Thread: Clearance question for those with upgraded/larger radiators.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Clearance question for those with upgraded/larger radiators.

I currently have a CSF radiator. After installing it a couple of years ago I noticed that the expansion tank sat a lot closer to the valve cover than I would have liked. Truth be told I don't remember how close it was with the original radiator but I don't think it should have been close enough to touch it. You can see from the pictures that it was close enough to slowly rub away a bit of the valve cover and the nearby bolt's O-ring/grommet. Unfortunately today I got the smell of coolant as I pulled it into the garage so I checked under the hood and I believe I have a hairline crack in the 2 year old expansion tank. I'm guessing this is from the tank rubbing against the engine over time, coupled with heat and expansion.

Motor mounts are Lemforders and Transmission mounts are E21 mounts with enforcer cups. Both about 3 years old with 10k miles on them so I think I'm fine there.
    First 2 pictures were of the fresh install about 2.5 years ago. The following pictures are how it sits now that I pulled the core (I think) a bit.

1 - Does anyone else's CSF radiator cause their expansion tank to sit this close?

2 - Would an S54 Z3M radiator's tanks cause the expansion tank to sit this close as well or do you think I'd gain some clearance? I like the idea of a thicker triple core radiator but I don't want to change expansion tank every other year if it's going to keep rubbing.

3 - I've loosened the two bolts on the ends of the core support and pulled it forward while tightening to create a little more space. Not much, but every little bit helps. Any other places/panels/bolts i can play with to create a little more room between the tank and valve cover?

Thanks in advance!
    Fresh 1.jpg
    Fresh 2.jpg
    Now 1.jpg
    Now 4.jpg
    Now 5.jpg
    Last edited by LockDots; 05-17-2019 at 09:59 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    How about a Euro tank conversion? Lots of clearance and self bleeding.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    How about a Euro tank conversion? Lots of clearance and self bleeding.
    I'm going to start pricing that out next, but may hold off since I'd have to get rid of my SAP and that would bump me up a class or two in AutoX.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Can you relocate the SAP to behind the bumper cover does it have to be stock location?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Can you relocate the SAP to behind the bumper cover does it have to be stock location?
    Can't be relocated/modified unfortunately.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I saw your post on Facebook and can only comment that maybe your radiator support is bent. Clearly it has been screwed with (unless the position marks are just from you moving it).

No clearance issues here with a 54mm Fatboy.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 05-18-2019 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I saw your post on Facebook and can only comment that maybe your radiator support is bent. Clearly it has been screwed with (unless the position marks are just from you moving it).

Those are from me moving it around. Someone else commented in another E36 facebook group that their CSF also sits like mine does. For now I think i'm going to just swap the tank and mod the radiator brackets to pull it closer to the core support and switch to a Z3 S54 radiator over winter.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Would anyone notice if you modified the radiator holding clips like Dinan does for the supercharger to tilt the top of the radiator forward by maybe 1/2”?

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    My 76mm PWR radiator has more clearance for the overflow tank than the OP's. (I subsequently did the Euro coolant overflow tank mod, but not for that reason.)

DSC01215-sm.jpg

It never touched even under track usage.

I'd suggest tweaking the rad mounting.

Neil

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    I have the S54 Z3M radiator in my 97 M3 and I never paid attention to this to be honest, but I have about 3mm clearance.. No dirt is rubbed off the valve cover so I guess it doesn't make contact

0520192239.jpg

0520192239a.jpg

0520192240b.jpg

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    My 76mm PWR radiator has more clearance for the overflow tank than the OP's. (I subsequently did the Euro coolant overflow tank mod, but not for that reason.)

DSC01215-sm.jpg

It never touched even under track usage.

I'd suggest tweaking the rad mounting.

Neil
    Yeah, that's what it's looking like I'm going to do this weekend. Swap in a new tank for now and pull the radiator up, then put a screw through the brackets/support like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    I have the S54 Z3M radiator in my 97 M3 and I never paid attention to this to be honest, but I have about 3mm clearance.. No dirt is rubbed off the valve cover so I guess it doesn't make contact

0520192239.jpg

0520192239a.jpg

0520192240b.jpg
    Super helpful! That's the radiator I may switch to at the end of the year so it's nice to know that while it's close it doesn't touch. I guess I could always go with the radiator and the modified brackets like I just mentioned above for even better clearance.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the responses.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Ended up modding the brackets for now. Pulled the radiator toward the core support. I spaced it so there's a very small gap between the radiator and core support to prevent it from rubbing there. Just to play it safe I put some split loom along the seam of the support just in case it shakes and touches so there's no metal on metal contact. Ended up yielding me about a half inch gap between the expansion tank and valve cover. Should be fine now. And yes, I know the clip for the tank is missing. Just didn't put it in before I took the pictures.

May still switch to a Z3 S54 radiator during winter, but this will do for now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockDots; 05-25-2019 at 12:50 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Since your rad support is in full exterior body color, 99% it’s bent. That is a clear indicator of a front end collision.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Since your rad support is in full exterior body color, 99% it’s bent. That is a clear indicator of a front end collision.
    It's definitely been in a front-end collision in it's past. Didn't know the core being painted was an indicator. I guess they just repainted it or used an aftermarket one. Do you have a picture of an original one?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    While not original, Snader shows off the original painting process damn well. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...6&postcount=19

I assure you though, that support is not original in color.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Are they all the charcoal gray color and the same color as the engine bay? I know mine is. Or does it depend on original body color?
    Mine (Techno Violet body)

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    While not original, Snader shows off the original painting process damn well. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...6&postcount=19

I assure you though, that support is not original in color.
    I had no doubts that it's been painted, due to the accident in its past. It looks straight to me though. Only thing I can think of is that it's not original and hence the dimensions are slightly off. Without removing it I can't see any BMW stamps or markings. I would assume it's aftermarket but the hood and fender that were replaced have the DOT OE stickers on them so I can only assume that this is likely the original part if it wasn't replaced, which could then explain why the tank sat so close to the valve cover. That being said a couple of other people have confirmed the same type of fitment with their tanks also using a CSF radiator.

Long story short, who knows lol.