Thread: Is anyone using a Corbeau DFX seat?

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8

Is anyone using a Corbeau DFX seat?

Well ... I put my hours in ... I did what I could. I replaced bushings, added bolts to hold the seat to the frame. Tried to nurse the leather back to life, replaced the seat belt holder ... soldered the heated seat wire .....

It's not comfortable. It still has a tiny bit of play in it and I am just at wits end.

I looked at everything I could find from other cars. As soon as you get into something new enough to not be shot, it has air bags in the seat. Not going there.

Based on other people's cars I found, Corbeau fixed-back seats have a history of fitting pretty decently.

Corbeau seems to go out of their way to use the word "comfortable" about the DFX. I'm listening ... plus it can be bought one at a time (some of their other seats are only sold in pairs). Plus Corbeau makes the bracket that retains the stock seat belt.

I'm itching to try this! Has anyone run this seat?

https://corbeau.com/dfx.html
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I can't speak from experience, but I would be very leary about comfort. Their ad says "one of the more comfortable fixed-back seats". Being a performance seat means racing. With a fixed back,(totally non-adjustable), it either fits your perfectly or it doesn't. While the price is decent, it looks pretty high risk. However, if your primary plan is to do serious track time, that's different.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 05-15-2019 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    I don't do any track time.

I do about an hour worth of windy back roads on Sunday afternoons between the spring and the fall.

I'm not expecting a racing seat to feel like my couch. What I value above all else is the absolutely smallest amount of body-side-to-side movement when I take a spirited turn.

I was looking at racing seats for this reason.

The fact that they make it a point to say "comfortable" just smelled to me like they may have padded it a bit more which I like.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I have a Bride Exas III seat in my coupe, and it barely fits. I'm 6'1", 185lb and it fits me like a glove. I'd call it "comfortable", but not for most. That seat looks to be similar dimensions at the base, but a bit wider at the top. I'm not sure if the roadster is different as far as accepting racing seats, but mine almost touches the door.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    You got me thinking. I emailed Corbeau and asked if they have a retailer local to me.

The other idea is the Sparco R100 which is sold individually.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    M seats have more side support. They definitely cradle you in place better than regular Z3 seats.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    M seats have more side support. They definitely cradle you in place better than regular Z3 seats.
    Your statement is 100% correct.

The problem is that the "newest" M seat at this point is almost 18 years old and everyone and their uncle wants $600 per seat for abused examples.

On the other hand, you can buy a Sparco R100, a Sparco double locking slider and a seat bracket adapter for around $550.

I know you won't have leather and heated seats, but the reason I have leather in my other cars is cleanup (mainly after my kids) and I don't drive the Z in the winter, so the lack of heat won't matter.