Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW ME7.2 M62TU ECU Flashing 101 MUST READ

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1

BMW ME7.2 M62TU ECU Flashing 101 MUST READ

In service of the ME7.2 excitement that we have going, but trying to address some of the poor documentation / organization / judgement / recommendations in some of the other stuff that is going around...
    I feel this is maybe best posted in a separate thread... so... here we go...

Excited about ME7.2 M62 Shenanigans?

Ready to FLASH THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR ECU!?!?

READ THIS CAREFULLY OR YOU MAY CROAK YOUR ECU, OR WORSE, YOUR ENGINE:

OK - a little extreme but not entirely inaccurate. Before embarking on messing about with bits inside your ECU's brain, there are several high level points you must understand.

This first post is not intended to teach you how to read/edit/checksum/flash your ECU. This is the crap you need to know before you touch any of that.

Here's the TL;DR:

1. You CAN KILL YOUR MOTOR. If you are aren't a dumbass you probably won't. But you can and guys do.
    2. You MUST KNOW THE VERSION OF THE PROGRAM your ECU has inside it at all times, and,
    3. The mapping (aka XDF files) you use MUST MATCH YOUR VERSION. If not: Go to #1.
    4. If you aren't on "the last/latest" version of the software… you want to be on the latest/last program versions. Unless you have an aftermarket tune....
    5. That stuff you read about some other BMW DME - and even Audi/Porsche/Alfa/Ferrari/Telsa/Kelvinator "that runs ME7 too!" - probably does not mean crap and does not remotely apply to your ECU.

You can kill your motor…

Modern ECU's are great things. Not only do they make engines radically more efficient than the old carbs-and-distributors days, but they contain a lot of failsafes to make it extremely hard to blow up an engine without really trying and driving straight through warning lights.

And YOU… can screw all that good stuff up easily and instantly, by messing with things inappropriately.

Bad things that can happen if you "tune" your motor badly, or, even 'randomly' apply some changes to your ECU:

• High cylinder pressures breaks things
    • High combustion and exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) melt things

This is not the place for a "how to tune ECU's 101" but at the highest level you must be extremely careful with anything related to:

• Mixture
    • Ignition timing
    • Knock-sensors

And really the list goes on. Unless you really know what you're doing, don't mess with stuff. Yes tuners do. They do it (or at least the non-sh~t ones…) because they know what they are doing and they do it with the support of careful measurements on a dyno to stay within safe parameters.

Accordingly… with rare exception, you probably should not just "try those changes that BubbaJoeKillStory17 on BimwadEngineKillerForum.com said made +100 whorespowerz!".

Who knows how he came up with that stuff. BubbaJoeKillStory17 might have big injectors. BubbaJoeKillStory17 forgot to mention that he runs a 5bar fuel pressure regulator with those settings. BubbaJoeKillStory17 forgot to (was embarassed to) mention he melted the pistons a week after he posted how awesome his tune was. BubbaJoeKillStory17 is a moron.

Another factor to keep in mind is that, in comparison to standalone / race type ECU's, factory ECU's are pretty complicated.

BubbaJoeKillStory17 likes to think that "OH THIS ONE TABLE HERE IS FOR THE IGNITION, SO THERE I CHANGED IT!" In reality with these German ECU's there are often many interrelated tables and logics for how the fuel and timing gets calculated. Often - if not always actually - for any given 'parameter' they have several tables / maps / constants they are switching between depending on the operating mode. OEM ECU's are very challenging to fully understand.

You should as a rule think of messing with the tuning bits of your ECU like you've sawed off the top of someone's skull and are now poking around inside.

You have gotta be super careful and know what you're getting into. Unless you hate the guy inside the skull. Then go for it. Eff him up.

Enough about that.

You gotta know what your version is!

Every modern ECU basically contains* 2 separate flashes to run the engine. At a simplistic level you have:

• The Program flash
    • The Data flash

YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT VERSION OF PROGRAM your ECU is on before you do ANYTHING.

