Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2003 530i Auto to Manual Swap

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Sorry again for the late update, but...

THE CAR RUNS AND DRIVES!

I drove it home on Friday (5/31) which was my goal as far as finishing it up.

Bleeding the clutch honestly took forever and we used a a few different vacuum and power bleeders to do it and eventually got it right, probably would have been easier to remove the slave cylinder to do it but whatever.

I still do need to fully out my interior back together, but I am also waiting on my shift boot from Bulgaria

One question I had was how to resync the EWS and DME? I used pasoft to code the ike and ews to manual and I disconnected the trans ecu but I still have a check engine light with code p0600 / no signal from trans ecu and then have a traction control light on.

What other coding have I missed, will I need to use ncs expert or?

From what I understood from the e39 auto to manual swap DME Question thread was that I could do all the coding with pasoft and just code the ike and ews then resync, but I couldn't find a resync button in pasoft so maybe that's why I'm having an SES light still?

Hopefully someone can shed some light in the coding issues I'm having.

Thanks!

Btw PM me if you need e39 530i automatic transmission, driveshaft etc lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2003 530i M Sport [Black Sapphire Metallic & Sand Interior]

IMG_1075 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    Congrats on coming so far, so quickly on this project. The 530i with the manual really is a great car. I get 29 highway, 21 city, and about 26 combined with mine. I was keeping up with a couple E46s and a 2008 528i today on the open road at ungodly speeds, and absolutely killed them in the curves. Now if I only had big brakes I'd be better off. The smoke smells really bad when you have to pull over to wait for your friends to catch up. With the diff from your auto, you should be in really good shape.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1823alex View Post

One question I had was how to resync the EWS and DME? I used pasoft to code the ike and ews to manual and I disconnected the trans ecu but I still have a check engine light with code p0600 / no signal from trans ecu and then have a traction control light on.

What other coding have I missed, will I need to use ncs expert or?

From what I understood from the e39 auto to manual swap DME Question thread was that I could do all the coding with pasoft and just code the ike and ews then resync, but I couldn't find a resync button in pasoft so maybe that's why I'm having an SES light still?

Hopefully someone can shed some light in the coding issues I'm having.
    You need to reset the adaptations of the DME. I can’t remember if PA Soft will do it - INPA definitely will.
    The DME will then “forget” there was an EGS control unit and not look for it or throw a code.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieE39 View Post
    You need to reset the adaptations of the DME. I can’t remember if PA Soft will do it - INPA definitely will.
    The DME will then “forget” there was an EGS control unit and not look for it or throw a code.
    1 on this. I used NCS Expert for my coding, but I definitely reset DME adaptations INPA. I also suggest you poke around PA Soft and re-code any other module that has an auto or manual button. There may or may not be others.

Congrats on all this. For my swap, bleeding with the slave out of the transmission- using a power bleeder and with the slave piston compressed with a small carpenters squeeze clamp ( a tip from a local indie) worked the first time.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    If your car starts, you don't need to resync the DME and EWS.

Reset adaptions on the DME to get rid of the trans module error. You could also flash manual software with WinKFP, but it seems that the changes there are minimal. Then I'd recommend opening up NCS expert, remove the automatic option from your ZCS, and recoding your car with that option. At a minimum, I think you'd want to code the DSC module

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    If your car starts, you don't need to resync the DME and EWS.

Reset adaptions on the DME to get rid of the trans module error. You could also flash manual software with WinKFP, but it seems that the changes there are minimal. Then I'd recommend opening up NCS expert, remove the automatic option from your ZCS, and recoding your car with that option. At a minimum, I think you'd want to code the DSC module
    Alright, I cleared the errors off the DME and reset adaptations on it using INPA.

For anyone needing to do this you select E39 > Engine > MS4X then go to Read Memory and then I think F7 or F8 is adaptations.

The car does start and drive prior to all of this so I guess no need to resync the DME and EWS, so I'll skip that. How do I go about coding the DSC module? I haven't driven the car since I reset the adaptations so I don't know if the DSC light will be on or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    1 on this. I used NCS Expert for my coding, but I definitely reset DME adaptations INPA. I also suggest you poke around PA Soft and re-code any other module that has an auto or manual button. There may or may not be others.

Congrats on all this. For my swap, bleeding with the slave out of the transmission- using a power bleeder and with the slave piston compressed with a small carpenters squeeze clamp ( a tip from a local indie) worked the first time.
    I did poke around a bit and couldn't find any recoding options for the DSC with PASoft, I did reset adaptations with INPA now so my SES light is now gone and no more codes, but we shall see if the DSC light stays on or not.

