wiper, when there is this small screw installed http://bmwe32.masscom.net/dutch740/wipertensioner.htm
    In case you have ADM, pull that relay and test withiut the relay.
    Then there could also be a loud ticking from the heater valves, if the rubber cushions are bad, heater valve is also installed on driver side. http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/wate...tervalves.html
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1988 bmw 750il
    Here is my another video it seems i am getting this noise from foot well, the noise is definitely from engine, just want to be sure if it could be the gaskets on exhaust, on pass side foot well there is no noticeable noise

STUPID ME
    The problem was that the booth from steering shaft was not in place, that what gave me more noise in the cabin, now everything is good, probably I slipped out booth when i did my upper oil pan.
    Last edited by vinaslinis; 05-24-2019 at 12:08 PM.