1. The Program is basically like the OS a PC or a smartphone. The program gets updated by the manufacturer over time for fixes (mainly) or new features (seldom).
    2. The Data is the actual "Calibration" or "Tune". It is all the values that the program uses to do whatever it does. It also gets update sometimes - mainly for emissions/regulatory but sometimes for some other improvement - maybe idle or something like that. MOSTLY it is where the stuff is that we want to fiddle with to make the program do things differently.
    3. For any given thing the DME needs to look up the Program needs to know where the Data is in memory. DME wants to know "what should idle speed be when coolant < 50C on a Thursday in June with secondary-air-system-on, running-AC, and 2-passengers in the backseat smoking weed and making out". OK it needs to find like 2 master values and 3 tables or something maybe to get there. Really it constantly uses 100's of values and maps and tables, and it needs to know where to go in memory to find them.
    4. Here's our big issue: When the program changes, the great majority of the time, the location of the specific data items moves around also. Some things never move, but many things move around quite a bit. AND frequently the dimensions of a table change - so for OldProgram a table was 8rowsx10columns but now for NewProgram it suddenly is 12x16. Ruhroh. Way different.

When someone makes a mapping file - like an XDF** - they make that to match a specific version. That's what we have in the now-available public XDF's.

Trying to use the wrong mapping file version is like trying to drop bombs on Berlin using a 150 year old map. It just doesn't apply. The map says there is a train station at X but really it’s a school. Or a field. Or maybe a new train station that they rebuilt twice as big but really its moved over by 300 yards.

So: STEP 1 WITH ANY ENGINE COMPUTER IS TO FIND OUT WHAT VERSION OF SOFTWARE IS INSIDE

You gotta match the mapping to your version!

Now some good news. So you gotta find your program/software version. The nice thing is that for M62TU definition in the XDF should not move (needs to be static so you can figure out what version a version is versioned...) so you CAN use the 'wrong' XDF for that...

So what do you do? Well there are several ways to get this done. Two of the easier ways are:

Option 1 - If you have WinKFP running you can use function to read the ZIF 'live' in the car, and look at the 'entries of data reference'.

Option 2 - If you're setup to read binaries from your DME already, read data from the DME. Should be a 64k file. Open TunerPro. Load any of the zarboz ME7.2 XDF's. Open the "Software Version Entries" table. Option 2b is just look at it in a hex editor but if you're going in on this project you'll have wanted to load TunerPro anyway, might as well start using it.

What you are looking for is a ZL-REFERENZ *** something that looks like like "01119500 6901 R402" of which:

• 01119500 you can consider a 'constant' meaning "the M62TU ME7.2 platform"
    • 6901 is the program version and
    • R402 is the actual data/calibration/tune version

Voila. You now know you can use XDF for 6901.

See really just very simple.

You really gotta get on the latest versions of the program…

"Oh wait" you say. "Mine was 6602."
    "But BubbaJoeKillStory17 said that for Model Year 2003 it’s the 6901 XDF so my car is MY03 so I can just use that, right? So cool I can use 6901!"

I thought we already covered that BubbaJoeKillStory17 is an idiot.

"But my car was like, dealer serviced a bunch and so like it must have the latest version, right?"

No. For any model year, the program has been updated some arbitrary number of times. Possibly zero.

There is 100% no way to know when/how it has been flashed with what without looking.

• For SURE your car did not leave the factory with what are now the latest versions of the software per-MY
    • There is no way to know what version your MY03 car is on without looking at it
    • There's actually a much higher chance you are NOT on the latest MY03 program, than you are

Those of us who work on them see ECU's all the time that have only been flashed ONCE, in Germany, when it left the factory, and was NEVER updated after that. Those programs are generally so old you can't even find them in the WinKFP data files anymore.

If not once, quite often they were flashed 2-3 times but still never with this latest version we are discussing.

So. What do you need to do to get on the current versions of the program? Flash a "ZB" with WinKFP.

ZB-numbers are the 'assembly' numbers that BMW uses with WinFKP to identify a Program-Data combination. You need to fire up WinKFP, figure out how to use it (easy but not the place to teach you - there are millions of threads and websites for that), then flash the appropriate ZB.

