Thread: Chassis Harness - Compatibility

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S

Chassis Harness - Compatibility

Doing an engine swap in my Z3 using a donor M-Roadster - going from the M44 to S52. I'm curious if anyone has done this, and if the chassis harnesses are significantly different when it comes to key components, such as the ABS/ASC. A few key items after pulling the engine has me a little concerned I may have to pull over the chassis harness as well. Interested if anyone has experience with this - particularly the below questions.

• Does the fuel system need to be swapped as well - pump and sender, fiter and regulator?
    • If the speedo is coming over from the M, assume the control box will as well - are the chassis harnesses going to work together with the M speedo/tach senders?
    • If ABS and other components all work off the same sensors, is there any impact to just using the M roaderster ABS control box?

I have all of the M parts/harnesses but they're a real PIA to get out and I'd rather not have to completely remove the recipient car's harness and reinstall for a few minor differences that I may be able to just wire separately. ETK suggests there are some slight differences in the ABS but its hard to tell if switching over the relays and control boxes might solve this. The recipient chassis is pretty well gutted for track setup, so getting to the harness isn't so bad, but removing the center section to get behind the AC/Heating system is going to be a real pain.

My Cars
    z3
    Its been done a few times, M44 to S52 swaps, have you searched for those?

I cant inagine youll have to swap the chassis harness. Fuel pump yes, 4 cyl pump wont supply enough for the s52.
    Gauge cluster, dme, yes, swap those

You could use realeom to see what parts, sensors and harnesses are shared with what

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Its been done a few times, M44 to S52 swaps, have you searched for those?

I cant inagine youll have to swap the chassis harness. Fuel pump yes, 4 cyl pump wont supply enough for the s52.
    Gauge cluster, dme, yes, swap those

You could use realeom to see what parts, sensors and harnesses are shared with what
    I searched and there's info on the engine harness but not much on chassis side wiring. I did review real OEM and the fuel pump is the same part number surprisingly. Same with filters and the fuel supply side but that all changes once you hit the injector rail.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S