Thread: Brakes sensor warning

My Cars
    BMW 2014 F10 5 Series

Brakes sensor warning

I bought my car used and have put 4K mikes on it. I noticed that the brakes life was about 14k for front and 15k for rear when I bought it and now at 11k and 12k (going through the service due functions). So, the sensor appears to be working. Recently, a mechanic I trust did indicate that I needed brake pads and rotors soon (I happened too be there and admittedly he didn’t spend measuring the thickness and just eyeballed it because he was replacing my tire and I just asked). Question: how accurate is the sensor in predicting miles left? Also, could the non BMW dealer I bought it from have reset the service reminder on these brakes to sell the car? A few things I have found out since leads me to not trust him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Well over the years not very accurate I had regular customers call and say the brake lining light had come on. We would order the parts and sure enough they did not need them. This happened so often that we would not order parts unless we knew what the last visit brake pad thickness was. If you have an open wheel design you can check the out side pad pretty easy. Yes a seller could reset the system, but some times that won't work. For the most part don't trust the seller unless you get a prepurchase inspection or they have info to back what ever there claiming.

My Cars
    BMW 2014 F10 5 Series
    Thank you. Also, appears general guidance on this forum is to stick with OEM rotors and Pads versus Zimmerman akabeno setup which was brilliant on one of my cars but sucked compared to OEM on my last car leading me to go back to OEM. Agree to stick with OEM or other options? Thank you.

My Cars
    I would always recommend OEM for brake components. And the mileage countdown is highly inaccurate on F30 vehicles. And most newer BMW's. So much so, that they eliminated the mileage countdown on new BMW's. The light just turns on when the sensor wears through and grounds itself against the rotor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW 2014 F10 5 Series
    Thank you. Can you reuse the sensor wire assuming you replace brakes before the sensor wears through? Knowing BMW, the sensor is expensive. Also assuming each wheel has its own sensor?

My Cars
    There's only a sensor on the front left, and right rear. If you replace the brakes before the sensor touches the rotor, yes it can be reused. But why would you replace the brakes before it needs them?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW 2014 F10 5 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    There's only a sensor on the front left, and right rear. If you replace the brakes before the sensor touches the rotor, yes it can be reused. But why would you replace the brakes before it needs them?
    True. So, bottom line, don’t trust the mileage remaining message however the sensor does work. I’ll wait for the message to appear and take care of it then. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk