Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked windshield...$1600 price quote just to buy windshield!!!

My Cars
    1999 750il, 1995 325i, 1995 trans am, 1985 corvett

Cracked windshield...$1600 price quote just to buy windshield!!!

Hi guys,

I had to share this with the forum. A few days ago I noticed a 3 inch hairline crack on my 1999 750il windshield and it has spread to about 10 inches in just a few days. I have been pricing around and have received estimates ranging from $250 installed to $1600 just to purchase a original one from the BMW dealer. According to the dealer...this car has the infrared option as well as the heated wiper area. I do not have the rain sensor option.
    There is obviously a HUGE difference in price from $250 installed for an aftermarket to around $1800 for the BMW glass installed. Not sure if there's that much of a difference between the windshields..I dont want fitment issues with an after market unit that would cause air and water to enter weeks/months after the install. The original glass is made by sekurit and I have heard that they no longer even produce this windshield.
    According to the dealer the part number I need is 51318125877. I came across another BMW glass that was only $395 under part 51318125877 According to the dealer that one is for a pre-facelift 1996 740il.

Well still not certain which way to go with this and was hoping to hear some of your experiences with the aftermarket units. I plan on keeping the car and have been rebuilding the entire drivetrain with the help of this awesome forum

Thanks again for your suggestions

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750iL
    I went to technaglass and got the Norwegian replacement and ha e had no issues.......$350 to replace and comes with the free rock chip repair for the life of the windhshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Prices are all over the place, Safelite sometimes has the aftermarket other times dont. I got my genuine one with UV for around $1,200 installed. More here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=windshield

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by 1999750il View Post
    Hi guys,

I had to share this with the forum. A few days ago I noticed a 3 inch hairline crack on my 1999 750il windshield and it has spread to about 10 inches in just a few days. I have been pricing around and have received estimates ranging from $250 installed to $1600 just to purchase a original one from the BMW dealer. According to the dealer...this car has the infrared option as well as the heated wiper area. I do not have the rain sensor option.
    There is obviously a HUGE difference in price from $250 installed for an aftermarket to around $1800 for the BMW glass installed. Not sure if there's that much of a difference between the windshields..I dont want fitment issues with an after market unit that would cause air and water to enter weeks/months after the install. The original glass is made by sekurit and I have heard that they no longer even produce this windshield.
    According to the dealer the part number I need is 51318125877. I came across another BMW glass that was only $395 under part 51318125877 According to the dealer that one is for a pre-facelift 1996 740il.

Well still not certain which way to go with this and was hoping to hear some of your experiences with the aftermarket units. I plan on keeping the car and have been rebuilding the entire drivetrain with the help of this awesome forum

Thanks again for your suggestions
    According to realoem; the part number you mentioned is valid for a 1999 750iL (I used a 6/1999 production since I don't know your exact production month). A local BMW dealership's online price for that windshield (glass-only) is $371.39. You mentioned the infared option; the part # for that appears to be 51318240880. The local dealer's online price for that windshield (glass-only) is $742.83.

My 2001 740iL has the rain sensor and per a VIN decoder, presumably was delivered with the climate comfort windscreen (option 358A=YES). My car's part # is 51317007399. The local BMW dealership's online price for the that windshield (glass-only) is $793.30.

When I purchased my car last summer, I noticed it had a non-BMW windshield. The brand I have is Fuyao. It is from a Chinese company. The windshield seems fine. It does not leak and I have no complaints. The windshield does not have the green stripe across the top, so I presume what I have to be a non-climate comfort version. I do have the heated wiper area.

Probably as important as the brand is finding a good, established local glass company. Here in California I have used All-Star Glass to replace two windshields on my E36 and they also fixed a rock chip in the windshield on my E38 earlier in the year. I have been very happy with them. No idea for recommendations in New York...

After you replace your windshield; consider asking your insurance company if they can add glass protection to your auto policy. I use Farmers Insurance and have a glass coverage option. For windshield replacement, I believe my deductible is only $100.

Ask your glass company for recommendations on the windshield moulding. I have been advised that the rubber in the newer BMW mouldings deteriorates much sooner than expected. I can attest to that for the rear moulding on my E36 due to having replaced it myself several times. All Star Glass suggested I go with an after-market moulding designed for my car that they believed held up better in the sun's rays. Don't allow anyone to install a "universal" windshield moulding (which is what my previous owner did); it just won't sit right.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    According to realoem; the part number you mentioned is valid for a 1999 750iL (I used a 6/1999 production since I don't know your exact production month). A local BMW dealership's online price for that windshield (glass-only) is $371.39. You mentioned the infared option; the part # for that appears to be 51318240880. The local dealer's online price for that windshield (glass-only) is $742.83.

