View Poll Results: What to do with this Coupe

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell it as is.

9 90.00%
  • Sell it with the spare parts.

1 10.00%
  • Sell it after I fix it up and play with it?

0 0%

Thread: What to do with my Z3 Coupe Project Car?

My Cars
    Coupes...

What to do with my Z3 Coupe Project Car?

I was changing the brake pads and bleeding the brakes on my project car last night, and I realized I am never going to drive this car. I could keep it for a loaner to friends or something, but there isn't much point to that, right?

179k miles, 11/98 Build Date, M52TU

So I am trying to decide where to go with it. Mechanically its sound, no issues, run like a top, starts perfectly every time. The brakes were kinda noisy, and I had some axxis ceramic brake pads just laying around, so I swapped those in with new fluid. Stops much better now, but probably completely unnecessary. I was looking at them when I replaced the front bumper cover and the fender liners and project creep is a serious issue for me. The PO had run over too many parking curbs and chewed up the underside of the front bumper to the point that it was getting droopy.

So do I fix it up and sell it, or do I sell it as is?

Fixes planned:

Euro under-panel & glove box, no more squeaking!
    Perfect condition brown Z3 seats.
    Swap out the door panel inserts to match.
    Re-do headliner in alcantara.
    Install M mirrors.
    Swap ugly wood grain console for M 3 gauge console.
    Polish up the headlights or swap with new aftermarket.
    Probably do the cooling system overhaul just as a precaution.
    Plasti-dip or maybe a low cost re-shoot.

The only real issue with the car is that a previous owner put a poor quality repaint on the car to change it black from Boston Green, that and some dents here and there but a dent wizard could easily take those right out.

Also, its an automatic, which was really nice to have when I had my shoulder surgery, but it doesn't get driven nearly as much as I thought it would. The AC works great, the car shifts smoothly, and I tend to over-maintain cars because that's just me. Plus I have a mountain of parts that are just collecting dust so I always have fun putting them to use.

The cheapest Z3 Coupe on the market at the moment is around $6500

I would need to get closer to $10k with all the fixes, and I'm not sure its worth all the time and effort when I have 4 other coupes to drive.

Airbag light is on because of the seat sensor, I scanned and and will replace the sensor when I swap out the seats.

All these fixes are relatively easy to do, it just takes time. The interior is in really good condition, other than the driver's bolster being chewed all to hell, but the replacement seats will fix all of that. I think this would be a really sharp car with a flat plasti-dipped type paint job.

Would you fix it up or let it go?
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    z3
    It doesn't seem like you have an interest in keeping the car

Doing all those "fixes" and etc would be great for you, but the next buyer may not care, or specifically may not want some of it repaired, or otherwise may prefer to buy it cheaper as-is and do the repairs themselves. Plasti-dipping it will also hurt the value of the car, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Even with all the fixes done, its a high mile car that has been repainted. You arent likely to see money back from the fixes you put into it, as such IMO for your wallet, the friendliest solution is probably to sell as-is and keep any extra parts for your other coupes or sell on those parts as well if so inclined.

The Z3 badge is also in the wrong spot lol

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Do you have kids? Perfect for that.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    you have 4 other coupes to drive?!?

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0

What to do with my Z3 Coupe Project Car?

m
    Last edited by Potes; 05-17-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: mm

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    you have 4 other coupes to drive?!?
    Ah I see you've just met Brent for the first time...

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    First step, peel off the Z3 badge that's in the very wrong spot. Then I say polish up the headlights, install some grilles and corner lights, maybe pop in some center caps, give it a good detail and sell it! The thought of PlastiDip makes me cringe.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Fix necessary mechanical issues,
    Clean interior,
    Polish current headlights to clear(er),
    Wash,
    basic paint correction,
    wax,
    Glamour Shots,
    Send it!

If i were in the market for a coupe, the M Mirrors, console, Euro panels and headliner I might notice, but would offer no value. The replaced seats wouldn't offer much value either, especially brown (depending on the current color). Plastidip and headlights would turn me off more than poor paint would. Makes me think you're hiding something, and more work for me to have to peel it off when I got home. (Are all the body panels the same color under this? Is there Bondo/primer/etc hidden by the plastidip?) As stated, it's a high miles auto coupe with a repaint, so you're already off the market value a bit for that.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Honestly if you're going to do anything to boost the resale value, a manual transmission will add much more value than any euro items or plastidip would

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I was changing the brake pads and bleeding the brakes on my project car last night, and I realized I am never going to drive this car. I could keep it for a loaner to friends or something, but there isn't much point to that, right?

179k miles, 11/98 Build Date, M52TU

So I am trying to decide where to go with it. Mechanically its sound, no issues, run like a top, starts perfectly every time. The brakes were kinda noisy, and I had some axxis ceramic brake pads just laying around, so I swapped those in with new fluid. Stops much better now, but probably completely unnecessary. I was looking at them when I replaced the front bumper cover and the fender liners and project creep is a serious issue for me. The PO had run over too many parking curbs and chewed up the underside of the front bumper to the point that it was getting droopy.

So do I fix it up and sell it, or do I sell it as is?

Fixes planned:

Euro under-panel & glove box, no more squeaking!
    Perfect condition brown Z3 seats.
    Swap out the door panel inserts to match.
    Re-do headliner in alcantara.
    Install M mirrors.
    Swap ugly wood grain console for M 3 gauge console.
    Polish up the headlights or swap with new aftermarket.
    Probably do the cooling system overhaul just as a precaution.
    Plasti-dip or maybe a low cost re-shoot.

The only real issue with the car is that a previous owner put a poor quality repaint on the car to change it black from Boston Green, that and some dents here and there but a dent wizard could easily take those right out.

Also, its an automatic, which was really nice to have when I had my shoulder surgery, but it doesn't get driven nearly as much as I thought it would. The AC works great, the car shifts smoothly, and I tend to over-maintain cars because that's just me. Plus I have a mountain of parts that are just collecting dust so I always have fun putting them to use.

The cheapest Z3 Coupe on the market at the moment is around $6500

I would need to get closer to $10k with all the fixes, and I'm not sure its worth all the time and effort when I have 4 other coupes to drive.

Airbag light is on because of the seat sensor, I scanned and and will replace the sensor when I swap out the seats.

All these fixes are relatively easy to do, it just takes time. The interior is in really good condition, other than the driver's bolster being chewed all to hell, but the replacement seats will fix all of that. I think this would be a really sharp car with a flat plasti-dipped type paint job.

Would you fix it up or let it go?

My Cars
    2001 BMW z3 3.0
    these cars will never be worth money..

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Potes View Post
    these cars will never be worth money..
    Lmao