Thread: DSC ABS Module Failure - Best way to proceed

My Cars
    E46 330ci

DSC ABS Module Failure - Best way to proceed

Hi all,

After almost 220,000 miles and 10+ years of ownership my DSC module seems to have given up the ghost.

This has been an intermittent issue for quite some time and now the DSC/ABS fails with both the DSC light and the yellow brake lights on permanently. The shop I am using claims the only way to fix this is to replace both the unit and hydraulic DSC module after their tests. The cost for the part alone new is $2600-3500 not including parts and labor which is just absurd and there must be a more cost effective solution to get this solved.

Has anyone had any luck with a service that rebuilds these units? I have found some ebay and google listings that claim they can rebuild them for $200-300 but I have no way of knowing or verifying their claims and want to make sure if the car is out of commision for a few days I will be getting back a fully functioning unit.

Part number was given to me as 34516764087 - DSC Control Unit or DSC Hydraulic Unit

RealOEMLink
    *Note the shop is saying it is part 1 NOT 2 that is the root cause.

Codes:
    5E20 - pressure sensor 1
    5E24 - pressure sensor implausible reading

The shop I used issued this on their electronic report they emailed me to me if this helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to consign this car to wrecking yard yet it as it has served me well for years but this repair is looking like it will cost more than the clutch change I just had.
    (copy and paste)
    Quote:
    "Comprehensive computer diagnosis.
    Faults in DME.. (5E20) pressure sensor 1 and (5E24) pressure sensor
    implausibility. No light currently on at this time, but after running thru all hydraulic
    system and pressure sensor testing, both the hydraulic system and pressure sensor's
    1 and 2 passed at -1.33 bar and -0.91 bar.. System is functioning correctly at this
    time.
    NOTE.... History pressure sensor faults of 44.56 bar and 44.98 bar respectively
    were in DSC control unit. These occured 14 times.
    NOTE.... Also had a fault in DME for thermal oil level sensor.
    Next step would be to replace the ABS/DSC hydraulic unit with control unit."

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    You don't say which system you have but I am guessing that it is the Teves MK60. FWIW, the brake pressures they list are similar to my own which are -0.7 and -1.8 bar (front/back). That is obviously with my foot off the brake pedal. With gentle braking from about 30mph, mine will go up to about 10 bar. Maybe do a little digging and find out what the top line should be? I am not saying that your garage is wrong. But I would imagine you want to confirm that the sensor is not faulty before you condemn the control unit?

I imagine your low oil warning light comes on for about ten seconds after you started the car but we will leave that aside

My Cars
    E21, E46

DSC ABS Module Failure - Best way to proceed

I didn’t read your entire thread but, yes these can be rebuilt. Do your research to find the right rebuilder. On the M5board there are people who rebuild these modules.
    Last edited by RobertDenali; 05-22-2019 at 08:23 AM.