My 2001 740iL has the rain sensor and per a VIN decoder, presumably was delivered with the climate comfort windscreen (option 358A=YES). My car's part # is 51317007399. The local BMW dealership's online price for the that windshield (glass-only) is $793.30.

When I purchased my car last summer, I noticed it had a non-BMW windshield. The brand I have is Fuyao. It is from a Chinese company. The windshield seems fine. It does not leak and I have no complaints. The windshield does not have the green stripe across the top, so I presume what I have to be a non-climate comfort version. I do have the heated wiper area.

Probably as important as the brand is finding a good, established local glass company. Here in California I have used All-Star Glass to replace two windshields on my E36 and they also fixed a rock chip in the windshield on my E38 earlier in the year. I have been very happy with them. No idea for recommendations in New York...

After you replace your windshield; consider asking your insurance company if they can add glass protection to your auto policy. I use Farmers Insurance and have a glass coverage option. For windshield replacement, I believe my deductible is only $100.

Ask your glass company for recommendations on the windshield moulding. I have been advised that the rubber in the newer BMW mouldings deteriorates much sooner than expected. I can attest to that for the rear moulding on my E36 due to having replaced it myself several times. All Star Glass suggested I go with an after-market moulding designed for my car that they believed held up better in the sun's rays. Don't allow anyone to install a "universal" windshield moulding (which is what my previous owner did); it just won't sit right.
    Prices went down since I checked last time, 51317007399 was over a thousand at my local dealer a year ago.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Prices went down since I checked last time, 51317007399 was over a thousand at my local dealer a year ago.
    Yes and and no... walk up to the parts desk at my local dealer and ask to buy part X, and the will likely charge you full retail. If the person behind the counter sees you often, sometimes you might see a 10%-20% discount; but not guaranteed. Bring in a printout of the current online pricing on their web site and you will get the online price. The owners of the dealership operate bmwdiscountparts.com, which is where I found the prices; their prices are competitive with other online vendors. They offer free pickup at the parts desk, so no shipping costs for me.

That said, I can't imagine a typical DIYer ordering a windshield through their web site (or even at the parts desk); IMHO, that type of item is something best left to the glass professionals... I've been paying attention to windshield costs because, as recently noted in a different thread, getting correct installation of the glass and the moulding and making sure the drain holes work seems to be a challenge.

Back to the OP's dilemma over prices; I think the lesson is simply it pays to shop around as prices can vary significantly. Having some insight into how low some of the windshield prices can be had for will help you understand the markup you might be hearing about in your part of the country.

My Cars
    Hi Thresher...I was shocked to learn the gap in the pricing from $250 installed to $1800. On top of that...most dealers hire third party glass installers anyway so what is the benefit of having paying the insane dealer prices when they hire the same after market installers you could find on your own?? I would certainly prefer the quality and fitment of the OE glass but paying nearly 8 times the price is crazy!! I havent read too many horror reviews from those that chose the cheaper after market glass so I may go that route.
    Thanks again for your advice

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Hi Thresher...I was shocked to learn the gap in the pricing from $250 installed to $1800. On top of that...most dealers hire third party glass installers anyway so what is the benefit of having paying the insane dealer prices when they hire the same after market installers you could find on your own?? I would certainly prefer the quality and fitment of the OE glass but paying nearly 8 times the price is crazy!! I havent read too many horror reviews from those that chose the cheaper after market glass so I may go that route.
    Thanks again for your advice
    Aftermarket glass is fine, the horror stories are usually about the installation. Even BMW dealers messing it up causing terrible wind-noise.

My Cars
    see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    Aftermarket glass is fine, the horror stories are usually about the installation. Even BMW dealers messing it up causing terrible wind-noise.
    George is spot on here... There are special factory tools, jigs, and procedures for the E38 that the glazer needs to be aware of on this install.

My Cars
    Hi guys..thanks for the advice. After speaking to several third party installers and some dealerships....its amazing to find out that the majority of dealerships hire do not do the actual install of the windshield and instead hire the local auto glass shop.
    I doubt these third party installers have make specific tools/ jigs or procedures..I could be wrong but I doubt it. I would imagine the prep of the window frame and the use of primer/activator and a quality urethane is what makes the most difference. That assuming that the less expensive after market glass has the proper dimensions to fit as good as the OE. There are just too many variables to consider.lol

My Cars
    see my signature
    Hi guys..thanks for the advice. After speaking to several third party installers and some dealerships....its amazing to find out that the majority of dealerships hire do not do the actual install of the windshield and instead hire the local auto glass shop.
    I doubt these third party installers have make specific tools/ jigs or procedures..I could be wrong but I doubt it. I would imagine the prep of the window frame and the use of primer/activator and a quality urethane is what makes the most difference. That assuming that the less expensive after market glass has the proper dimensions to fit as good as the OE. There are just too many variables to consider.lol
    I think another key difference is how the windshield is shimmed upon installation. if it's not jigged up right, you're going to get wind noise. I'm sure it has to do with setting the proper gap at the top of the window, but I'm not sure what the installation kit/procedure looks like. I've only heard about it multiple times over the years.
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    From our friend Timm - TIS instructions - 11 pages

