Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 530i Auto to Manual Swap

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport

2003 530i Auto to Manual Swap

So I'm finally gonna do this and have already gotten started

I bought a donor 528i sport manual for $860 and have pulled everything needed off of it and ordered a few more necessary replacement bits and pieces.

I'll be keeping the stock automatic differential for the higher 3.46 ratio it has and just swapping the pinion flange over.

My other main question / worry is whether or not my auto chassis will have the mount for the shift bushing that goes at the back of the shifter arm... I think it does but not positive.

Hoping to get this swap driveable on or before June 3rd as that's when my car needs to be out of the shop, and then I will probably do the wiring and other extras later on at home.

Links to days / progress:

Day 1: exhaust and driveshaft removal

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 1:

Got the exhaust and driveshaft out.

Exhaust removal was fairly simple, but a torch is definitely necessary for this. I used an oxy acetylene torch to heat the nuts red-hot and then they came off like butter. The hangers were actually in pretty good shape so I had a special tool to push the exhaust out of the rubber hangers rather than remove the entire hanger from the chassis. Then it came out no problem.

Driveshaft removal was also fairly simple, just taking off the bolts to the trans, remove nuts to the differential and then also take off the center support bearing nuts.

Here's my general goals (updated 5/23):

MVIMG_20190523_125657.jpg
    Last edited by 1823alex; 05-23-2019 at 04:36 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 2:

Didn't have time to take any photos but got all the bell housing bolts out which took forever. Then got the trans to separate from the engine like an inch or so but of course I got hung up on the starter dowel pin and ran out of time.

Tried tons of prying and even ended up chipping a piece of the aluminum starter housing.

Even still I ran out of time so at the moment it's sitting on the lift with a transmission jack holding it up til I come back tomorrow.

Last edited by 1823alex; 05-22-2019 at 01:37 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Reserved 2

My Cars
    2001 bmw 530i
    sweet! considered doing this for mine but not sure if I want to deal with the manual in bay area traffic. maybe i'll just get a second e39

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Keep the manual diff from donor just in case you don’t like the auto diff
    sell it somebody else doing a manual swap if you still don’t want it.

From my swap —- various $ savers:
    Grab the the large rubber grommet from the 528i’s trans tunnel that seals up the hole for auto shifter on your 530i
    also grab the short hose and grommet that goes from brake/clutch fluid reservoir to clutch master.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Keep the manual diff from donor just in case you don’t like the auto diff
    sell it somebody else doing a manual swap if you still don’t want it.

From my swap —- various $ savers:
    Grab the the large rubber grommet from the 528i’s trans tunnel that seals up the hole for auto shifter on your 530i
    also grab the short hose and grommet that goes from brake/clutch fluid reservoir to clutch master.
    Already grabbed the rubber grommets from the donor car and yes gonna save the old differential most likely.

Man that starter dowel pin is an absolute bitch though!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 3:

Today was kinda unproductive but still got some stuff done.

Took the auto flywheel off (which is significantly lighter than the manual DMF), took the starter out completely to inspect the chip on it and gonna epoxy it and then test it. I also took out the center console wood trim and removed the old automatic gear shift selector.

Screenshot_20190522-141949.jpg
    IMG_20190523_105508.jpg

Also rear main seal doesn't look to bad in my opinion and I didn't de-grease or clean it at all:
    IMG_20190523_105549.jpg

I also started to get at the pedals but didn't fully get to it unfortunately. The farthest I got was removing the upper cover above the pedal box and removing the cabin air filter box so I can access the chassis knockout for the clutch lines.

A few questions I can hopefully get an answer too:

1. Can I simply cut the nipple cover off of the automatic brake master cylinder and attach the line or do I really need to use the master cylinder from the manual car? The reservoir seems to be the only difference I think.

2. The dead pedal is a bitch to remove are there any tips? I've got everything out of its way and I know I should be pulling straight back but I feel like it's gonna break when I keep pulling on it. And once the dead pedal is out the carpet should just peel back easily, right? and if anybody has any tips for adding / hanging the clutch pedal please let me know!

3. What is the blue little rubber/plastic piece on the back of the engine, mine is deteriorated and in pieces / crumbles when you touch it, do I need a new one and if so, what's it called or what's the p/n?

Thanks all & wish me luck as I need to have this car drive-able in about 7 days... and I only get about 2 hours per day to work on it... So 14 more hours will hopefully be enough time lmao.
    Last edited by 1823alex; 05-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by 1823alex View Post

There are those people who think if the rear main isn't leaking, don't touch it. I replaced mine.

