Thread: Resurrect M3 – Bostongrun S54 Swap Build Thread

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe

Resurrect M3 – Bostongrun S54 Swap Build Thread

What’s up bimmerforums! Been a while, I’ve missed it around here. I’ve lurked for a little bit and there’s definitely some new faces, but I love how many OG’s are still around.

On to the car. I have a 96 M3 that has sadly been sitting for almost two years. Some of you may remember that about this time 3 years ago I was wrapping up a big NA S52 build along with a bunch of other goodies around the car. I finished that motor and ended up making almost 290whp. It was glorious, even in the way it grenaded a little over a year and 17,000 miles later. The damage was pretty spectacular; two holes in the block plus one in the pan, one shattered and two bent rods, and a piston that completely exploded from the skirt down. Was it dumb to build an S52 like that? Probably yeah, but honestly I don’t regret it for a second and would do it again given the chance. I haven’t heard another 6 cylinder that sounded like mine, ever, and honestly that’s what I miss the most. At the time I was self-employed (read: unemployed lol) and knew that my prospects for rebuilding it in any type of timely fashion were nil. Initially my thought was to sell it, but surprisingly enough the wife wouldn’t allow it. She forbid me to sell the car and pointed out that there’s no rush given we both have other cars and a garage spot for the M3.

So here we are. This August will be two years since it went, and finally I’m ready to start getting her back together again. I’ve been watching and guys like Bimmerman535i, gpeterson, and Braymond141 (among others) have all done invaluable work in documenting the S54 swap process and helping the community. My goal is for a swap that can be considered in the same conversations as the level of their own. Thankfully I’ve got a good base to work with. About a 1.5 years ago I bought a 0 mile S54 built by Lang Racing. The rod bearings have been replaced with WPC treated units, the VANOS has had all the Beisan treatment (cryo hub, rebuilt seals, etc. etc.), and best of all it has Lang’s stage 3 head (PnP, 5 angle valve job, supertech valve springs, +1mm Inconel valves). The owner of the motor had it built and decided last minute that he wanted a stroker instead so this one went up for sale. As you’d expect, it wasn’t cheap. And although complete as an engine, it is bare otherwise. I don’t have anything at all that bolts on to it. So, sadly, this S54 has sat 5 feet away from my M3 for a year and a half while I paid it off and prioritized other things. It’s depressing to type that lol. Thankfully things have stabilized for me and I’m ready to finally get this swap going. This won’t move quickly, likely I’m a year out from finishing her how I want (goal is to “debut” at bimmerfest next year), but I will update it as things move along.

I’ve learned that I enjoy building for the sake of building as much as I enjoy driving. This means that as time has gone on my expectations for this build have only grown. My goals can be considered somewhat lofty:

CA BAR Legal swap – It likely won’t stay BAR legal for long, but I do want that sticker to avoid as many future problems as possible

MK60 ABS and Functioning DSC – Won’t be used often, but I’d like to have the option, especially in inclement weather, and also in light of my plans for this motor…

E46 M3 Gauge cluster – I have one sitting in my garage, might as well put it to use and gain all the functionality benefits

No A/C – I live in coastal SoCal and honestly I’d only be using A/C for 2 -3 months of the year. Even then, I’m more of a windows down type of guy. Saves me some weight and more importantly some complexity

ZF 6 speed swap – Everything I’ve researched indicates this is preferable to the 420G. Plus I might be able to snag one for about $100 this weekend

Other things not necessarily mechanical include: pulling up the carpet to clean, remove the sound deadening underneath, and allow for safe welding of mounting points for my 6 point harnesses, adding a half cage, and sending my PSS9’s to Bilstein for a rebuild. Couple other minor things here and there but I’ve covered the meat of my build. The motor will eventually get some go fast goodies, but no real reason to discuss that. Yet.

If you’ve made it this far, time for pictures (and video of her grenading )

First, yes, we were hooning. This was early morning in Mexico on our way to a cars and coffee event. There were about 10-15 of us, all behind . She died gloriously, and most likely would have even under calmer circumstances, just a few miles further down the road.

The graveyard

The new heart

How she's sat for the last couple years
    Last edited by Foda420; 05-22-2019 at 04:50 PM.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Excited to see your progress. Might motivate me to get back on mine! Good luck!