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/Windsc...eplacement.pdf

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Many of us ended up buying the special tool (51 3 210) and bringing it to the installer. Without the tool it's probably impossible to get the proper height of the windshield. Tool itself was cheap, something like $15. Was hard to get it though. I dont have it anymore, installer kept it.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    From Bimmerfest - link - see download of template in chat
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/661730

My Cars
    Hi George. Thanks for the advice. I cant believe the detailed process for installing the glass. I find it hard to believe that most dealers/ glass installers even know of this process let alone comply with it. I have called around to several dealers and they claim they have other glass companies do the install...just not believing they follow this detailed procedure. I will try to locate the special tool as well as the two different spacers used on the new glass

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5

My Cars
    Hi Guys...so today I made an appointment with Safelite auto glass to replace my windshield at a whopping price of $370..all in. I originally wanted the BMW glass but the least expensive one I could find was $1000 + tax.
    If I wanted to have the dealer install it..that price jumps to a mere $2,700 + tax!!!
    I know my BMW glass came with a heated wiper area and climate comfort or (IR) infrared...and the Safelite will have the heated wiper area but probably not the special IR coating...but for the $370 price and lifetime/nationwide warranty...I think I made the right decision
    According to the dealer..there are only 4 of these windshields left in the US....regardless I cant justify spending $3000 for a windshield.
    Thanks again for all the good advice I received. I may still purchase the BMW tool that helps gauge the gaps.

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    Let us know how you like it..$370 all in is a good deal... I have a lot of windnoise from an inproperly installed windshield, for $370 i might just swap it out...
    Pete

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    New glass is a really nice experience. Best of luck with the wind noise

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Hi Guys...so today I made an appointment with Safelite auto glass to replace my windshield at a whopping price of $370..all in. I originally wanted the BMW glass but the least expensive one I could find was $1000 + tax.
    If I wanted to have the dealer install it..that price jumps to a mere $2,700 + tax!!!
    I know my BMW glass came with a heated wiper area and climate comfort or (IR) infrared...and the Safelite will have the heated wiper area but probably not the special IR coating...but for the $370 price and lifetime/nationwide warranty...I think I made the right decision
    According to the dealer..there are only 4 of these windshields left in the US....regardless I cant justify spending $3000 for a windshield.
    Thanks again for all the good advice I received. I may still purchase the BMW tool that helps gauge the gaps.
    I think somebody here had Safelite installed it, they messed it up at the first time (usual windnoise) but did it properly for the second time for free. So not that bad overall.

My Cars
    Hi guys,

So here's the latest update on my windshield issue. I found a new windshield from Sekurit...same german brand as the cracked one, from a third party installer for $450 all in. This price also includes the bmw upper windshield trim. While this one will have the wiper heater and green band..it will not have the Infrared coating as the windshield from the BMW dealer...but they wanted any where from $1000 to $1350 just to purchase the glass and another $800 to $1350 to install it!!
    I cancelled my appointment with safelite since they were offering me a chinese brand glass and regular molding...not molded for the windshield like the bmw version. I also purchased the rubber spacers for the windshield as well as the gauge that helps determine the correct distance from the roof line.
    Thanks again for all your ideas/thoughts and I will keep you posted on the outcome

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Hi guys,

So here's the latest update on my windshield issue. I found a new windshield from Sekurit...same german brand as the cracked one, from a third party installer for $450 all in. This price also includes the bmw upper windshield trim. While this one will have the wiper heater and green band..it will not have the Infrared coating as the windshield from the BMW dealer...but they wanted any where from $1000 to $1350 just to purchase the glass and another $800 to $1350 to install it!!
    I cancelled my appointment with safelite since they were offering me a chinese brand glass and regular molding...not molded for the windshield like the bmw version. I also purchased the rubber spacers for the windshield as well as the gauge that helps determine the correct distance from the roof line.
    Thanks again for all your ideas/thoughts and I will keep you posted on the outcome
    Where did you get the gauge? I should probably buy one just in case. That seems to be the crucial tool.

My Cars
    Hi George,
    I purchased the gauge and the rubber spacers from FCP euro.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Hi George,
    I purchased the gauge and the rubber spacers from FCP euro.
    Do you have a link? Not finding it, thanks!

My Cars
    Hi George
    Sorry for the late reply
    The template is part 83300495259
    The spacer is part 51311925433
    Thanks for all your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast