Thread: Broken Head Gasket Bolts on 328i with Vanos

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i sedan

Broken Head Gasket Bolts on 328i with Vanos

I am currently dealing with broken valve cover bolts. My 328i is 10 years old, with 75k miles, very light use. There are many wear and tear items that are appropriately out of warranty and the owner's responsibility. Bolts in my opinion are not wear and tear items. Bolt failure is poor engineering by BMW. I notified BMW NA of the issue, which promptly refused assistance or even acknowledgement of the defect. The full repair is over $2,700. It is such a basic thing that I will not consider owning another BMW. I would strongly recommend choosing a different vehicle to own.

My Cars
    Sorry for your troubles, but you're on a BMW forum. The chances of swaying anyone away from a BMW are slim. "They don't build them like they used to" is a known fact, that applies to nearly everything, cars included.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    I just did my own Valve Cover Gasket and bolts on my 2008.
    Zero issues whatsoever.
    Simply, don't over torque the bolts, which most dealerships just reuse due to the low torque spec of 7.4 ft lbs.
    I torqued mine in the recommended start-type pattern, tightening each just a wee bit, until after approx 15-20 cycles on each by hand, they all surfaced tight together and just needed a wee hit extra tightening.

I've known many to do this. Failures in this regard are user related in my opinion.

Yes, I've read a number of posts where people broke them... keep it to 7.4 ft. lbs and use strong logic of tightening each a little at a time so the tension on the plastic cover is equal all the way until seated.

If you are looking for reasons not to buy a BMW, there are many, even more commonly considered 'flaws'. I don't think this qualifies.

Sh!tty experience though. Go for a DIY repair, it's about a 3/5 job technically, and to be fair, it's more about time pulling things off and putting them back on than the job itself.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Boo hoo
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    E90- Prev(E21s,E30s,E28)
    $2,700.00 for broken valve cover bolts?
    Forgedaboudit...

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    The fact that the stealership has you figured for a sucker has no bearing on the merits of BMW cars.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
    The fact that the stealership has you figured for a sucker has no bearing on the merits of BMW cars.
    Using the term "stealership" is highly frowned upon in this forum. There are many dealership techs that you are offending, myself included. It's actually posted in the rules of the forum somewhere...

That being said, I do agree with you where you said, "Boo hoo". Lol

Back on track, the original poster did say "valve cover bolts". However, I can't imagine that's actually what he's referring to. More than likely, he's talking about the cylinder head bolts. There are a couple (3 I think) that are still made of aluminum and the heads can break off. The expense of the repair comes from one of the bolts being blocked by the VANOS adjuster (cam gear), necessitating removing the gear, which requires re-timing the engine.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Using the term "stealership" is highly frowned upon in this forum. There are many dealership techs that you are offending, myself included. It's actually posted in the rules of the forum somewhere...

Hey White94RX,

I respect you speaking up about this. Nothing is easier than criticizing.
    We all have the option of shopping for what we believe to be a fair price for the job.
    Your free info here is seriously appreciated, by all.

My Cars
    Good to feel appreciated. I don't always get that, even here at work.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Good to feel appreciated. I don't always get that, even here at work.

No one does at work! LOL
    Appreciation is just for the personal life