"Which ZB" did you say?

Vehicle
    Last ZB #
    Program
    MY99-00 540i6
    5A01
    MY01 540i6
    MY02 540i6
    MY03 540i6
    Euro 540i6
    5A01

Do that, THEN pull the data file again, then you'll be on the A-train. Life will be sweet. All hookers and blow and free broadband.

Wait but can I apply the ZB from a different model year!?!? MORE HORSEPOWERS RIGHT!?!?!

No. More engine codes and warning lights.

The main difference across those (5) ZB#'s are emissions-equipment related - including evap-systems - and your ZB (which is not JUST the program but also the DATA remember) should match the hardware that is in your car.

Oh yeah. A word about commercial tunes.

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TUNE THIS WILL BLOW IT AWAY. Sorry that's just how it is.

Your options for a commercial tune are:

• If it is on a project-supported version (listed above) then fine, you can read it and use an XDF and have a time. No worries. Probably want to back it up before messing it up, but you're good.
    • Blow your tune away and start over. You can back your tune data, however, if you are on a really old version of the program, you may not be able to flash that program back again. Lets say you are on 5201 program with your commercial tune. You either need to full-boot-read the DME to back up the entire thing, or you'd have to find the 5201 "0PA" file, which very likely is not readily available. Many old factory original versions of tunes never had the code available for WinKFP.
    • Either find somebody who'll help you map an XDF, or, strap on your big-boy pants, sharpen your mechanical pencil and slide-rule, and dig into some hex analysis and make your own XDF. You'll have to find every parameter one by one by comparing to other 'known good' sets. Doable. Tedious and time consuming but doable.

About that stuff you read over at MSS54 thread or NefMoto or Alfadoghackers or wherethefarkever:

"Cool cool cool but I read at MSS54 thread that to virginize you change 123 bytes at 0x3249EA3 to 0xEF, and over in the Audi forums for ME7 I read that I can change the XLKDLF map FOR SUPER BOOST at its at 0x23E45G133 and they have ME7 so I want that too !!!!".

BubbaJoeKillStory17 I thought I told you to STFU.

Mostly… No. Mostly… no.

Other BMW ECU's? 98% chance it is USELESS to you. MSx ECU's run code from Siemens, there might be some maps that have similar names cuz German engineering and BMW but mostly forget about it. Its like bolting a Honda cylinder head on your BMW M54. Will. Not. Work.

And… "ME7" is basically a product line of engine management systems from Bosch. When a car maker decides ("decided" really, its been obsolete for 20yrs now) to use it, what they get is only vaguely related in the underpinnings to what the other guys get. Each 'client' demands and gets radically modified and customized versions of the product.

What changes ALWAYS across these versions:

• Immobilizers. Each automaker has their own gig and systems with that. While there may be some deep hooks in the code that are similar/same, the implementations and details are totally different. Audi ME7.1 has an immob flash chip hardware that BMW does not. BMW ME7.2 uses EWS modules that Audis don't have. Who knows what Alfa/Porsche/Ferrari ME7's have except I'll guarantee they ain't the same. So "virginizing" or "immo off" as the hackers say, is usually completely different stolen-kettle of stolen-fish.
    • Comms and diags. Audi "VAG" diag protocols, BMW INPA/DIS/ISTA/etc. protocols… completely different. Meaning completely different programs for that stuff. Different config parameters possibly for them.
    • Specific engine hardware implementations. Porsche variable valve timing vs BMW VANOS. Possibly hardware / driver chip differences on the boards. Certainly dramatically different logic / programming in the code.

OK… so what is the same?

• Core operating theory principles and fundamental characteristics. ME7 is a torque-demand based system with electronic throttle control. There will be VE maps someplace. There will be torque demand maps someplace. It will not use cable accelerators and throttles.
    • IF you read the super-secret-squirrel stuff, then the terminology is mostly simliar/same. Bosch will use the same map names for big stuff. Mostly. Especially the really big main core logic things. Stuff like OBD DTC codewords probably crosses over. But again sometimes the tables/maps change because of the hardware - ex: VVT maybe BMW uses different set of tables for VANOS that say, Porsche didn't require or implemented in a different way, and the names are different and the logic is actually completely different.

