Thread: need radio help please!

My Cars
    2001 BMW e46 Sedan

need radio help please!

(for starters, photos with flash are pre-wiring, darker photos are post-wiring) alright so i received the car like this. I have a 325i from 2001 and the radio would turn on, but i couldnt read a thing because the display was scrambled (but on) and i had no sound no matter what i pressed or turned. I went to a place that parts out cars, grabbed a couple radios, and a radio harness. I used cable connectors to connect the new one to the car and by the end i have a couple extra cables. I say what the heck, toss on my orig. radio, no display, no sound (mind you orig. did not have push to turn on). so i try the other radios, one is a cassette one that has all of my same cords in the car, turn on display, get “disabled” sign. okay, i try the other radio i purchased. cd player, but a newer one with a cable i dont have and also missing a cable i do have. turn it on, disabled. im at a dead end right now and could use the help! thanks.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Are we talking about original BMW radio's here? I am guessing so because you keep getting the "disabled" on the screen. You would need to program in the new radios, as they are coded by the vin number.

Of course you could also look at getting a Kenwood with an adaptor to fit in there as well.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2001 BMW e46 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

Are we talking about original BMW radio's here? I am guessing so because you keep getting the "disabled" on the screen. You would need to program in the new radios, as they are coded by the vin number.

Of course you could also look at getting a Kenwood with an adaptor to fit in there as well.

how would i go about doing that?

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Progman, ISTA or similar program to code the radio. You can check with a local dealership = $$$ or a Indy =$$, perhaps a local BMW chapter mechanic = $
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    E46 radio does not need programming to work. It says "disabled" because it is not receiving the k-bus signal. Does your instrument cluster work normally?

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Also can't see pictures

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Yep, swapped many OEM radios in my car trying to get one with perfect display and never needed coding.

Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post
    E46 radio does not need programming to work. It says "disabled" because it is not receiving the k-bus signal. Does your instrument cluster work normally?

My Cars
    2001 BMW e46 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by randy72877 View Post

okay so i have a different instrument cluster in right now. my original one all worked besides the gauges, so i switched it for another one for now, but this one the center display at the bottom doesnt switch when i press the button on my turning signals. ill have to put mine back in and see if it’ll get the radio working again.

My Cars
    2001 BMW e46 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdefence View Post
    okay so i have a different instrument cluster in right now. my original one all worked besides the gauges, so i switched it for another one for now, but this one the center display at the bottom doesnt switch when i press the button on my turning signals. ill have to put mine back in and see if it’ll get the radio working again.
    I plan on sending my orig. cluster to a guy who can fix the gauges (refer to previous thread on my acc), so this other one is just what im using for now since it gets the job done.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdefence View Post
    I plan on sending my orig. cluster to a guy who can fix the gauges (refer to previous thread on my acc), so this other one is just what im using for now since it gets the job done.
    The cluster not working correctly is also a symptom of a k-bus failure. Go to www.bmwgm5.com and read about the k-bus and the symptoms of no k-bus communication. If that is what your car is doing, there is also helpful diagnostic info.