Thread: 2008 Z4 soft top issues/code error

My Cars
    2008 Z4

2008 Z4 soft top issues/code error

I have a 2008 Z4. When pressing the button, the windows will go down and top will unlatch, but the top itself will not go down. You can hear the motor running, but no movement. I can manually pull it up and then pressing button will latch it again. I recently bought the Foxwell NT510 and the error I get (with top up) is 63-CVM:Time exceeded, close convertable top. Any ideas as to where I should start before just running to replace motor?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    I believe the top is hydraulic. The motor is running so I would say no hydraulic pressure or possible no or low fluid.

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    I’m sorry if this is a dumb question-but how do you check the fluid? I have Googled the hell out of this and can’t find any answers.

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    The only way to check the fluid is by pulling the top.

Please watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k31nU0FWmtE

Afterwards, please search in youtube using "bmw Z4 top" and watch as many as you can, which detail the various problems on these convertible tops

My Cars
    2003 z4
    If you hear the motor running but top won’t go down then you have no hydraulic fluid which means a leak somewhere. It could be in the hydraulic lines or the cylinder. Pressing the down button for long periods of time will result in the error code that you mentioned. Motor is at the left rear side of the driver...you can see it if top is up...not much space to put your hand in there and try to pry open the plastic cover....if you have small hands maybe you can. If you were able to remove the plastic cover of the motor then you can remove the nut on top of it and add hydraulic fluid then see if your top moves. For sure you have a leak and once you add fluid and start lowering the top, fluid would come out somewhere. Probably in drains in the rear wheel well near the doors.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Hey guys, does the Foxwell NT510/520 allow reading of the Z4 convertible top values: control button, convertible top compartment floor, convertible top position, convertible top catch, cowl panel motor, pump relay ? Does it also support setting of those values? I'm also looking to purchase the tool for my soft top problem which is described below. Any help would be very much appreciated:

Observations
    What doesn't work:

• When the top is closed manually and the allen key is used to lock it in place, the red LED in the vehicle blinks red continuously. When I disconnect the battery, wait a long period of time, then reconnect the battery the red LED still blinks red continuously.
    • With the top window frame latch manually disengaged with the allen key, pressing the "open top" button does nothing and the red LED blinks continuously.

What works:

• When the top is opened beyond the half way point, and the "open top" button is pressed, the hydraulic pump/motor works by bringing the top down automatically, the top is latched down in the open position, and the red LED stops blinking.
    • When the top is opened manually to the fully open position, and the "open top" button is pressed, the hydraulic pump/motor sounds like it's working and the top is latched down in the open position, and the red LED stops blinking.
    • With the top down, when the "close top" button is pressed, the windows are lowered, the lock hooks open, the hydraulic pump/motor engages, the top begins to close but then gets stuck very early in the cycle. Pressing the "close top" button again will sometimes cause the pump/motor to re-engage and the roof closes slightly more, but never beyond the half way point.

Other observations:

• When the top is partially closed, placing a metal object on the "closed position" hall sensor causes the red LED to stop blinking. However when closing the top manually, the red LED returns to continuous blinking
    • I've shorted the pins on the convertible top compartment switch to signal "floor down"

Thanks
    ray

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by rejjie View Post
    Hey guys, does the Foxwell NT510/520 allow reading of the Z4 convertible top values: control button, convertible top compartment floor, convertible top position, convertible top catch, cowl panel motor, pump relay ? Does it also support setting of those values? I'm also looking to purchase the tool for my soft top problem which is described below. Any help would be very much appreciated:

Observations
    What doesn't work:

• When the top is closed manually and the allen key is used to lock it in place, the red LED in the vehicle blinks red continuously. When I disconnect the battery, wait a long period of time, then reconnect the battery the red LED still blinks red continuously.
    • With the top window frame latch manually disengaged with the allen key, pressing the "open top" button does nothing and the red LED blinks continuously.

What works:

• When the top is opened beyond the half way point, and the "open top" button is pressed, the hydraulic pump/motor works by bringing the top down automatically, the top is latched down in the open position, and the red LED stops blinking.
    • When the top is opened manually to the fully open position, and the "open top" button is pressed, the hydraulic pump/motor sounds like it's working and the top is latched down in the open position, and the red LED stops blinking.
    • With the top down, when the "close top" button is pressed, the windows are lowered, the lock hooks open, the hydraulic pump/motor engages, the top begins to close but then gets stuck very early in the cycle. Pressing the "close top" button again will sometimes cause the pump/motor to re-engage and the roof closes slightly more, but never beyond the half way point.

Other observations:

• When the top is partially closed, placing a metal object on the "closed position" hall sensor causes the red LED to stop blinking. However when closing the top manually, the red LED returns to continuous blinking
    • I've shorted the pins on the convertible top compartment switch to signal "floor down"

Thanks
    ray

Rejjie

Please read this from the UK Forum on z4's

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115011

I sort of think this is your problem because of the allen key and your top finally works half way down. Basically, there's a wiring harness running inside of convertible top from the controller behind the drivers seat to the front window. Over time, from being folded with the top, these wires wear and sometime break. This issue is better explained in the uk forum because they have repaired this issue.