A few questions I can hopefully get an answer too:

1. Can I simply cut the nipple cover off of the automatic brake master cylinder and attach the line or do I really need to use the master cylinder from the manual car? The reservoir seems to be the only difference I think.

You have to cut off the nipple on the brake fluid reservoir and run that hose to the clutch master on the clutch pedal. Then there is a hard/soft line from the clutch master to the clutch slave on the trans.

2. The dead pedal is a bitch to remove are there any tips? I've got everything out of its way and I know I should be pulling straight back but I feel like it's gonna break when I keep pulling on it. And once the dead pedal is out the carpet should just peel back easily, right? and if anybody has any tips for adding / hanging the clutch pedal please let me know!

Not sure why you are removing the dead pedal. I didn't I removed the gas pedal in my swap and after doing that I was able to lift the carpet enough from behind the gas pedal to get access to the soft/hard clutch line. The clutch and brake pedal assembly go in /come out together after removing 3 bolts. you also have to remove the lower part of the dash under the steering wheel and I unplugged and removed the EWS module for better access.

3. What is the blue little rubber/plastic piece on the back of the engine, mine is deteriorated and in pieces / crumbles when you touch it, do I need a new one and if so, what's it called or what's the p/n?

That's the plug that keeps the hole for the top dead center pin (sold separately) clean and clear. You don't need the blue plastic pin, but if you ever think you might want to use the TDC pin, you might replace it. When it is removed, it is often a real pain to get the TDC pin through that hole due to oil and grime build up.

Thanks all & wish me luck as I need to have this car drive-able in about 7 days... and I only get about 2 hours per day to work on it... So 14 more hours will hopefully be enough time lmao.
    That's an aggressive schedule for a first time swap.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    That's an aggressive schedule for a first time swap.
    Yeah, well I have a short time frame and also do have people helping me as well as a teacher or two which I should've mentioned before haha.

Last edited by 1823alex; 05-23-2019 at 11:27 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 4:

So today I did a lot more with the pedals, was able to switch the brake pedal, hang the new clutch pedal on my existing bracket.

Also connected 1 part of the clutch master (still need to fasten the other side tomorrow).

Hanging the pedals wasn't too bad except for the awkward angle of laying upside down uncomfortably. I did end up removing both the dead pedal and the gas pedal to make it simpler which helped a lot. As far as removing the dead pedal goes I forgot one of those little quarter turn plastic screws covered by the hood release lever.

The auto bracket in my 2003 already had the pin for the clutch pedal and then I supplied the spring and other pin for the clutch master from the donor cars bracket.

Tuesday I'll need to put the carpet back, reinstall dead pedal and gas pedal as well as probably install the clutch switch too but I may skip all the electricals and code out clutch switch temporarily to speed up the process and make the car driveable home asap and then do minor wiring stuff for reverse lights etc from there.

My goal is honestly to be driving by end of Friday, Monday the 3rd the latest. But Friday seems possible if I can get to swapping the pinion flange on Tuesday as well as finalize the pedal box area and then maybe install clutch and flywheel, leaving Wednesday and Thursday for the transmission, driveshaft and exhaust install.

Have to remember to code the car and remove the trans ecu still, and bleed the damn clutch...

Question:

Just to make sure I am almost positive it can be done but I should be able to code it manual using pasoft and then turn off clutch in to start, and it'll start and drive no problem? I'd also be skipping the reverse lights wiring temporarily.

I think I'd only need pasoft, code the ike and ews and maybe dme too? But do I also need to use ncs to change the zcs/sa or will pasoft do that for me?

Thanks!

Edit: added pictures!
    Last edited by 1823alex; 05-24-2019 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Question:

Just to make sure I am almost positive it can be done but I should be able to code it manual using pasoft and then turn off clutch in to start, and it'll start and drive no problem? I'd also be skipping the reverse lights wiring temporarily.

I think I'd only need pasoft, code the ike and ews and maybe dme too? But do I also need to use ncs to change the zcs/sa or will pasoft do that for me?
    There are two clutch switches: Cruise control and clutch safety (prevents starting)

you CAN code out the clutch safety switch and it should start and run (like they do in Europe - no clutch safety switch).

you don't need the cruise control switch to start and run, but if you don't wire it in, you may have a rev hang between shifts- As I did.