PASoft didn't have any adaptation reset option as far as I could tell, so I used INPA for it. SES light is now gone

Quote Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
    Congrats on coming so far, so quickly on this project. The 530i with the manual really is a great car. I get 29 highway, 21 city, and about 26 combined with mine. I was keeping up with a couple E46s and a 2008 528i today on the open road at ungodly speeds, and absolutely killed them in the curves. Now if I only had big brakes I'd be better off. The smoke smells really bad when you have to pull over to wait for your friends to catch up. With the diff from your auto, you should be in really good shape.
    Thanks man! I'm loving it already, hopefully as I get better at driving stick I can get my MPG higher and once I'm past the break in period of the clutch I can really romp on it, but god damn the automatic differential makes the car so torquey even in 5th.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Update: looks like my dsc light is still on the dash for some reason so I'll need to look into how to code that, anybody have ideas?

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    The DSC light is on because as Terra said, the DSC still thinks the car is an auto.
    You need to modify and code the ZCS in the car from auto to manual with NCS Expert.

This is how to do it:-

With NCS Expert read out the ZCS from IKE/KMB and/or LCM.
    Make a record of this original ZCS.

To convert auto to manual:-

In the GM line subtract 1 from the 3rd digit and remove the last digit (Checksum) and tick the calculate checksum box.

For example:-
    58B21203M
    becomes
    58A21203

In the SA line subtract 1 from the 4th digit and remove the last digit (Checksum) and then tick the calculate checksum box.

200118804420c5a4x
    becomes
    200018804420c5a4

Then code IKE/KMB and then the LCM manually (ZCS_SCHREIBEN), then carry out complete encoding on the rest of the car (Code Car = all modules).

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Hold In! Be sure this is for your specific car- For my US 530i, I only had to change one digit - 3rd digit in the GM string I think from a 6 to a 5. 6 was an auto and 5 is a Manual.
    I can’t do it now but tonight I will dig exactly what I did and post it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    The DSC light is on because as Terra said, the DSC still thinks the car is an auto.
    You need to modify and code the ZCS in the car from auto to manual with NCS Expert.

This is how to do it:-

With NCS Expert read out the ZCS from IKE/KMB and/or LCM.
    Make a record of this original ZCS.

To convert auto to manual:-

In the GM line subtract 1 from the 3rd digit and remove the last digit (Checksum) and tick the calculate checksum box.

58B21203M
    becomes
    58A21203

In the SA line subtract 1 from the 4th digit and remove the last digit (Checksum) and then tick the calculate checksum box.

200118804420c5a4x
    becomes
    200018804420c5a4

Then code IKE/KMB and then the LCM manually (ZCS_SCHREIBEN), then carry out complete encoding on the rest of the car (Code Car = all modules).

Hold In! Be sure this is for your specific car- For my US 530i, I only had to change one digit - 3rd digit in the GM string I think from a 6 to a 5. 6 was an auto and 5 is a Manual.
    I can’t do it now but tonight I will dig exactly what I did and post it.
    This sounds right as the type code for an auto is DT63 and then the manual is a DT53. If I gave you my VIN or ZCS/SA could you help me out?

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    This sounds right as the type code for an auto is DT63 and then the manual is a DT53. If I gave you my VIN or ZCS/SA could you help me out?
    Yep, no probs.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Yep, no probs.
    Thank you, what would you need? Just the VIN or more?

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Thank you, what would you need? Just the VIN or more?
    The best way to do it is with a screenshot of the NCS page or the front page of PA Soft where it reads the ZCS Code

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    what I did was:
    Re-write the ZCS in NCS Expert. On the 6 cyl E39 all that meant was change the third digit in the GM string (1st of 3 strings in the ZCS) to a “5 ” which identifies it as a manual. “6 ” is an automatic. Please NOTE: this is different from the E46, which has to modify the SA string (3rd String in the ZCS. I first wrote this new GM string to just the IKE and EWS modules, then I wrote ( SG Coderin) to all modules. I had some minor errors in processing this in NCS expert and not every module coded properly the first time. I then re-coded one or two modules individually (GM I think) and all modules were then coded as a manual. I also coded out the clutch safety switch in NCS Expert (told it was possible in PA Soft as well). I did not have to code out the 2nd clutch switch – for cruise control- as the DME recognizes it ’s not working. It does store a code for no (crusie) clutch switch, but does not cause a CEL.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    The best way to do it is with a screenshot of the NCS page or the front page of PA Soft where it reads the ZCS Code
    Here's the pasoft screenshot

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Looks like the coding to a manual did not take using PA Soft... PA Soft still says "automatic", and the 3rd digit in your GM string is a "6" which is also for auto.

you can try again to convert in PA Soft, but I would be thinking about doing it in NCS Expert.

