Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nav Radio Upgrade (with Bluetooth Streaming)

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Nav Radio Upgrade (with Bluetooth Streaming)

I found a factory-like way to achieve Bluetooth audio streaming using a "new generation" BM53 radio swapped in place of the standard C43 radio.

nav_aux_streaming.jpg

In addition to this, I discovered a multitude of additional benefits to such an installation, all of which are detailed here:

Last edited by Frankie; 05-22-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 325i Sedan
    Very cool.

My Cars
    '01 E38 '99 DINAN 5
    Are all BM53 radios compatible with Navigation? I have one out of a 2004 330ci without Nav, will it work with my MKIV in my E38?

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    do you have use for the Phone or only music
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DIEGOBMW View Post
    ...I have one out of a 2004 330ci without Nav, will it work with my MKIV in my E38?
    BM53s are for navigation-equipped cars. They are not intended for cars without nav (since they do not have a display face/panel). If you have a radio out of a non-nav E46, its probably a CD53 not a BM53. Can you post a picture of it (with label)?

Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    do you have use for the Phone or only music
    I assume your question is: "Will Bluetooth streamers handle phone calls as well as music?" Answer: No.

For $12, streamers are for music only. My write-up is intended for those using a TCU or Grom who wish to separate streaming functions from telephone functions, or those who wish to add streaming functionality (or other updated features such as aux-in, Sirius, and MP3 changer with ID3 tag display).

For under $250 you can get an updated, 100% compatible radio that streams like a factory option thru an aux-input, along with fringe benefits (no more DSP adapters needed, standardized flexible inputs, aftermarket compatibility, etc).

My costs:
    BM53 radio (used) $120
    Wiring adapter: $71
    Antenna adapter: $32
    Bluetooth streamer: $12
    ==================
    TOTAL................$235

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    First, thanks for the write up! I saw this when you first posted it and I have been meaning to do this update -- which is now next up on my list of things to do.

Regarding the DIY's comment about the onboard amplifier being prone to failure, is that a general characteristic of the entire BM53 range of part numbers, or perhaps just some of the part numbers (e.g., 1st/2nd generation part numbers?) I managed to spot a good deal on BM53 part number 65-12-6-988-275 over the weekend and I ordered it. Since it is the latest part number (apart from the re-manufactured part number ending in 276), I am hoping my new-to-me BM53 will be far less prone to having the amplifiers fail. I guess time will tell...

My Cars
    2001 740il
    is there a guide on which bmws had this radio

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedbimmer View Post
    What do you mean DUDE

BM53 Radio

The radio itself is a surprisingly lightweight and unassuming aluminum box. BMW offered several different models thru the years, updating it frequently. Choose the model with features you desire:
    Production Model Aux Sirius** ID3***
    09/01/01 - 03/01/02 65-12-6-904-213(4*)
    03/01/02 - 10/23/02 65-12-6-919-080(1*)
    09/01/02 - 07/28/03 65-12-6-922-512(3*)
    12/01/02 - 07/17/03 65-10-6-933-089(90*)
    08/01/03 - 11/23/04 65-12-6-927-910(1*)
    09/01/04 - 11/23/04 65-12-6-943-449(50*)
    11/15/04 - 01/27/06 65-12-6-964-398(9*)
    03/01/05 - 10/18/05 65-12-6-972-662(5*)
    09/01/05 - 07/26/06 65-12-6-976-961(2*)
    03/01/06 - current 65-12-6-988-275(6*)
    * remanufactured model number ** requires Sirius module 65120439436 and adapters *** requires mp3 changer 65129131852
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    ...about the onboard amplifier being prone to failure, is that a general characteristic of the entire BM53 range of part numbers....?
    Based upon the fact that all BM53 parts numbers, from early generations to the later, have remanufactured part numbers associated with them, I have to conclude all BM53s suffer from this problem.

My BM53 (p/n '398) was from 2005 and had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedbimmer View Post
    All BMWs from 9/01 with navigation.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Update

I experienced the typical amp failure of the BM53 radio, then had a bad repair experience (amp noise with radio OFF, more amp noise with radio ON). Unacceptable. Thankfully, I was able to get a full refund for the "repair".

I no longer recommend the Becker BM53 and instead have found a better quality, less expensive alternative: the Siemens CID nav radio:

siemens_radio.jpg

Since it's made for the E83 X3 and E85 Z4, it has a conventional faceplate...which can be easily removed to allow trunk fitment in the E38 7-series. Full instructions are in my DIY.