Yes you can learn some "general principles" from the NefMoto stuff. For most purposes though, theres not a lot that you can take from one to the other. If you can, its "in principle but not in detail".

If you see "oh OK the Audi guys have this / that map"... well... you may or may not have that, and it may or may not be used. Entire blocks of program logic are disabled or missing in other versions. Why would BMW versions have a lot of forced-induction logic support if Bosch knew from BMW that there was no intention to support that? (and yes there's the Arnage DME which would be nice to get a read of but as a rule that stuff is all either turned off or not there...) So...

Mostly, ignore that stuff..

And certainly don't go telling people "Hey man change table XLKJVE values to 3725 and you're like, have POOPS AND BURPLES!!! I READ IT ON NEFMOTO!!!!".

Don't be BubbaJoeKillStory17.

--------------------------------------

*In reality theres more inside the memory chip of most ECU's than that. Outside of the 'data', in addition to what we call the 'program', there is also a 'bootloader', and then the area where things like adaptation values and current error codes are stored as well as what we call 'manufacturing data' - part numbers and identifiers and good stuff like that. Mostly though you don't need to care much about that. Mostly we care about the program a little, and the data a lot. Some cars like Audis even have other flash chips for the immob and that's another memory bucket entirely....

** XDF = mapping files for TunerPro, but could also be mapping files for other tuning programs - ROMRaider, WinOLS, etc. etc. Making XDF/map files is work intensive and - unless somebody has access to the secret squirrel factory data for that exact version (sometimes but rarely) - it entails lots of looking for things, triple confirming sizes of tables, and, if you do this work, you find you never know what is going to change location or dimensions.

*** BMW/Bosch often use multiple terms to refer to similar things and keep terminology confusing. In addition to the ZL-Referenz terminology, other parallel/overlapping number schemes exist… Programs and data also get 'pseudo part numbers'… This then extends to the "ZB number" which is a combo of a Program+Data is also labeled an "Assembly number" in some places… In some cases this is "numbers Bosch uses vs numbers BMW internal R&D uses vs numbers dealers are supposed to use" but basically they make it as confusing as they can for us to reverse engineer.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 01-18-2020 at 09:51 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ...reserve...
    Last edited by geargrinder; 05-20-2019 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ...reserve...
    Last edited by geargrinder; 05-20-2019 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ...reserve...

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Nice write up. Looks like you have move time freeing up!! Following this thread too even though I'm on a different DME. Always some parallels between them.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    Nice write up. Looks like you have move time freeing up!! Following this thread too even though I'm on a different DME. Always some parallels between them.
    LOL. Not really... kind of opposite really but I felt with all the buzz on the other thread we needed some better info for da' n00berz who try to get into it... Already too many anecdotes of "hey nothing matched up but I flashed my DME anyway!!" But hopefully nip that in the bud.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    540 m sport
    So, I just got my 64kb dump and saw i have a 6602 version. Ill try the update and see where it goes. Thanks!
    Last edited by upbeatgfx; 05-21-2019 at 06:12 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Cool. 6602 is pretty common - if you have no tune then yeah just flash up to the new update.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    540 m sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Cool. 6602 is pretty common - if you have no tune then yeah just flash up to the new update.
    Bought the car stock, probably never tuned. Do I need use the according daten files to update the ecu through WinKFP? Ive done it before on an e60 but not an e39.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by upbeatgfx View Post
    Bought the car stock, probably never tuned. Do I need use the according daten files to update the ecu through WinKFP? Ive done it before on an e60 but not an e39.
    Update it with WinKFP. Since you've already done it with e60, it should be easy for you. Of course there is always ISTA-P, if you don't want to use WinKFP.

My Cars
    E39 Touring
    the internet needs more people such as yourself.

My Cars
    e30
    Hello, my software version is: 01119500 6301 K411
    Could anyone upload FullRead Bin which is compatible with .xdf from the topic? so i can flash it to my ecu.
    My car is e30 swaped 4.4tu.

