Thread: 97 328i Help with fuel trim data codes p1188 and p1189

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.5L Automatic

97 328i Help with fuel trim data codes p1188 and p1189

The car has 4 new ATK o2 sensors installed.
    The short term fuel trim for banks 1&2 is bouncing between -4 through -9%, so its removing fuel...correct?
    Both front o2 sensors are correctly jumping between .1-.9 which is good.
    Both rear o2 sensors are reading .1 , not sure but believe thats clean??

If its taking away fuel, that would mean the system would be running rich and thus demaning less fuel...but the o2 sensors are reading correct at .1-.9

a head scratcher.

My Cars
    99 M3

97 328i Help with fuel trim data codes p1188 and p1189

With those codes, I’d be looking for intake air leaks in the rubber boot and/or vacuum lines.
    Do you mean NTK O2 sensors? If so, what part number for pre-catalytic converter sensors did you purchase?

What is the last seven of your VIN?
    Look up proper part number requirements in www.realoem.com using you VIN to identify the exact p/n requirements, then cross reference to Bosch/NTK sensor part numbers.
    Bosch sensors are produced by NTK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-21-2019 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Welcome to the forum!

I think your injectors may be leaking. Do you ever run injector cleaner? If not, start, run a bottle over the next 3 tanks of gas. I've been using royal purple atomizer because I had leaking injectors. I haven't checked INPA lately to see if fuel is being added.

"If the value is greater than 8 % there is an unmetered air leak or not enough fuel being supplied to the system.• The 02 Sensor indi .a es a LAN condition• The engine control module tries to RICHEN the mixture.If the value is less than -8 % there is an air restriction or toomuch fuel being supplied to the system.• The 02 sensor indicates a RICH condition• The engine control module tries to LEAN out the mixture."
    Last edited by Eric93se; 05-22-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.5L Automatic
    I had checked everywhere for leaks. even had a professional perform a smoke test. I replaced all 4 o2 sensors with NTK p/n: 25013.
    but if ther was unmetered air entering due to a leak, wouldn't the ecm be adding fuel instead of taking it away like it is currently doing?

- - - Updated - - -

You know i was thinking about the reasons for too much fuel and recently though that perhaps the injectors may be leaking, plugs may be on their way out. bad or failing coils would be another thing, but i believe i would see a different code for that...correct? i will get a bottle of injector cleaner and run that. others recommend seafoam, but im not sure whats most effective.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by apekim View Post

You know i was thinking about the reasons for too much fuel and recently though that perhaps the injectors may be leaking, plugs may be on their way out. bad or failing coils would be another thing, but i believe i would see a different code for that...correct?
    How old are plugs?
    What condition are the coil/spark plug extenders? Dry and cracked, they could be leaking voltage at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '98 M3 Alpine White
    By chance, do you have a freshly oiled K&N?
    See ya later,

tony
    '98 M3, '92 Dinan3, '05 R1100S BCR, '07 R1200S, Aprilia T

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by apekim View Post

You know i was thinking about the reasons for too much fuel and recently though that perhaps the injectors may be leaking, plugs may be on their way out. bad or failing coils would be another thing, but i believe i would see a different code for that...correct? i will get a bottle of injector cleaner and run that. others recommend seafoam, but im not sure whats most effective.
    No, our computers are not perfect there are lots of things it cannot tell us, its old tech now, I'm sure it was awesome back in the day. If your coils are very old then yeah get a new set.

here's a new set off ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-Ig...4/192338283609
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".