Thread: What should I do next? 09 335i

My Cars
    09 335i

What should I do next? 09 335i

Hello,

I have a 2009 335i

Currently it has downpipes, exhaust, intake, tune, and a charge pipe with a blow off valve.

I am still running the stock intercooler and stock piping to feed the turbos. I am wondering if I am feeding the turbos (stock) hot air and losing power due to that, or if the restrictive factory piping is causing it, or if I am just wrong all together and am not at a power level to need an intercooler/tubing yet. At the very least I feel like it may be a restriction of flow through the stock intercooler, but I'm not sure so I thought it best to ask.

Based on this, what would be the next best step?

Thank you.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Next step for what?

What problem are you trying to fix?
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    09 335i
    I am trying to let the car make as much power as the tune allows and improve throttle response.

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    What tune?

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    yummybmw,

It sounds like you think there is an issue.
    You would first need to ensure there is none, then if you are looking at improving performance, that's another story.

We need a goal if we are to help.

Is something wrong?
    Is all OK and you want more power?
    Do you want to redesign the engine to ensure it's efficient?

My Cars
    09 335i
    Nothing seems to be wrong, and I finally figured out my engine lights. It was a costly and annoying DME issue, but it's gone. I am trying to realize the maximum potential of this engine within my budget of about 1500$. I am considering a multitude of options but don;t want to sink all of my capital into one venture if it means running into other worse restrictions down the line. My end goal is to make a little over 500, reliably, and improve the throttle response.

My Cars
    are slow.
    You posted the same question twice, in the same forum within the week....

You're likely around 330-350whp. Which puts you around 400 crank hp (assuming you're on 91 octane).

Honestly the answer for big power is a single turbo. N54 motors are fairly stout, and can handle around 600whp before stuff starts to bend/break. My 6266 builds boost just before 3k and keeps you planted into your seat until 7200.

You have mostly everything done, I would strongly advise a 7" stepped intercooler. Do whatever you can to keep the air intake temperatures down, it will help greatly with timing. Do you have MHD? If so, you can monitor the fuel flow, boost and also timing adjustments in realtime and see what is going on. Any difference in charge temperatures is huge, and can easily net a bunch of HP.

I mentioned it in the other post, but I don't think you should change your inlet pipes unless you're dead set on spending money. I've never seen dynos showing more than a few hp when changing them. Nothing like the 30hp that they claim to add. Plus if you're going to run them in the stock location, the rear one is a bit of a pain to install.

Other than that, I don't know what tune you're running, or what fuel you have available. If you can get 93 octane, and then mix in an E30-E40 blend, there's no reason you can't get 500 crank hp with just an intercooler, new lower pressure fuel pump, and a custom tune. The off the shelf tunes aren't bad, but if you're looking for that extra bit of power, a custom tune is FAR better than what comes with MHD or JB4. I'll say it again because I really really can't speak highly enough of him, I highly recommend David Shoup in Jacksonville FL.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidShoupTuning/

Amazing guy, will work night and day to find every single piece of power you want, and has spent countless nights and hours with me trying to smooth out everybit of VANOS timing and fueling maps. He's really an artist.

I would avoid meth injection unless you feel like you want the headache, and don't want to go single turbo, but you'll soon realize that the amount you've spent so far, you could have gone single turbo from the start, be making WAY more power, and have spent less. Meth injection is a bandaid for a fueling issue, nothing more.

If you're an automatic, I seriously recommend changing your shift solenoids with brand new ZF units. FCP has the best deal on these, as well as the double D seal, and the 4 small seals as well. The pan, and also the fluid with Mercon-SP (ford) You need 7 quarts. Then installing the XHP transmission tune. I run the stage 3 on my car, and it's unreal fast. It has changed the car completely, and is well worth the money. All said, it should be about $500 in parts for the transmission tune and parts alone, so it isn't cheap, but well worth it. The car feels more like a racecar with all of it.
    Last edited by Hova; 06-06-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    09 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    You posted the same question twice, in the same forum within the week....