After re-coding my car in NCS Expert I also ran PA Soft as you have done..But my car said manual and the GM string had a 5 in the 3rd digit.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Looks like the coding to a manual did not take using PA Soft... PA Soft still says "automatic", and the 3rd digit in your GM string is a "6" which is also for auto.

you can try again to convert in PA Soft, but I would be thinking about doing it in NCS Expert.

After re-coding my car in NCS Expert I also ran PA Soft as you have done..But my car said manual and the GM string had a 5 in the 3rd digit.
    Yes this is because I never changed the sa and zcs strings or whatever yet. I am waiting for the other person I quoted to help me figure out what I need to code each string to be.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Yes this is because I never changed the sa and zcs strings or whatever yet. I am waiting for the other person I quoted to help me figure out what I need to code each string to be.

5F630000 to 5F530000 should do the trick. Leave everything else the same.

Also, PASoft will still say automatic for the EWS module unless you turn off the clutch interlock.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport

Also, PASoft will still say automatic for the EWS module unless you turn off the clutch interlock.
    Thank you so much, I'll try this when I get a chance.

Next up I need to spend a day or two just doing some general maintenance on the car. It needs an engine oil change, I should probably do the transmission fluid while I'm there as I doubt it's been replaced before, and while I'm doing that I should probably also just do everything and change my diff fluid as well.

Although one thing I noticed today after driving it a little hard was 2nd was a little hard to get into while moving, but fine when stopped. While moving and then with the clutch in putting it into 2nd it's like it's going through 2 gates sort of? Not really sure how to explain, but regardless it doesn't really affect the drive ability at all.

Edit: to add to the hard to get into 2nd / 1st thing, it goes away once I do actually get it into that gear, so say I have trouble getting to 2nd, if I throw it into first (clutch still in) then go all the way back to 2nd it goes in smoothly, and same if I having trouble getting into 1st, and once I do that it's like it's fine for awhile.
    Last edited by 1823alex; 06-05-2019 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5

You also should change the SA line to:-
    20200C900D964504

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Thank you so much, I'll try this when I get a chance.

Next up I need to spend a day or two just doing some general maintenance on the car. It needs an engine oil change, I should probably do the transmission fluid while I'm there as I doubt it's been replaced before, and while I'm doing that I should probably also just do everything and change my diff fluid as well.

Although one thing I noticed today after driving it a little hard was 2nd was a little hard to get into while moving, but fine when stopped. While moving and then with the clutch in putting it into 2nd it's like it's going through 2 gates sort of? Not really sure how to explain, but regardless it doesn't really affect the drive ability at all.

Edit: to add to the hard to get into 2nd / 1st thing, it goes away once I do actually get it into that gear, so say I have trouble getting to 2nd, if I throw it into first (clutch still in) then go all the way back to 2nd it goes in smoothly, and same if I having trouble getting into 1st, and once I do that it's like it's fine for awhile.
    Change the gearbox oil and see how that goes.
    I use this and really like it:-
    https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/u...ae-75w-80.html

If an oil change doesn’t work it may be the detents or worn synchros.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    You also should change the SA line to:-
    20200C900D964504
    Rosie, may I ask where are you getting this info? I did a manual swap on US-based '03 530i and my research showed the SA lines were the same between auto and manual. I changed only the 3rd digit on the GM line from a 6 to a 5.

coding for the 8 cyl cars is different. I wonder if it is different for the non-US cars as well?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv

After my manual swap and after I coded the car as a manual, I had a nasty rev hang when shifting until I wired in the cruise control clutch switch. Once I got rid of the rev hang, shifting was much smoother.

you are also still running the auto diff right? I presume you are shifting quicker than you would with the manual diff? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Rosie, may I ask where are you getting this info? I did a manual swap on US-based '03 530i and my research showed the SA lines were the same between auto and manual. I changed only the 3rd digit on the GM line from a 6 to a 5.

coding for the 8 cyl cars is different. I wonder if it is different for the non-US cars as well?
    This BMW document mentions that the SA line has the features of the car:-
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...6&d=1454733223

If you search for files where the NCS.ediabas suite is installed, there is a file called E39000.ZST.
    Make a copy of it and paste it onto the desktop. Then rename the file to E39000.txt and open it with noteoad. Inside here you will find all the coding options for an E39 and their corresponding ZCS codes. You can then compare the differences between auto and manual.

But for every E39 in the world (unless a specific model doesn’t exist like a US 540iT/6) the changes are the same. (Subtract 1 from the 3rd digit of the GM and the 4th digit of the SA).

You can also use a program called ZEKO to generate the codes but it isn’t 100% accurate.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i M Sport
    Update: I finally coded the car's ABS / DSC module and I now have traction control. I used NCSExpert and was able to just hit Enter ZCS, remove the last digit from all of the lines, change the GM string and then select the calculate checksum button. If you don't have the right check digit at the end you'll get COAPI 1080 and 1081 errors like I did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast