Thread: Used Hood or Repaint?

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

Used Hood or Repaint?

My M coupe hood was repainted by the previous owner after an accident by the owner before him. The painter who did it did a less than perfect job and the resulting hood has a lot of orange peel and is slightly blue tinge.

My Coupe's Titanium Silver - meaning there shouldn't be any problem finding a used one. But the question is, am I better off finding a used one or repainting the one I've got? Biggest worry is a poor color match with either option.
    Last edited by BrightEs; 05-21-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    2001 M Coupe Titanium Silver

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    I would repaint the one you have. You have the choice on painter quality.

The hood is a very big item. Not sure how much damage would be done to the paint work of a second hand one in the whole remove, transport, refit process. You may end up wanting to repaint the new hood too.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    z3
    For a proper match you should do the bumper, hood and blend into the surrounding panels (usually A-pillar, then doors/sideskirt)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Sounds like I'll be shopping around for paint shops this summer, thanks guys.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    It took two shipments/hoods to get one to the body shop from BMW after a guy backed into my old Z. If it’s straight use it for sure.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    It took two shipments/hoods to get one to the body shop from BMW after a guy backed into my old Z. If it’s straight use it for sure.
    Let them know you expect the paint to match the rest of the car. Some will paint, then when it doesn't match, explain to you that the other paint has faded due to age, and that they bought the right paint per the car's paint code. Nonsense. Let them know part of what you expect is that they compensate for the condition of the rest of the paint when choosing paint color.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    You say the car was previously involved in an accident and the hood was repainted. Was it damaged in the accident? If so it may not be a simple matter of repainting alone. Also, BMW was experimenting with water based paints on our cars, and the water based primer was not a successful experiment as it turned out. This is why the paint chips so readily. If you'r going to repaint the hood, have it stripped to bare metal and re-primed with a urethane epoxy primer. A good painter should be able to color match and blend the surrounding panels so that you can't tell that it's not a perfect match (there's no such thing as a perfect match--just the illusion of match).

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Check with previous owner where it was repainted at in case they offer lifetime guarantee. Also check if it was done via insurance company as sometimes insurance companies insure their repairs for life of car if work was done "in network."

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jbourne99 View Post
    Check with previous owner where it was repainted at in case they offer lifetime guarantee. Also check if it was done via insurance company as sometimes insurance companies insure their repairs for life of car if work was done "in network."
    It was kind of one of those unfortunate and really sad situations which are hard to resolve. The owner of the paint shop passed away shortly after delivering the car back to the previous owner so there was nothing that could be done regarding returning it for touch up. That is a good idea about the insurance part though, I'll have to look into that one.