Some details from my DIY:

siemens_table.jpg

New features:

The Siemens uses a buffering circuit to smooth transitions between modes and even radio station selections. For example, when toggling thru your FM presets, instead of sudden and abrupt switching (normal to all radios), the Siemens softly fades-out the previous selection then fades-in the current selection. The same is true of mode switching (ex: switching from radio to CD mode). Note also:

INFO Screen

siemens_screen1.jpg

• NAV-Min: ranges from -9 to +9. Supposedly controls spoken nav directions, but I cannot confirm this. Has no affect on "Nav Volume" from MENU.
    • Freq: displays radio station frequency numbers in addition to PTY info (for stations that feature PTY).

AM/FM Radio Mode

siemens_screen2.jpg

• "P" Displays: each preset is displayed in numeric order (P1, P2, etc) in the method enabled from INFO. For example, if PTY is enabled, the preset is represented by its corresponding textual data (if available). If PTY is disabled, the preset is represented by frequency. Note also "Freq" number displayed in small font (upper center, enabled from INFO) next to selected station's RDS text.
    • Each preset is selectable by scroll wheel in addition to its preset button on face panel. The current selection is marked with a checkbox.

CD Mode

siemens_screen3.jpg

• "P" Displays: each disc is displayed in numeric order (P1, P2, etc).
    • Each disc is selectable by scroll wheel in addition to its button on face panel. The current disc is marked with a checkbox.
    • "TR" Display: tracks (songs) are represented by large font "TR" while disc numbers are in small font on the far right.

AUX Mode

• Displays "AUX" (same as BM53).

I have updated my DIY procedures: Nav Radio Upgrade (with streaming)

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    wow Frankie AWESOME UPDATE
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    Does the MKIV/BM53 offer any USB connectivity? I can live with bluetooth, but if I can just stick a thumb drive in a USB socket like I do in my E70 I'd be thrilled.

I saw this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-AUX-USB...-/273447136584

Which doesn't list the e38 as compatible, but then again it never offered any USB connectivity to begin with so that's not terribly surprising. I hate to be the "well the connectors look the same so it might work" guy, but those connectors do look the same...

Thanks.

Edit: Or does this fall under the category of "It's 30 bucks man. Take a gamble and let us know if it works"
    Last edited by hmmurdock; 02-04-2020 at 02:58 PM.

My Cars
    '01 E38 '99 DINAN 5
    Frankie,
    Will this upgrade still work fine with the upcoming BluBus?
    CURRENT:
    2001 740IL ALPINE WHITE
    1999 BMW DINAN 5 BIARRITZ BLUE

PAST:
    2001 740I M-SPORT SCHWARTZ
    2001 BMW 330XI SPORT BLACK SAPPHIRE
    2002 BMW 325XIT TITANIUM SILVER
    2002 BMW 530I TITANIUM GREY
    2002 BMW X5 TOPAZ BLUE
    2003 BMW 325XI ELECTRIC RED
    1998 740IL ASPEN SILVER
    1998 740IL ORIENT BLUE
    1995 BMW 530I OXFORD GREEN
    1988 528E BLUE
    1980 320I WHITE
    1978 320I GREY

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmurdock View Post
    Does the MKIV/BM53 offer any USB connectivity?...I saw this on ebay: <link>
    The white 12-pin connector is indeed plug-n-play with the Siemens CID radio, but it's difficult to say whether or not it will work as a USB input. That's because playing music from a USB stick requires software to drive it - something the Siemens may not have. However, the 1/8 mini-jack input should work fine.

And yes: it's only $30 bucks so...try it and let us know! (Just don't buy a BM53 radio.)

Quote Originally Posted by DIEGOBMW View Post
    Will this upgrade still work fine with the upcoming BluBus?
    Yes.

And if the BlueBus should never come to market (or you don't want to wait), the Siemens radio with BT streaming dongle and TCU should provide the same modern functionality.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Does the MKIV/BM53 offer any USB connectivity? I can live with bluetooth, but if I can just stick a thumb drive in a USB socket like I do in my E70 I'd be thrilled.

I saw this on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-AUX-USB...-/273447136584

Which doesn't list the e38 as compatible, but then again it never offered any USB connectivity to begin with so that's not terribly surprising. I hate to be the "well the connectors look the same so it might work" guy, but those connectors do look the same...

Thanks.

Edit: Or does this fall under the category of "It's 30 bucks man. Take a gamble and let us know if it works"

I don't think it will work sir
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    The white 12-pin connector is indeed plug-n-play with the Siemens CID radio, but it's difficult to say whether or not it will work as a USB input. That's because playing music from a USB stick requires software to drive it - something the Siemens may not have. However, the 1/8 mini-jack input should work fine.

And yes: it's only $30 bucks so...try it and let us know! (Just don't buy a BM53 radio.)
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    I don't think it will work sir
    Well, I guess we'll find out in a couple of months when it eventually clears customs. The bulkhead partition replacement I ordered off ebay for my e70 is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I think Nixon was in office when I placed the order. So I hope nobody is in a hurry for a review.