My Cars
    e36 M3 x 2
    290 whp out of an s52 is insane, I am sure you miss that. That said, you will love the s54! Looking forward to following along.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    Excited to see your progress. Might motivate me to get back on mine! Good luck!
    Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked too Haha. And any way I can contribute to other's progress is cool with me
    Quote Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
    290 whp out of an s52 is insane, I am sure you miss that. That said, you will love the s54! Looking forward to following along.
    Like you wouldn't believe man. Can't even watch videos because the sound hits me in the feels. But yes, soon enough the sound of ITBs will wash away the pain lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    That's pretty exciting. Glad to see you still doing cool things to your E36.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    -Chris

My Cars
    z3
    I think the gauge cluster will be hard to make work. Busterhax is a member here who has been doing good work creating s54 z3m clusters from facelift z3 clusters with some coding and gauge face swap. May want to look into that!

Following this for future updates as well

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Good luck on the swap! Let me know if I can help illuminate the BAR/DSC. Your motor sounds like it'll be an animal once unleashed!!
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 05-23-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
    That's pretty exciting. Glad to see you still doing cool things to your E36.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks man, it's been a long time coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I think the gauge cluster will be hard to make work. Busterhax is a member here who has been doing good work creating s54 z3m clusters from facelift z3 clusters with some coding and gauge face swap. May want to look into that!

Following this for future updates as well
    Yes it definitely will be. And I'm not closed off to making a different solution work. But I've got the cluster just sitting there so I might as well give it a shot. Getting a euro cluster would also be nice but I'd imagine that would also take the same work as the regular one. Maybe I could have mine customized and figure out a way to swap the MPG gauge for an oil temp. There's time so I'm open to a few different options here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    Good luck on the swap! Let me know if I can help illuminate the BAR/DSC. Your motor sounds like it'll be an animal once unleashed!!
    Thanks! I've definitely got a ton of questions I'll be unloading on you along the way, which *if you don't mind* I'll keep in this thread for the sake of future information seekers.

I'll start with two:

I'd like to retain EWS, and I've also heard conflicting information on whether or not it needs to be aligned to pass the BAR process. Can you shed a little light on this one.

Also, I'm fairly certain the MK60 system requires new/custom brake lines when converting a 95 and earlier car but do you know if can I use my stock lines on my 96?

@M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    ’02 M5, ‘03 540, ‘98 M3
    In for updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2002 M5 Sterling Gray (88k)
    Dinan mufflers and intake, ZHP shift knob, E60 shifter, Ground Control coilovers
    Restoration in progress!

2021 M340i (25k)

Sold!
    2003 540i MSport 6sp Tit Silver (193k)
    Dinan Exhaust, Autosolutions SSK, 88C Thermostat, Koni's, BlueBus, BavSound, DUDMD Stage 2, AFE CAI

Sold!
    Aavi's 98 M3/4/5 Cosmos (137k)
    TMS Stage 3 with Shrick cams, Shorty headers and tune, M50, Stromung, 8.5 LTW's squared, PFC-Z, 3.38, Bosch H1's with city lights, CD43, BSW Stage 1, BMS SSK, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, Sunroof Eclipse, LeatherZ gauge pack

BMW CCA# 308494

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    TThanks! I've definitely got a ton of questions I'll be unloading on you along the way, which *if you don't mind* I'll keep in this thread for the sake of future information seekers.

I'll start with two:

I'd like to retain EWS, and I've also heard conflicting information on whether or not it needs to be aligned to pass the BAR process. Can you shed a little light on this one.

Also, I'm fairly certain the MK60 system requires new/custom brake lines when converting a 95 and earlier car but do you know if can I use my stock lines on my 96?

No prob, and sorry for delay. Weekend was exhausting.

I can't help much on EWS-- we deleted it and the BAR process didn't care. If you are going to do it, you'll need the LCM, EWS module, and maybe the ignition tumbler and key all to be aligned.

MK60 will need custom adapters from E36 lines to E46 lines, even on OBD2. The fitting sizes going into the pump are not the same between them, although the pipe size is the same. Check out my post in the thread for the adapter shenanigans I had to do to get OBD2 rear lines (OBD1 front lines retained) to match with the E46 DSC. I'd suggest taking a set of metal shears to your junkyard of choice and getting 2-4x every fitting, then ordering some couplers (I think I got mine from Summit)

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    No prob, and sorry for delay. Weekend was exhausting.

I can't help much on EWS-- we deleted it and the BAR process didn't care. If you are going to do it, you'll need the LCM, EWS module, and maybe the ignition tumbler and key all to be aligned.

