Thread: What holds the laminated wood together in the center console?

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports

What holds the laminated wood together in the center console?

I have the center console apart to clean it in my project car. I removed the wood laminate from the plastic so I could wash the sticky pop residue from the PO off the parts.
    I noticed the wood laminate was separating from the metal reinforcement it's glued to and was wondering what might be a good way to reattach the laminate to the metal.
    The wood laminate is bowed and I realize if I force it flat it'll probably crack in the middle.
    I'm mostly concerned with getting the outside edge to stick together enough that it won't bow above the center console when it's all back in the car.
    At work I have access to a pretty strong "rubberized" glue but I don't think it'll hold due to the small surface area available.
    I can use some of the resins we use for composite repairs and then vacuum bag it until it cures.
    I guess I sorta answered my own question but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.
    20190518_012853.jpg20190518_012907.jpg
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I put some industrial adhesive in the gap and clamped it together while it cures. Of course, now that it's clamped flat the wood cracked across the surface. Sigh...
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    It's holding together just fine so I reassembled it. I still need to install the assembly into the center console but it's raining at the moment and I'm not feelin' it.
    I may still replace it at some point but for now, I still have a box of new suspension parts to install. Not feelin' that either. Lol

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    I wouldn't have clamped it together. I would have uniformly weighted it across the whole surface. May not have made a difference but that would have been my route.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    the veneer swelled from absorbing the pop that was spilled and bowed upwards.its possible that a period of dehydrating it may have helped, but from my experiences working with veneers, probably not.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    If I could have re-constituted all that pop it would have made a couple "big-gulps". Gross...

My Cars
    1999 5281
    takes a special kinda man to come up with that thought...lol

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    takes a special kinda man to come up with that thought...lol
    Hahaha, I guess I should have thought that one through a little better.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Previous owners always seem to do terrible things to center consoles. I don't know if I've ever bought a used car and not found all sorts of disgusting horrors under the console.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Now that it's all back together I checked the backlighting for the lighter and ashtray and they still work just fine even though I submerged the circuit board while I was cleaning all the sticky off. I even washed the central lock and flasher buttons. The central lock button didn't work before I washed it.
    My other 540i (princess) was super clean when I bought it from the original owners. They had it detailed regularly. Even with that, they had let their son use it untill I bought it and it had a few small sticky spills.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    The wood trim is pretty but cracks randomly. When first bought my 528i, the wood was pristine. After a super cold winter, then a very hot summer day a few of the pieces developed cracks. It just happened overnight. I ended up swapping out for the high polished silver painted trim. Looks great.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black