Thread: First Track Event with Z4 3.0si

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster

First Track Event with Z4 3.0si

Last fall I picked up a 2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster with the sport package. Other than a a power top repair, and CDV delete, all I really have done to the car was change all of the fluids and mount some Michelin Pilot 4S's.

This weekend I attended a "high performance driving school" at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, OH. This was my first ever track event and I had no idea what to expect. I have had a little bit of advanced driving instruction but nothing on this level. On both days I had an instructor in the car with me. He was terrific and very patient. Day one was cool and dry. Day two was cold and wet. The track had two completely personalities and it gave me a really broad exposure to a variety of driving conditions.

I was there to learn about my car; not to worry about lap times (which weren't even kept). What I came away with was a genuine respect for the handling abilities of the Z4! Time and again I thought I was in trouble but with a little input, it came right back where I wanted it. What a car! Now, truth be told, I was operating the car at a fraction of its performance envelope. In contrast, I was at about 80%+ of my own envelope, so It was probably more exciting for me than the instructor or the car. Whatever the math, I learned quite about my Z4 and can't wait to attend another event. I bought the car with then intent of the occasional track event and after this past weekend, I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Love this... love Mid_Ohio course too. Wish I had known.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Would like to attend an event like that. I went to the Smokies with an S2000 group and ran "The Dragon" with them. The car really is fun and I had no problem hanging with them. Even running with all season run flat tires.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    The Dragon's Tail is a really fun run. I do club drives on some really fun roads in SE Ohio, but nothing quite as fun as the Dragon.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by meh92 View Post
    The Dragon's Tail is a really fun run. I do club drives on some really fun roads in SE Ohio, but nothing quite as fun as the Dragon.
    There really isn't too may roads like the Dragon. I have been of some fun roads in south central Ohio and had a lot of fun as well. I know some people that like to hit Northern Kentucky every now and again in a group drive.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster
    If you are talking about the Tail of the Dragon, Hwy. 129 through Deal's Gap, that has been popular with the Miata and motorcycle crowd for over 25 years. It has become SO popular, in fact, that traffic is now pretty heavy on peak days and can come to a standstill when some motorcycle rider goes off the road. Not as fun as it used to be.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    That's the one. We didn't have much problem with traffic. The locals all used the pull offs and we for the most part traffic was light. I went with the S2K guys. Early mornings and evenings worked the best.