Thread: Calling All Wiring Gurus! Please help me wire my steering wheel controls!

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is

Calling All Wiring Gurus! Please help me wire my steering wheel controls!

I have need of some help as I have been completely stopped by this process.

I have an Alpine ILX-007
    I have an e38 Multi function steering wheel, retrofit with the heated wheel slip ring.
    I have a PAC SWI-RC

The horn works, the airbag is set up properly (single stage), and the heated wheel works great.

I canÂ’t seem to get the wiring done right for my wheel. The Steering wheel button part number is BMW 8363657.

I followed FrankieÂ’s instructions as best I could when I set it up initially, but have had no luck.

I have wired the PAC red wire into the purple and white wire on the radio harness, I have wired the PAC black wire into the brown ground wire on the stereo harness. IÂ’m supposed to wire the Yellow PAC wire to the IBus/radio wire coming from the slip ring, which is supposed to be yellow/white, but the slip ring I have has 5 wires coming out of it none of which are yellow/white.

It has a solid blue wire, which is the ground wire
    It has a solid brown wire, which is the horn wire
    It has a solid blue wire
    It has a solid black wire
    It has a solid grey wire

Can anyone definitively label the wire colours from the slip ring? Here is a picture:

27D132C0-A9F5-457C-A967-12C042DB4EB5.jpg

I’ve programmed the PAC radio dial to ‘1’ which is supposed to be for Alpine, and I have programmed the PAC to number ‘5’ which is what the instructions say is for all older model BMWs

After that I canÂ’t get the PAC to program and buttons.

Can anyone help?
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...

My Cars
    '95 840Ci, '06 730d
    I recently retrofitted a multifunction steering wheel to my E31 following Frankie’s guide. You may be experiencing the same problem I had initially; on the E31 you need to create an IBUS network (ie a single cable) between the steering wheel controls and the head unit. If you’re using a BMW CD43 unit, this acts as a controller which is necessary for the IBUS, otherwise it remains dormant. If you’re using an aftermarket head unit and steering wheel control adapter, this controller isn’t there.

Essentially, all you have to do is provide voltage to the new IBUS cable (the data cable between the steering wheel adapter and the wheel controls). I bridged the 12v cable and the IBUS cable with a 4k7ohm resistor, works great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    850i, Z3 2.3, X5 4.8is
    Dan, can you explain this to me as though you were explaining it to a child? This all sounds super promising but I need a bit better of an understanding.

I connect the radio wire from the steering wheel, to the appropriate wire on the adapter, are you saying that all I have to do is connect another wire from that junction to a switches power source?
    Live, Love, Life, Amazing...