Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Suggestions for cleaning and maintaining basket weave wheels?

My Cars
    '85 635CSi, '87 535is

Suggestions for cleaning and maintaining basket weave wheels?

What are you guys with basketweave wheels (BBS RS, RX, and others) doing to keep them looking their best? I've been using Eagle 1 cleaner or diluted Meguiar's "Wheel Brightener" (the purple stuff) in combination with Wheel Woolies on my E28's painted M5 wheels. (My E24 has polished BBS RS's so I have to be careful which cleaner I use on those.) Anything to make this job easier?

Is it really necessary to wax in between all the spokes? Besides being a tremendous amount of work, it seems that the next cleaning with a decent wheel cleaner would immediately remove the wax anyway.
    Last edited by LarryM; 05-16-2019 at 03:58 AM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    These are such a PITA! The best way of keeping them clean is... to not have to clean them. There are brake pads out there that dust very little, but you are always sacrificing initial bite and modulation IMO. Eagle one is a great cleaner for both, sidewalls and rims, but boy did they screw up with new style blue bottles!

My Cars
    '85 635CSi, '87 535is
    For about 20 years I've been using PBR "Deluxe" brake pads which seem like a good compromise between performance and low dusting. But as you say it's still a PITA keeping them clean.

Knowing how anal some owners can be, I'm mainly curious how many actually go through the trouble of waxing the spokes of these wheels.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Rejex used to be a popular sealant for wheels. Tough, resistant to most everything, and lasted quite a while.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    ^ Good to know.

I used Poorboy's wheel sealant and I was not impressed to be honest.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    Rejex used to be a popular sealant for wheels. Tough, resistant to most everything, and lasted quite a while.
    Have you ever used Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok and if so, how does it compare to Rejex?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    Have you ever used Menzerna/Jescar PowerLok and if so, how does it compare to Rejex?
    I've used PowerLok for the last three years or so, on Maybelline and on my DD and the wife's DD. I never let it go to the point of nothing because I just can't wait that long so I'll recoat after 5 - 6 months at the most. It stays really slick to the touch and beads H2O like the dickens, even after our mildish winters. I've used PowerLok on Maybelline, paint and wheels and the wheels clean up like a dream. A light pressure wash and a swipe with a microfiber towel and they're perfect again.

I've never used Rejex but do remember it was popular for wheels in the early days of sealants entering the market. I've just checked current prices for Rejex and it's not reasonable any more. Now comparable with most sealants so no huge value any more.
    Last edited by JohnZ3MC; 05-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC View Post
    I've used PowerLok for the last three years or so, on Maybelline and on my DD and the wife's DD. I never let it go to the point of nothing because I just can't wait that long so I'll recoat after 5 - 6 months at the most. It stays really slick to the touch and beads H2O like the dickens, even after our mildish winters. I've used PowerLok on Maybelline, paint and wheels and the wheels clean up like a dream. A light pressure wash and a swipe with a microfiber towel and they're perfect again.

I've never used Rejex but do remember it was popular for wheels in the early days of sealants entering the market. I've just checked current prices for Rejex and it's not reasonable any more. Now comparable with most sealants so no huge value any more.
    Thanks. I've been using PowerLok for awhile now but not on the wheels. Next wash I'll give it a shot.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfranklin View Post
    i read your question its quite interesting question i told you the secrets or which is the best to cleaning and maintaining basket weave wheels first., wheel wax, Armor All original protectant, mother of cleaning tires or wheel, inner cleaning wax of wheel, etc.
    Huh?