I can't comment on PA Soft other than I think it is possible. I have PA Soft, and use it for some things, but I did most of the coding in NCS. Here is what I did from my write-up located at: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...03-525iT/page2

There are couple of ways to do it, but what I did was:
    Re-write the ZCS in NCS Expert. On the 6 cyl E39 all that meant was change the third digit in the GM string (1st of 3 strings in the ZCS) to a “5 ” which identifies it as a manual. “6 ” is an automatic. I first wrote this new GM string to just the IKE and EWS modules, then I wrote ( SG Coderin) to all modules. I had some minor errors in processing this in NCS expert and not every module coded properly the first time. I then re-coded one or two modules individually (GM I think) and all modules were then coded as a manual.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 5:

As usual I didn't have much time for pictures or anything but I did take some.

I put the interior back together, that clutch master cylinder clip is a bitch, I didn't realize it but it goes in sideways not from in front or behind, from the side lol. Weirdest was trying to position the clutch master as it was such a tight area but I got it held in properly from the pedal bracket and everything so it's all good.

Also was able to put the flywheel on which was pretty easy.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 6:

Since I didn't so yesterday update I'm posting both updates today lol.

But main stuff I did today was getting the clutch disc and pressure plate on. Was a really weird process with the SAC mechanism which made me nervous but was able to do it without any special tools besides the clutch alignment tool.

The trick was to use the clutch tool, put the disc in, then screw the pressure plate down all the way and torque it, 18ft lb for the grade 8.8 and 25 ftlb if they're grade 10.9. once the plate is torqued down to spec you can use a 3/16 or 4.5mm Allen to unscrew part of the clutch alignment tool and then you are able to put a 14mm Allen key in, lock the flywheel and turn to pull out the mechanism that holds the pressure plate for shipping. Finally you screw the end of the clutch tool back together and pull it out and you're good.

Also not pictured, I removed the trans cooler lines from above the car with a swivel socketed 13mm and then then you can just fish them out of the car.

Last edited by 1823alex; 05-29-2019 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Nice job! Keep us posted.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 16valex View Post
    Nice job! Keep us posted.
    Will do! Today I gotta get the manual trans bolted up and hopefully the driveshaft too. I've got basically 4 hours left cause I wanna drive it home tomorrow so hoping to get the trans, pinion flange, driveshaft and exhaust done but I know that'll be pushing it.

Still need to disconnect the transmission ecu and code car but hoping that won't take more than 30 min or so.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Day 7:

Got the transmission bolted in!!

But I forgot to connect the shifter arm to the top of the transmission with that weird clip bolt thing.... Hoping there's enough room / clearance for me to put it together with the trans bolted to the engine...

Also started the pinion flange swap on the diff and got halfway. Old flange is off, cracked my machined harbor freight socket while trying to tighten the nut on the new one. I'll have to see about another socket or how I'll put the nut back on the new flange, I did mark the nut and the pinion shaft though so I will torque it back to the marks.

Honestly all that's really left for me is gonna be putting driveshaft, exhaust back in and then disconnecting old automatic ecu and code the car manual, code out the clutch safety switch and then drive it home where I can finalize the wiring for clutch switch, cruise control and reverse lights.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Here's the photos I forgot to upload for day 7

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Sweet!
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    Sweet!
    Thanks, also an update re: the HF socket I broke, they warrantied it no questions asked, no receipt needed for a similar socket of the same size (both 6pt). I'm surprised they did it even though I literally had it machined down on the edges and that was the reason it broke but they did it anyways which was amazing.

My Cars
    No BMWs anymore
    Nice work bro! I also did this to my '97 528i 2 years ago, it was a pretty easy swap, and definitely worth it!

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Day 7:

Got the transmission bolted in!!

But I forgot to connect the shifter arm to the top of the transmission with that weird clip bolt thing.... Hoping there's enough room / clearance for me to put it together with the trans bolted to the engine...

Also started the pinion flange swap on the diff and got halfway. Old flange is off, cracked my machined harbor freight socket while trying to tighten the nut on the new one. I'll have to see about another socket or how I'll put the nut back on the new flange, I did mark the nut and the pinion shaft though so I will torque it back to the marks.

Honestly all that's really left for me is gonna be putting driveshaft, exhaust back in and then disconnecting old automatic ecu and code the car manual, code out the clutch safety switch and then drive it home where I can finalize the wiring for clutch switch, cruise control and reverse lights.

I need to code out my clutch too. Let me know how this go.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    I need to code out my clutch too. Let me know how this go.
    Will do, gonna be doing the coding and everything in around an hour or two, I'll update when done but hopefully driving the car back home today

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    Will do, gonna be doing the coding and everything in around an hour or two, I'll update when done but hopefully driving the car back home today

Thanks. I hope you get to drive it today.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Thanks. I hope you get to drive it today.
    I hope so too! I've been without it for 2 weeks now and I'm not about to spend another beautiful weekend without my car

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast