Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e36 budget sound system

My Cars
    94 325is coupe

e36 budget sound system

hi, am planning to run some coaxials in the kick panels and disconnect the 4 door speakers. will use an aftermarket headunit with no external amp or rears. have anyone done this with a decent result, or will the the sound be all distorted?

should i just go for a 2 way component and maybe external amp, possibly sub? am on a strict budget, car is missing parts left and right lol.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Co-axials aren't the right configuration for the front and in the kick panels. the tweeter will be near your feet, the ideal is to have the tweeter as high up as possible so that the directional higher frequencies are closer to your ears.

Get the car roadworthy and well sorted and come to the audio later would be the best way forward, then, you can/will get much better potential performance and Sound Quality increase by going the head unit/amplifier/subwoofer/component speakers route. The good thing is, if you install well products from a good entry level brand, the results can be very good for a modest outl\y. Later, you can upgrade to better products as your funds dictate. Much better to go this route than just throwing in better products that aren't installed well/properly.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    Thats good advice, atm i dont even have wheels for the car lol, but making progress. Yeah, components seems to be the right way, along with a sub and amp. Are there any decent budget speakers out there suited for e36, that will fit without mods? 🤔

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    Does a 2 way component system plug into the oem wiring without issues with crossover and signals?

My e36 has the 6 speaker system. 1 mid in the door, 1 mid/woofer in kickpanel and a 4" in rear.

Revised plan is to get a headunit, mids in kickpanel and tweeters in the doors. Rears i dont care about. Atm there is no speakers or deck in the car.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I think some of the factory amps are low impedance and won’t drive many aftermarket speakers. Look into this before you buy. You could change the amp or bypass the amp and run off power from the new head unit. At least on coupes, the kickpanels can be cut carefully to fit 6.5” speakers but read up on this because space is tight and the additional removed material needs to be in a certain area. 6.5s help with bass if you won’t have subs or larger rear speakers with good bass. Then put tweeters in the doors or on the pillars. Most separates come with crossovers, but some headunits might have built in crossovers, as do some amps. With coaxials you don’t need to worry but the teeter sound is not as good coming from the kick panels.

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    Mine prolly dont have the amp, poor mans package lol. Does the crossover just tap into oem wiring in the kickers? Am planning to use aftermarket headunit and its internal amp for the time beeing, and tweeters in the door.

My Cars
    94 325is coupe
    Im running oem system in my golf 4 and couldnt be happier. God bless the simplicity of keeping things stock lol.