RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Vibration when accelerating from a stop E46

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325XI

Vibration when accelerating from a stop E46 plz help

Last edited by Beema79; 05-15-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Had to add stuff

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    to many variables,possibilities, we need more background info,please.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325XI
    Okay so it feels like it's coming from the right rear wheel mostly when I'm turning and accelerating that's when it's worse it's kind of like a thud thud

- - - Updated - - -

Also I just brought the car for inspection a retail mechanic and all he said I needed was an outer tie rod I did that and he passed me but it doesn't clunk when I put it in gear or anyting making me think it is a u-joint problem I don't know any help would be appreciated I'm completely lost on this

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    BMW driveshaft U-joint failure doesn't generally present as a clunk when putting into gear, it usually presents as a thudthudthud when accelerating from a stop that decreases when you let off the throttle.

Is it an Xi?

If not, I would give an internet diagnosis of rear driveshaft replacement at 99% certainty. If it's an Xi, that decreases to about 60% certainty, with the front driveshafts each commanding 20% of the remaining certainty quotient.

EDIT: That was all kind of tongue-in-cheek, by the way ...

After re-reading your post ... does it ONLY do it during acceleration WHILE TURNING? In other words, do you have to be BOTH turning AND accelerating for it to happen? Does it happen while accelerating in a straight line? Does it happen while coasting around a corner? What about when you hit bumps? Your rear shocks could be allowing "wheel-hop" during acceleration around corners if they're bad enough.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 05-18-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325XI
    Yes it is an x i

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325XI
    And yes if I'm going straight too it sounds mostly like it's coming from the rear passenger side wheel

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Hmmmm ... Normally a rear U-joint will sound like it's coming from right under the center of the vehicle. At that mileage, it's possible that a rear half-shaft is failing, though.

Likely culprits are the rear half-shaft, but those have a pretty low failure rate, or more commonly, the rear shocks or main driveshaft. But impossible to narrow it down further sitting at my desk.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.