Thread: M3 E36 suspension upgrade

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe (3.0)

Cool M3 E36 suspension upgrade

Hello everyone,

I know this is a well-milked thread, but...
    I am looking forward to making some modifications for the looks of my car. Planning to put some ACS split rims but before that, I feel the need to lower my car a bit. Been digging the forums for quite a while and at this point, I am super confused. At first, I thought of buying a Coilover set and my choice has stopped at KW V1's, as my budget is not as flexible and who really needs dampening and other things for a street car. Also, many say that a decent, reliable and in all aspects good coilover set starts with 1500-2000 euros, which does not fit my budget. (I've found KW V1's for 700-800 euros)

Although, now I am reconsidering of simply putting springs, so the ride feel stays relatively the same (which I enjoy) and the car may be lowered enough for the stance look. But, I have read that simply putting the springs may not work well, as the struts might suffer from that. Thus, the question is, what should I do in this case? A strut+spring combo that will remove such high wheel gap?

Here is what I have
    IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg

And here is my ultimate goal (maybe not as low, but will see)
    98b1b9e87bd61f3a.jpg
    Also are these 18 inch or 17 inch wheels? Can't figure out which would look better
    Thank you!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    The more you lower e36 the worst it rides on the street.
    That car on the picture is definitely rolling on 18" at least.

My Cars
    1999 BMW E36 M3 Turbo
    You need a cup kit, so to speak. Shocks that have been mated to a shorter spring to give you that lowered ride height.

If you put in shorter springs on your OEM shocks, over time you will hate it. The car will be harsh over the smallest bumps on the road. Not worth the effort.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveWir3 View Post
    You need a cup kit, so to speak. Shocks that have been mated to a shorter spring to give you that lowered ride height.

If you put in shorter springs on your OEM shocks, over time you will hate it. The car will be harsh over the smallest bumps on the road. Not worth the effort.
    +1 on this. But if you want full adjustability you need to get coilovers. Also the ride quality becomes considerably harsher on 18" rims, I'd stick to 17".

My Cars
    98' 323is, 92' 325is
    If you are going to do a slammed look. I would also recommend getting camber arms also. When I lowered my car on coil-overs, I blew through rear tires because my camber was off and I couldn't make the necessary adjustments because the stock arms can only go so far. I would look at getting a pair to make sure that your ride is comfy and your driving ability isn't horrendous. Some may say it is overkill but i think since you already there, you might as well swap them out.