-EDIT-
    Nvm figured it out all.
    Last edited by Kisu1337; 06-17-2019 at 03:35 AM.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Another thing to consider is that euro cars built previous to 3/2001 are very cranky about flashing the DME in the car thru the OBDII port. I suggest you benck the DME if you own such a vehicle. They like to be flashed in boot mode with a full 512k file and not to take partials. I don't know why.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Speaking of updating the factory flash on an ME7.2 DME with WinKFP, is the ECU Family selection EK726 for that?
    It's the only one I can find in the daten files (E39\data\EK726) that looks remotely close.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    Speaking of updating the factory flash on an ME7.2 DME with WinKFP, is the ECU Family selection EK726 for that?
    It's the only one I can find in the daten files (E39\data\EK726) that looks remotely close.
    Yep that’s it!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    ^___Is this you GG or your ghost.
    Welcome back.
    Last edited by JimLev; 01-08-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fix typo

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    ^___Is the you GG or your ghost.
    Welcome back.
    I'm just some guy who stole his identity and is drainin' his PayPal account to buy Bitcoin.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Don't buy it yet brother! The 6hr Aroon says you'll get a better buy if you wait. Lol

Seriously though, the fact that you wrote this top post makes me almost wish I had a TU 540. But alas, it's just ALMOST.

Hope you're doing well!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i Sport
    I just had to log in and say, thank you GearGrinder for potentially saving my '01 540i 6-spd.

It's so nice there's at least SOMEONE working on the ME7.2 DME's. I feel left out, with a V8 BMW in the tuning/flashing world. Thank you. Following this thread, and Zarboz!

My Cars
    2001 740i M Sport
    Is this the correct path for deleting/disabling the SAP, rear O2's, EVAP, etc? I would really like to clean up my engine bay and get rid of these items completely.
    2001 740i M-Sport
    All Stock, 142K miles

My Cars
    1999 540i 6spd,
    This thread has reignited the fire for me, blew my 540i motor in 2010. she has been patiently waiting for a turbo m62tu if am able to tune with the stock dme and this thread looks very promising, Am excited. Good job your work and effort is very much appreciated for the hope

My Cars
    E46
    Hi,

I also would like to play mit my enginge and these xdf's :-)
    Got an '99 540i with autmatic Transmission. Looks like you all guys got the 6 speed manual transmission...

I wanted to match with 5A01, so I tried to update to zusbnr 7539302, that wasn't possible.
    Winkfp said they are from different verisons.
    My software is 01119500 1800 5411
    Did i do something wrong or is it not possible with automatic transmission ?

Greetz from Dortmund

My Cars
    Holden Commodore SS
    Now I've read this thread over and over plus I've had a play on tunerpro with me7.2 stuff from zarboz' GitHub. What I want to know is, are all BMW ME7.2 DMEs the same regardless of vehicle ie E39, E38, E53 etc?

Can I use an E53 DME and use a 5A01 XDF and bin? From my understanding, all are physically the same inside.

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by banarcus View Post
    Now I've read this thread over and over plus I've had a play on tunerpro with me7.2 stuff from zarboz' GitHub. What I want to know is, are all BMW ME7.2 DMEs the same regardless of vehicle ie E39, E38, E53 etc?

Can I use an E53 DME and use a 5A01 XDF and bin? From my understanding, all are physically the same inside.
    Yes you just need a full flash from the chassis you’re placing the dme into

Or a winkfp conversion would suffice to get it going

I take full 512kb backups and then collect me7 from 740/540/x5 at the yard

My Cars
    Holden Commodore SS
    Thanks zarboz, that explains what I suspected. I'm currently building a M62 out of a Range Rover that will go into my E46. I'm going to use your 5A01 stuff given I don't need the extra o2 sensors and stuff.

I'm grateful to you and others who have been playing with the me7 as this makes my conversion so much easier!! Thanks again.
    2011 Holden Commodore SS L98 T56
    2002 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    Now looking for a E46 Coupe and get this party started!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast