Thread: Need some information on the Oil Service light

My Cars
    1985 BMW 325e

Need some information on the Oil Service light

I need some help. I have a 1985 BMW 325e. I have a question how the Oil Service light works. Before the light would light up for a second while I started the car and then disappear, ln the last two weeks 4 bars would stay light up for about 5-6 seconds then disappear, now this week only 3 bars would stay light up. I just change the oil two days ago. I try to reset the oil service light by using the skinny wire and nothing happened. What does the light means and how it supposed to read them?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by otto B; 05-21-2019 at 07:53 PM.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    I do not use the oil service lights to change oil. It takes way too many miles to indicate an oil change, good way to gum up an engine. I do mine every 5000 miles - its easy to remember. When the odometer reads xx0,000 or xx5,000, it's time to change the oil. Unless you hammer your engine, I think any brand or wt oil works. My car had some repair work done by a reputable shop, when it came back, the mechanic had put 5-30 oil it it. So I don't worry anymore about brands and weights.

As for your lights, have you reset them previously using the wire? Paper clip works for me. Seems to me the lights stay on all the time. If yours are malfunctioning, maybe it's your service indicator board or batteries. Be tempting to put black tape over the lights. If you keep your BMW for any length of time,you will grow to hate the warning lights and sensors. They always break before what they are indicating fails.
    Last edited by aaverhulst; 05-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 325e
    I usually change the oil on all mycars at 3000 miles but since this vehicle takes synthetic oil, I am going to dothe change at 4000. The board on the car was change to an aftermarket new onethat doesn't require a battery. I try to reset it, but I am thinking that Iused a too skinny wire, because it didn't do anything. The car only has 75,000miles mint condition, I am not to put tape to cover the light. Good suggestionbut Nop. I am trying to understand how these lights work, do they light up andstay lid as its getting closer to service? or when they stay on for just 5seconds after starting the car it doesn't mean anything?

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    they should start at only green being on, when you reset the light, and then move through yellow to red as you get more miles.

I dont think these cars were advanced enough to do more than measure distance and maybe type of driving for th oil lights. I really think they just went off distance though
    Last edited by superj; 05-23-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Quote Originally Posted by otto B View Post
    I need some help. I have a 1985 BMW 325e. I have a question how the Oil Service light works. Before the light would light up for a second while I started the car and then disappear, ln the last two weeks 4 bars would stay light up for about 5-6 seconds then disappear, now this week only 3 bars would stay light up. I just change the oil two days ago. I try to reset the oil service light by using the skinny wire and nothing happened. What does the light means and how it supposed to read them?
    You have the exact same issue as me, no matter what i do, i can not reset those lights and they stay at 3 green. Paper clip, wire and even the reset tool had no effect. I think it maybe the SI batteries but im unsure.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by H.J. 1981 View Post
    You have the exact same issue as me, no matter what i do, i can not reset those lights and they stay at 3 green. Paper clip, wire and even the reset tool had no effect. I think it maybe the SI batteries but im unsure.
    The SI board on my card was switch to a new one that doesn't required a battery. I don't think it should matter though.

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Quote Originally Posted by otto B View Post
    The SI board on my card was switch to a new one that doesn't required a battery. I don't think it should matter though.
    I need to remove the gauge cluster anyways, someone removed the pad warning light and i have some bulbs. Would be a good opportunity to check the SI board as well.

Still, does not explain how no matter what we do, the lights never reset.