Thread: Crank, no start

My Cars
    '03 325ci

Crank, no start

I recently replaced my starter, intake and throttle body gasket, injector o rings, block coolant sensor, both hard coolant lines, and 3 rubber lines, dipstick o ring as well as get rid of the ccv and put a catch can in. Car idled horribly at first but i could keep it alive with gas then i realized i had the brake booster vac line unplugged. Then it ran fine, i moved my car to another parking spot. Came back the next day and the car wouldnt stay alive even if i gave it gas. Tried the following day and now it wont "fully run" its like it grabs a tiny bit but then dies out. there is little to no fuel pressure at the rail but the fuel pump was replaced at 120k and the filter at 109k, the car is currently at 170k. system had 3 codes P0102 p1350 p1345 and another misfire code pending.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Fuel filter is due for replacement though i doubt it is the issue. Check for power at the pumo after turnung the key. Swap horn and fuel pump relays.

How old is your MAF? Is it disconnected? Check the connection.

How old are the precat o2 sensors?

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by harrier View Post
    Fuel filter is due for replacement though i doubt it is the issue. Check for power at the pumo after turnung the key. Swap horn and fuel pump relays.

How old is your MAF? Is it disconnected? Check the connection.

How old are the precat o2 sensors?
    ill check the voltage at the pump tomorrow but i swear i can hear it prime. I dont know if either have been changed in the cars life, i purchased the car at 160k and i cant find a service record for either.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Do you know the brand of the replacement pump?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    How did the car run before the repairs, if it ran fine then I would go back and recheck my work, specifically the electrical connections at the in take manifold

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    Don't know the brand of the pump but it was replaced at a BMW dealership so I'd hope oem. And it ran fine before repairs but it also did after when I found the unhooked hose that's why I'm lost

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    If you moved your car from one parking spot to another and shut it off right away, it could be flooded. This is a common thing for these engines especially in cool or cold weather. The problem is excessive fuel on cold start which is an issue with the dme software. The fix is to crank it with the throttle to the floor until it fires but not more than 15 or 20 seconds at a time giving the starter a few minutes to cool down in between. Battery should be fully charged before doing this. The long term solution to this problem is to run it at least 5 minutes after a cold start.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    No pressure at the rail is an issue. Figure that out first. Test with key at position 2 but engine off. Should be at 50psi. Then remove key and wait 20 minutes. Should not lose any appreciable pressure. If these two measurements aren’t the case, then you need to diagnose pump and filter.

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    Car will run for a bit if I prime the pump a few times before firing leading me to think it's the pump, got it to a shop down the road for a second opinion before I throw money at it.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Good lord - fuel pump replacement is literally one of the easiest diys. Buy a Siemens/VDO and a hose clamp and follow a youtube video

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    I know it's easy, I plan on doing. I said I was getting him to take a second look at it before I do it

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Ok. Sorry about that! Good luck

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    Back again, got my hands on a better tester and most it was pulling was 30. So pump was swapped out with no luck. Next step is the filter/ regulator.

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    Well changed the filter , ran like a dream got about 20 feet down the road and stalled out and started up with the start/ no idle. I'm at a loss now. Any idea what could cause this?
    Could a kink in the line to the fuel rail cause this? It could have happened when I pulled the rail off and changed the starter.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It’s pretty hard to kink that rubber hose that runs from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. Why? There isn’t much slack in that hose. Are you sure you installed the filter correctly? What brand is the fuel filter? The only fuel filter brands to buy are Mahle and Keyser. Both supply fuel filters to BMW. Aftermarket fuel filters are a crap shoot.

My Cars
    '03 325ci
    It was a mahle filter. And I had a friend with a shop install it for me due to not having any garage space to change it at the time. So I don't know could be possible. Could I have just got a bad filter ?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    What is the fuel pressure now that you replaced the pump and filter/regulator? Do you hear the pump? Have you tested for power to the pump by backprobing the connector for the pump with it still connected to the pump? You can carefully insert two small paper clips between the fuel pump wires and the rubber seals in the connector to test for voltage with a multimeter while cranking. Be careful not to let them touch together or you will blow the fuse for the fuel pump.

My Cars
    2004 325ci coupe
    I'm having the same problem wirh my 2004 325ci, it cranks but no start. I was told its the fuel pump removed the back seat to replace and to my surprise the fuel pumps built in the tank and no one has them. the dealer doesn't have tank either they said that particular model was built in Canada

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Quote Originally Posted by bowdonn11 View Post
    I'm having the same problem wirh my 2004 325ci, it cranks but no start. I was told its the fuel pump removed the back seat to replace and to my surprise the fuel pumps built in the tank and no one has them. the dealer doesn't have tank either they said that particular model was built in Canada
    If you have an m56 sulev with the sealed fuel tank, there is a 15 year 150k warranty on emissions components and I think it includes the fuel tank.