I also ordered one of the 12pin-bluetooth dongles from ebay too, so I should end up with a vaguely working solution sometime soon. It'll at least give me a chance to go in and figure out what is going on with my wiring harness. (After the SiriusXM install, or shortly thereafter, I ceased to hear the nice lady telling me which way to turn, but the music still "ducks" when she's trying to talk. I also discovered when trying to use an SDcard based cassette adapter that I can only hear the cassette when the nice nav lady tries to talk, so clearly some inputs are mixed up in the trunk)

I'll post the results of both.

I still think I'll probably end up getting an Avin unit after all is said and done, but I don't mind taking one for the team on the cheap stuff from China.

Edit: I also ordered one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292936671784 I'm not sure if the black/white plugs being for CD/aux holds true on these USB/Aux cables, but I noticed this one also lists compatibility with the e39 so that makes me think there's at least a chance that it will work since the e38 and e39 share so much in common, especially the latter year e38s.

Edit2: After doing some digging around into pinouts on the BM53 it would appear that these widgets won't provide any USB connectivity unless there is some really crazy, undocumented multiplexing chicanery going on which strikes me as rather unlikely since almost all of the pins are either power or analog. Oh well.
    Last edited by hmmurdock; 02-04-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Well, I guess we'll find out in a couple of months when it eventually clears customs. The bulkhead partition replacement I ordered off ebay for my e70 is supposed to arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I think Nixon was in office when I placed the order. So I hope nobody is in a hurry for a review.

I also ordered one of the 12pin-bluetooth dongles from ebay too, so I should end up with a vaguely working solution sometime soon. It'll at least give me a chance to go in and figure out what is going on with my wiring harness. (After the SiriusXM install, or shortly thereafter, I ceased to hear the nice lady telling me which way to turn, but the music still "ducks" when she's trying to talk. I also discovered when trying to use an SDcard based cassette adapter that I can only hear the cassette when the nice nav lady tries to talk, so clearly some inputs are mixed up in the trunk)

I'll post the results of both.

I still think I'll probably end up getting an Avin unit after all is said and done, but I don't mind taking one for the team on the cheap stuff from China.

Edit: I also ordered one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292936671784 I'm not sure if the black/white plugs being for CD/aux holds true on these USB/Aux cables, but I noticed this one also lists compatibility with the e39 so that makes me think there's at least a chance that it will work since the e38 and e39 share so much in common, especially the latter year e38s.

Edit2: After doing some digging around into pinouts on the BM53 it would appear that these widgets won't provide any USB connectivity unless there is some really crazy, undocumented multiplexing chicanery going on which strikes me as rather unlikely since almost all of the pins are either power or analog. Oh well.

The reason why it wont work is because the USB plug in the back does not connect to the radio

- - - Updated - - -

you will need the green plug
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    RE: USB Connectivity

It does not appear this functionality is supported in Siemens/Becker nav radios mentioned in this thread.

The USB adapter was meant for F25 X3 and E89 Z4, while the Siemens/Becker radios are for E83 X3 and E85 Z4. Furthermore, note that the USB adapter requires a data cable in addition to a power cable as illustrated here:

usb_adapter.jpg

The aqua-colored data cable is compatible with BMW's newer CIC radio systems, while the white 12-pin supplies power from the radio to the adapter.

This information was taken from seller listings found on AliExpress.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    Thanks for the follow ups, fellas. Looks like The Avant4 is in my future.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Tip

When using new gen radios with streaming dongles, it's also possible to stream nav app directions and alerts. For example, when using Waze, alerts and turn-by-turn directions can be output thru the door speakers. (In "settings" menu, configure Waze for "default" device).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    When using new gen radios with streaming dongles, it's also possible to stream nav app directions and alerts. For example, when using Waze, alerts and turn-by-turn directions can be output thru the door speakers. (In "settings" menu, configure Waze for "default" device).
    Since you seem to be the resident e38 radio expert, I have a question for you (vaguely related to the thread topic) What are those 12 pin radio connectors called? Or more to the point, it looks like I might have to do a little custom wiring on one of those connectors, and I'm wondering what type of pins and crimping tool I need.

Thanks!

Edit: Looks very similar to 2.54mm Dupont style connector. Am I on the right track?
    Last edited by hmmurdock; 02-17-2020 at 03:34 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...12 pin radio connectors...what type of pins and crimping tool I need.
    Hmm...not sure what you're asking.

