Thread: Lemforder 20 piece suspension refresh kit

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il

Lemforder 20 piece suspension refresh kit

Im pretty anal when it comes to noises and feel when driving any of my cars. I know my 740 is 18 years old now with 80k but I think instead of replacing front control arms and ball joints which have some play im told, I want to in one shot do a refresh kit, which gives me a piece of mind and hopefully a "like new" ride. Ive read good things about Lemforder and fcpeuro.com offers lifetime warranty on these parts with "no fine print, no restrictions, no time limit" I wonder how true that statement is but nonetheless I think the complete refresh kit is a deal and eliminates the guessing game of what suspension parts are due soon and what not.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...iece-l#reviews

ECStuning offers a similar refresh kit but with less parts for a few hundred dollars less.

Does the Lemforder kit cover all of the common suspension/steering wear and tear parts or is there something missing which they are not offering?

Also any additional feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by geoprz; 05-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Looks like it has rear sway bars that are unnecessary for some cars

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    It doesn't have a rear sway bar it's all the original parts and is a Great kit. I did it on my car and it was tuff doing it on the floor but do-able. You just need to torque it under load with a full tank then get a front end alignment rides like new.........
    Last edited by setconstr; 05-18-2019 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i, 1998 740iL
    My dad just replaced the original front suspension on a buddy's 130k mile E39 540i with the equivalent Lemforder kit from FCP, along with Sachs struts, and unsurprisingly the car drove like brand new afterwards. I replaced the four front control arms and sway bar links on my '98 740iL with Beck/Arnley aftermarket parts and they made a huge improvement in the way my car drove, but I couldn't describe the ride as "brand new". Maybe 8/10s of brand new ride quality but not quite as good as the 540i with the complete 20 piece kit. So, if you plan on keeping the car in the long term I would definitely recommend the Lemforder suspension kit, but since your car has only 80k miles the struts have quite a bit of life left and you'd be fine driving on them for the next 5 years or so. If you're budget conscious or plan to sell the car soon then just replacing the control arms, sway bar links, and maybe steering links gives satisfying results too.

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by setconstr View Post
    It doesn't have a rear sway bar it's all the original parts and is a Great kit. I did it on my car and it was tuff doing it on the floor but do-able. You just need to torque it under load with a full tank then get a front end alignment rides like new.........
    I have not purchased this for an e38 but I got the same kit for my e39 and overall felt like it was a good kit, feels very OEM. I would agree that if you plan on keeping the car long term this is the best option.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    That's good to hear people have positive experiences with this 20 piece kit by Lemforder. I for sure am keeping this 7 for a long period of time. It will be a nice add on as a collection piece in the garage. So investing in a refresh kit is well worth it. I already have new BC coilovers installed two summers ago so with this new suspension kit hopefully it will feel great again.

My Cars
    2002 540i/6
    I just did a refresh on my front 2001 740i with 115k. For what it's worth I didn't feel any play in the steering center link (TRW-JTY130) or the steering tie rod ends so I opted not to replace them. The steering idle arm also felt rock solid so I left that alone as well. I did replace the suspension stabilizer bushing (FEB-34258) because they were pretty cheap - $6.17 and easy to swap out and the old ones did look worn. Good luck on the refresh
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    I just ordered an 8-piece set of Lemforder suspension components from fcpeuro; I did have my eye on the 20-piece set, but I am not convinced I need to go all out. I may still have to do more eventually, but I'm cautiously wondering whether some of my suspension noises are related to the front EDC struts. A 20 piece set of Lemforder suspension parts would be wonderful to have installed.

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    I just did the 98 740il, what a difference! of all the parts lists:

(1) the 98 740il doesn't have the small downlinks in the picture next to the tie rod ends - not sure if that is an "iL" thing not to have them
    (2) kit doesn't have trailing arm bushings. if everything else is worn I would do these also. From what I found these require new trailing arms which is $$$ - after a week of looking I found some on ebay that are the right spec - shipped from Taiwan in a couple days! Posted this info for them here: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...98-E38-740il-!

My Cars
    1998 740il, 2011 F250 6.
    also, the sideways ball joint links on the integral link are tough the get out - I have a pretty decent cup collection for the press and ended up grinding a bit of a metal pipe to get the edge thin enough to fit - suspect BMW has a cup with a notch cut out to press these. its very do-able - just takes some effort & two people