Thread: E36 - Help On Headlight Profiles / Is This Normal?

My Cars
    E36 M3

E36 - Help On Headlight Profiles / Is This Normal?

Hi All, I have searched high and low but haven’t been able to find good photos of a true, original/OEM US spec E36 headlight for comparison so I’m asking here instead.

I bought a 97 M3 Sedan last month and it came with US spec “Eagle Eye” brand Taiwanese made headlights. The headlights didn’t bug me until I noticed there was a half inch gap between the hood and the top of the light. The reason is the face of the light is only 4.5 inches tall. It slopes downward slightly, creating the gap.

The previous owner also gave me a set of Bosch euro ellipsoids though. So I compared those and found they have a 5 inch face and no slope, and therefore result in a clean looking fit (in line with the side markers and other body lines).

My question is, is the US spec actually different in terms of face height or is that just a bad Taiwanese product that I have?

Photos below from internet images to help:

Eagle Eye US spec with gap (note how the top of the headlight is not even with the side marker, etc...):
    D15383-F1-901-F-4-B50-8923-7-CDA87-F6-F2-AE.jpg

Euro, no gap to hood, clean lines across to side markers:
    0-C6-CD9-A9-0023-4-D15-BCE9-A73968-C82213.jpg
    Last edited by dmc97; 05-21-2019 at 04:45 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I think it depends on the headlight manufacturer. I have ZKW (euro OE) headlights and they slope down at the top, creating the gap you are describing. The hood seal makes full contact still, so no water gets in.

Here is a picture of some ZKW headlights. You can see how the glass slopes down at the top. Mine look exactly the same. You can also adjust the angle of the headlight a bit by shortening the top three big plastic screw things (#5), and extending the ones underneath the headlight.

100_0354.sized.jpg
    Last edited by Carpy2; 05-21-2019 at 10:08 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    US lights are not as tall and have shitty gaps.

Why does it matter though? You have a far superior light in your possession (the Bosch)... install them.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    US lights are not as tall and have shitty gaps.

Why does it matter though? You have a far superior light in your possession (the Bosch)... install them.
    Thanks that's all I needed to know!

I definitely prefer the Euros but they interfere with non-stock intakes. I read threads where folks claimed to have made it work, but there's no chance with my Dinan CAI. There's like a 4 inch delta between space needed for the pipe and the space needed for the Euro lights. They also interfered with the K&N system I had before that. While the impacts of CAI are debated, if I have to choose between form or function, I'll take function every time. I can see just fine at night with the US lights.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Not quite true. Bosch are the thinnest Euro version and you can get it to work with your Dinan intake. You need to remove the triangle bracket that holds the intake tube. You should be able to make it work.

Will not work if your lights have the aim motors on them. You can buy the static rods to replace the motors.

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc97 View Post
    Thanks that's all I needed to know!

I definitely prefer the Euros but they interfere with non-stock intakes. I read threads where folks claimed to have made it work, but there's no chance with my Dinan CAI. There's like a 4 inch delta between space needed for the pipe and the space needed for the Euro lights. They also interfered with the K&N system I had before that. While the impacts of CAI are debated, if I have to choose between form or function, I'll take function every time. I can see just fine at night with the US lights.

My Dinan CAI fits just fine with my Euro lights. I am not running the triangle brace thing, no need for it. Fits perfectly behind the projector, with wiggle room. I feel you can get it to work. I have to install the filter through the bottom of my wheel well/front bumper, and insert the tube down from the top.
    Last edited by Carpy2; 05-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3