MK60 will need custom adapters from E36 lines to E46 lines, even on OBD2. The fitting sizes going into the pump are not the same between them, although the pipe size is the same. Check out my post in the thread for the adapter shenanigans I had to do to get OBD2 rear lines (OBD1 front lines retained) to match with the E46 DSC. I'd suggest taking a set of metal shears to your junkyard of choice and getting 2-4x every fitting, then ordering some couplers (I think I got mine from Summit)
    Hmmm so good news and bad. That abs system will most likely be a grand ol' PITA. But it's an old BMW so basically everything is lol.
    Can I pull those fittings from any E46 or is it specific to certain models/build dates?

A couple months ago I bought a little prelude with the intention of fixing and flipping it to earn a little extra for this build. I was astonished at how cheap parts are and definitely went overboard and basically rebuilt the car. For like $1800.

Today, the reality of the BMW world came crashing back down on me. Trying to take advantage of some memorial day sales I just spent $1200. Bimmerworld fuel starvation kit, TMS power pulleys, new ignition coils, water pump, thermostat and housing, idler pulley and tensioners, and a few other minor bits. A couple good things in there for sure but holy crap I wasn't ready for the M Tax again Haha.

Off to sell more old parts so I can keep buying new ones I guess

@M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Hmmm so good news and bad. That abs system will most likely be a grand ol' PITA. But it's an old BMW so basically everything is lol.
    Can I pull those fittings from any E46 or is it specific to certain models/build dates?

A couple months ago I bought a little prelude with the intention of fixing and flipping it to earn a little extra for this build. I was astonished at how cheap parts are and definitely went overboard and basically rebuilt the car. For like $1800.

Today, the reality of the BMW world came crashing back down on me. Trying to take advantage of some memorial day sales I just spent $1200. Bimmerworld fuel starvation kit, TMS power pulleys, new ignition coils, water pump, thermostat and housing, idler pulley and tensioners, and a few other minor bits. A couple good things in there for sure but holy crap I wasn't ready for the M Tax again Haha.

Off to sell more old parts so I can keep buying new ones I guess

Yuuuuuuuuuuup first rule of project bmw is thou shalt not add up the costs.

Any year E46 is fine, or E36. You just need M10 and M12 fittings-- I think I went in some detail about it in my thread but it's been a hot minute. I'd honestly just raid a junkyard with some shears and get an assortment of fittings and figure out what goes where later.

My Cars
    Slow ones
    Excited for this. Did you find out what caused the s52 to grenade in the first place?

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    As noted, it's been slow going as I've accumulated parts, but I've got an update coming soon. Teaser for now!

Quote Originally Posted by E24L6 View Post
    Excited for this. Did you find out what caused the s52 to grenade in the first place?
    Sorry I missed this! Not exactly... the rod end cap came loose on cylinder 1 and ended up blowing the rod itself to bits, leaving only the top of the piston intact (wrist pin, skirt, etc. all gone). Broke all 4 mounting points for the oil pump, bent 2 other rods, spun 2 bearings, and welded 1. Taking it apart was a lesson in carnage. Perhaps most surprising was the very deep dent in the crankshaft where it hit the rod.

As to why? Best guess is to many revs on a stock bottom end for too long.
    Last edited by Foda420; 12-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupι CSM
    Hey! Glad to hear it is coming back to life. Was a sad day when I heard what happened.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by yurisuika View Post
    Hey! Glad to hear it is coming back to life. Was a sad day when I heard what happened.
    Indeed! Been a while man, you still have yours?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Man I’m more interested in the s52 build details then the s54( don’t get me wrong I love s54’s had one back in the day myself).

What kind of torques did the s52 make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupι CSM
    Indeed! Been a while man, you still have yours?
    Yeah, pretty much the same as when I probably last saw you, asides from having gotten AA headers and started messing around with RomRaider. I think it was on the 4th of July or something and you went off to some event in the LA area? Oh yeah, I was driving North on the 5 with ya for a bit... when I was around the Spectrum some debris flew into me out of nowhere... like I was many seconds from any vehicle in front of me. Scraped up my hood and smashed my windshield haha. So I got that replaced and put on a Seibon CF hood. Not really a fan of the CF look, but I guess I've gotten used to it.

The S54 swap is going to be pretty darn sweet. That Bostongrun deserves to see daylight again!