You're likely around 330-350whp. Which puts you around 400 crank hp (assuming you're on 91 octane).

Honestly the answer for big power is a single turbo. N54 motors are fairly stout, and can handle around 600whp before stuff starts to bend/break. My 6266 builds boost just before 3k and keeps you planted into your seat until 7200.

You have mostly everything done, I would strongly advise a 7" stepped intercooler. Do whatever you can to keep the air intake temperatures down, it will help greatly with timing. Do you have MHD? If so, you can monitor the fuel flow, boost and also timing adjustments in realtime and see what is going on. Any difference in charge temperatures is huge, and can easily net a bunch of HP.

I mentioned it in the other post, but I don't think you should change your inlet pipes unless you're dead set on spending money. I've never seen dynos showing more than a few hp when changing them. Nothing like the 30hp that they claim to add. Plus if you're going to run them in the stock location, the rear one is a bit of a pain to install.

Other than that, I don't know what tune you're running, or what fuel you have available. If you can get 93 octane, and then mix in an E30-E40 blend, there's no reason you can't get 500 crank hp with just an intercooler, new lower pressure fuel pump, and a custom tune. The off the shelf tunes aren't bad, but if you're looking for that extra bit of power, a custom tune is FAR better than what comes with MHD or JB4. I'll say it again because I really really can't speak highly enough of him, I highly recommend David Shoup in Jacksonville FL.

https://www.facebook.com/DavidShoupTuning/

Amazing guy, will work night and day to find every single piece of power you want, and has spent countless nights and hours with me trying to smooth out everybit of VANOS timing and fueling maps. He's really an artist.

I would avoid meth injection unless you feel like you want the headache, and don't want to go single turbo, but you'll soon realize that the amount you've spent so far, you could have gone single turbo from the start, be making WAY more power, and have spent less. Meth injection is a bandaid for a fueling issue, nothing more.

If you're an automatic, I seriously recommend changing your shift solenoids with brand new ZF units. FCP has the best deal on these, as well as the double D seal, and the 4 small seals as well. The pan, and also the fluid with Mercon-SP (ford) You need 7 quarts. Then installing the XHP transmission tune. I run the stage 3 on my car, and it's unreal fast. It has changed the car completely, and is well worth the money. All said, it should be about $500 in parts for the transmission tune and parts alone, so it isn't cheap, but well worth it. The car feels more like a racecar with all of it.

Thank you for all that information. I'll look into intercoolers, although I'm extremely impressed with how little heatsoak I notice. I had looked into upgrading the turbos but all the paths I found were dead ends (like vargas and the breaking at 2,000 miles stuff). I don't think I can afford to do a big turbo build, but I can certainly pick up the intercooler. I do not know what tune the car came with because it has had the same one from the prior owner until this point, but I've added a few things since. I haven't spent much as this is my second car, I have been getting second-hand parts. Hopefully there are some experienced BMW tuners here in los angeles.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by yummybmw View Post
    Thank you for all that information. I'll look into intercoolers, although I'm extremely impressed with how little heatsoak I notice. I had looked into upgrading the turbos but all the paths I found were dead ends (like vargas and the breaking at 2,000 miles stuff). I don't think I can afford to do a big turbo build, but I can certainly pick up the intercooler. I do not know what tune the car came with because it has had the same one from the prior owner until this point, but I've added a few things since. I haven't spent much as this is my second car, I have been getting second-hand parts. Hopefully there are some experienced BMW tuners here in los angeles.

Get a custom tune. They don't need to be local to you. Remote tunes are just as good.

You'll be so much happier with a custom tune, MHD on an android, and a new intercooler.

You don't notice the heat soak because the car pulls timing as much as it needs to for it not to blow. The N54 ECU is damn good, it's seriously impressive for a stock car. It will pull or add timing at will for motor health.

Don't do the Vargas turbos, or the RB's, they are all garbage and fail overtime. Save your money and go single turbo. It's seriously a completely different car.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President