Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Buying a M3, Under car cover for a year.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is

Buying a M3, Under car cover for a year.

Buying a 97 M3 from a buddy.

He was working on the car and parked it for about a year not moving it with a car cover. We live in the Pacific northwest so its been rained, snow and hot sunned on.

Whatcha guys think the best way to get this thing shinning.

IF you can see in the photo theres pine neetles in the hood seals and areas where the water sat and dirt has built up in those areas as any car sitting would have.

The paints like 6 years old. he had it fully resprayed so there isnt any clear coat dammage or anything to really deal with.

I was debating to take it to my professional detailer in town who does show cars and have him do the engine bay and exterior/door jams. This way it would be professional and give me a awesome base to maintain. I was a detailer at a car dealership and collision shop but it was basic and non of the advanced stuff real detailing shops would do like cut and buffs or claybar.

If it wasnt black id prolly be more up to give it a go if i wasn't afraid to put swirl marks in it.

Any advice to keep the black awesome please let me know.

He also has one spot in the back where its a quarter size smack from something and its chipped to metal and started to rust. Its on the bar below the tail light that's integrated into the body if you have any advice as well to seal that up.

Last edited by H2oiamwater; 05-20-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    Need graphic design work? LookAtMeSmile.com

Quote Originally Posted by cr2596 View Post
    Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Try it yourself first. If you're not happy with the results, you always have the pro to fall back on.

I'd start with a good soak and let the really bad areas soak/dwell longer. Then a wash or two with a good shampoo and a lambswool mitt. No T-shirts.
    I'd also give it a chemical cleaning with an AIO like Klasse AIO.
    Clay it.
    Treat the door / window seals with something like Gummi pflege. Wurth makes it.

Remember a wax fills swirls, it doesn't remove them but does fill them. Maybe 2 or more applications may be needed depending on the wax used. A sealant won't fill swirls, they'll have to be buffed out first if you decide to go the sealant route.

Read the contents of your wax choice though. Look for words like carnauba, montan, beeswax. Believe it or not, some companies use the word 'wax' to mean anything that makes the car shiny. I've seen pure sealants called 'wax' so again, read that label.

And you could use both. Sealant first, then wax on top. The wax won't really be able to bind well to the sealant base so you'll have to rewax every couple of weeks. But swirls will still be filled.

And as for that rust spot, it's a bit big for a first project so you might want to get it repaired professionally at one of those 'chip repair' shops. If you really want to try it first, scrape the area with a sharp metal bit like a screw driver tip. That'll remove big rust bits. Then dab lots of RustMort onto the area. That'll kill the rust, converting it from iron oxide to some other sort of oxide that'll be inert. (and black in color). Lots of layers of paint, a layer or two of clear, wetsanding then polishing. Or, just go directly to the chip repair shop.

Don't forget to treat the door / window seals with the Wurth product and good luck. You'll enjoy the M3.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    They have places that do paint chip repair? man I'll have to find one!

Thanks for the info and help man. Yeah i test drove it a little and wow, my initial thought was the car was lighter then my 328. haha

its gonna be fun.

Yup. A differnt time for the forum. The great threads get 12 replies. Shit threads get 12 pages.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Yup, there are a couple of body shops locally that have a 'chip repair' sandwich board out front. I'm assuming m-ville means Marysville. I've driven by there a few times and it seems like a smaller community. Maybe google the chip repair topic and see who's in the general area.
    If you want a suggestion for the final products, and this combination would look fantastic on black. (stunning on red too) is Jescar Powerlok then top that with Pinnacle Souveran wax. Jescar is the new name for Menzerna, sort of like a Meguiar's of Germany. Menzerna/Jescar products are all high end and exceptional.

My Cars
    97 M3, 2-97 328is
    Yeah marysville. No offense but of course you've driven by. If you don't stop by Walmart or Costco in Blane then your either hitting the outlet mall or Seattle. Lol Just playing. But for real though every canadian hits Marysville haha

Thanks for the info man! I'll have to look around for the chip repair guys.