On each accessory device (such as streaming dongle or aux adapter), the 12-pin plug is color-coded either white (for CD side) or black (for AUX side). The keyed, color-coded sleeve can be removed to expose the generic gang connector inside. Then, if needed, the 3 pins (audio-left, audio-right, ground) may be removed from the connector by depressing its respective tang with a small screwdriver. So, the accessories may be swapped from side to side as desired, after being pinned for the respective radio input. Black/white 12-pin sleeves can be purchased separately. See my DIY for the 3 radio pin-outs.
    Last edited by Frankie; 02-18-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    09 X5 & 01 740i Sport
    Hmm...not sure what you're asking.

On each accessory device (such as streaming dongle or aux adapter), the 12-pin plug is color-coded either white (for CD side) or black (for AUX side). The keyed, color-coded sleeve can be removed to expose the generic gang connector inside. Then, if needed, the 3 pins (audio-left, audio-right, ground) may be removed from the connector by depressing its respective tang with a small screwdriver. So, the accessories may be swapped from side to side as desired, after being pinned for the respective radio input. Black/white 12-pin sleeves can be purchased separately. See my DIY for the 3 radio pin-outs.
    Haha, not directly what I was asking, but it did answer the question. My wiring in the back is amiss so I was thinking I might need to do some pin rearrangement and/or crimping. I figured I'd do it when the bluetooth dongle arrived. That slide-on sleeve rings a bell so now I'm fairly certain that actually is a 12 pin Dupont-style connector that holds the pins, then BMW slides their own sleeve over it, which means I already have the necessary tools if I need to recrimp anything. (and hopefully get my tapedeck and the nice british lady in my Nav unit audible again)

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    I experienced the typical amp failure of the BM53 radio, then had a bad repair experience (amp noise with radio OFF, more amp noise with radio ON). Unacceptable. Thankfully, I was able to get a full refund for the "repair".

I no longer recommend the Becker BM53 and instead have found a better quality, less expensive alternative: the Siemens CID nav radio:

siemens_radio.jpg

Since it's made for the E83 X3 and E85 Z4, it has a conventional faceplate...which can be easily removed to allow trunk fitment in the E38 7-series. Full instructions are in my DIY.
    Frankie, thank you for the research that went into figuring out that the Siemens CID radio will work. For everyone else, Frankie and I traded a few PMs this past week and now I have upgraded my C43 radio to a Siemens CID radio (65-12-9-205-285) in my 2001 740iL. Last week I was able to pick up a Siemens CID radio on Ebay that supports AUX-IN, Sirius, ID3 and In-Band, On-Channel/HD radio. When installing the Siemens CID radio, you do loose the tape player capability. These days, that is not a big loss, but worth mentioning. Time to throw that cassette-tape adapter for aux input away!

For my installation I opted to use the C43 to BM53 Radio Cd Changer adapter cable 61-12-6-924-785 and I re-pinned the AUX-IN cable from 82-10-1-0-149-390 into the CD changer adapter cable.

The Siemens CID radio:

20200601_162922.jpg

Faceplate about to be removed and cd/dvd drive removed per Frankie's DIY notes:

20200601_163315.jpg

Sealed the bottom where the faceplate was with HVAC foil tape:

20200601_164854.jpg

94.1 is a station here in San Diego that has 3 HD channels.

20200601_194834.jpg

I still need to run the AUX-IN cable.... I am planning on installing an AUX-IN port at the base of the rear center console -- where an existing cover is available for use with various switches/inputs (i.e., the one that can house the AV In/Out, FAX, TV). All of those are a standard size and compatible with an AUX-IN input from the E60.

For those wondering what NavCoder reports for this radio, here you go:

NavCoder-Radio-SiemensCID.jpg
    Last edited by Thresher; 06-02-2020 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added NavCoder screenshot.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Brian,

Congrats on the Siemens radio installation!

So, adapter cable '785 did not work to retain cassette functions? If not, then its black aux-side plug is just taking up space on your radio which could be put to use. Why not move the factory aux-in back to the AUX channel (nav will display AUX when selected) and leave the CD input open (for later use or as a second aux-in)? Of course if you re-installed all the trunk audio components, that might not be practical anymore.

I'd like to see a picture of an active HD radio station. It should display all sorts of ID3 info similar to a satellite radio station, with graphics and other data.

Your nav screenshot shows the green TCU connection light illuminated. Is your BlueBus connected? If so, it's great to see it mimicking factory TCU functions. I'm eager to hear how BlueBus telephony works (the reviews I've seen focus exclusively on BT streaming, ignoring telephone).

I see you opted for aluminum/foil tape to seal the radio, as I did. For others doing this: I don't think that side needs to be sealed particularly tight (with tape) since the internal circuits need to breathe (note the top is vented). It should be just tight enough to keep mice out!

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast