Thread: Wiring up an M52 in a kit car - No spark

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i

Wiring up an M52 in a kit car - No spark

Hi, I'm trying to wire up an M52 to run in a kit car. To give you an idea of the problem I have, see the picture below.
    I'm trying to get a spark, but had no luck and need ideas of what to try next.
    I don't have a diagnostic port, wiring for it, binnacle or wiring for it so all tests need to be basic.

What I've done so far.

Re-flashed the ECU (MS42) using EWS delete 512kb file using JMGarageFlasher. It said "Upload successful" and when I downloaded the ROM again it matched what I uploaded. That's the only test I have done on the ECU. If anyone has an MS42 car that I can plug my ECU into in the South Croydon area as a test that would be great. Otherwise, I assume the ECU works and doesn't require EWS.

Plugged in a few of the sensors. Crank pos and CAMS. Should be enough to let the ECU know the engine is turning. Can anyone confirm?

Permanently hot wires all wired up to the batter +ve. Bunch of grounds also wired up.

Activated the Engine Control Module relay (K6300, blue one) at the X6011 terminal. It clicks. Then clicks again after about 10 seconds, but wires stay live so not sure wat that's about. Anyway, seems to work ok.

The unloader K6326 relay (pale green) doesn't activate as expected so I've bypassed it for now with a jumper. I believe this is needed to provide power to the coils.

Crank over (just shorting the starter terminals) and no spark. Yeey!!

Tried testing the coils and loom by grounding one of the pins in the X60005 (ECU terminal) and it sparks at the plug, so I'm confident that it's not an issue from the ECU out to the spark plug/ground.

I hope the above makes sense. Any ideas what I can try next?

How can I test that the ECU is receiving the required signal that the engine is turning, or how can I check that the ECU is even booting up?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20190518_182843688.jpg
    Last edited by Richard1986; 05-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    Checked the wiring for the crank and two cam sensors today.
    Each one measured.
    One wire 5v
    One wire 12v
    One wire good ground.
    I believe this is normal, if the ECU is kicking out 5v for the sensors I assume this means it's at least booted up?
    Any other checks anyone can recommend?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    Figured it out.
    It was a dumb mistake in the end.
    I forgot about the +12v needed on the X60004 ECU plug. I say forgot, because I had to supply 12v to reflash the ECU.
    Anyway, I guess without it it's like trying to start a car with the key in the first position (i,e, ignition not technically on).

Good, now I can move on

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Good for you! That must have been frustrating...
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    motorV8ed, it was. There was so much of the wiring that was missing/non standard, not to mention the modified ECU that there could have been 101 reasons for it not firing.Just glad it was something simple in the end otherwise I might have spent weeks just tying different configurations.