Thread: Indicator problem 525/530i

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25

Indicator problem 525/530i

Hi.
    Recently swapped my harness in my 520i Touring Eurospec, which also has been swapped with a B25 engine.
    I ordered a 530iT main body harness from the US, and i wondered if the side indicators (the ones placed in the front fenders) was optional as an add to the optional extra’s list?
    Because I can’t seem to find the correct wires that powers the bulbs. The plug i cut off my old harness colors does match up to some of the wires (since the seller did cut the harness before each door-harness), but I seem just to find wires that is hot all the time (the ones that has the same color, or something close), but not any wires reacts with the indicating.

Hope some of you could help an Euro-guy desperately in need of help.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Those side markers are federally mandated as far as I know.
    Last edited by theBMWbeast; 05-15-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Those side markers are federally mandated as far as I know.
    I guessed so, since they are here in Norway too (except those few ones who has got it approved by the government»

Kind of strange i can’t get em to work tho. Maybe both of the side indicators has to be plugged in, orelse they don’t work? Friend of mine told that’s how it was on the E36’s, but got no idea how it is on E34’s.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Mine have never worked either don’t feel bad lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Bulbs and all fuses look good?
    O o

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Actually got an explaination from the guy who sold the harness to me. Side indicators were not added to US spec E34’s before 1995, which means US market 1988-1994’s did not have them, that explains why my 93’ harness doesn’t have the correct wires. Easy as that it seems...

Give me a sound if any of you americans want’s to sell your bumper trims with the orange/red side markers for touring! I love em. That would be plug and play singe i got US spec harness now i guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine have never worked either don’t feel bad lol. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Bulbs and all fuses look good?
    All fuses and bulbs are good. Check out my latest reply, that gave me all my answes i needed :-P

Well i guess the side indicators ain’t an issue for you guys then? But in Norway they got to function, or else we risk to lose our reg. Plates or it won’t pass through MOT....

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Okay that’s interesting, so they are flashing indicators in place of those light up markers? I have some markers you can have if you want them, I swapped in euro trim. Idk what shipping to Norway would look like, though.
    Since there is no inspection for most cars, at least here in California, all you need are brake lights and head/tail lights working to not get pulled over. And in a car of this vintage, no one knows/ cares if side indicators or even a third brake light were required at the time it was made. At least from my experience.
    O o

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Okay that’s interesting, so they are flashing indicators in place of those light up markers? I have some markers you can have if you want them, I swapped in euro trim. Idk what shipping to Norway would look like, though.
    Since there is no inspection for most cars, at least here in California, all you need are brake lights and head/tail lights working to not get pulled over. And in a car of this vintage, no one knows/ cares if side indicators or even a third brake light were required at the time it was made. At least from my experience.
    I’ll send you a pm bout the trim.
    Yea. Talking about the flashing ones.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Seems like US E34’s did’nt come with rear fog lights neither? Well, guess I’ve got to wire that too then lol

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I had a similar problem two days ago I found.
    My left fender indicator stopped working due to a blown bulb but when taking it off I found the metal bracket that secured the rear of the housing had broken off and is missing. All that was holding it on was the screw at the front and the years of rubber adhering itself at the back. Quick searches on realoem and US websites for a replacement lead me to believe US cars didn't have a fender indicator, so parts are order in or europe/aus only.

The spring isn't available separately from the housing and a US side marker housing is no good to me. I'm going to make my own leaf spring out of a metal scraper or something rather than pay dealer price for a whole new unit or $20 shipping for a aftermarket part from Europe.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-16-2019 at 07:03 AM.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Quote Originally Posted by fo3 View Post
    I had a similar problem two days ago I found.
    My left fender indicator stopped working due to a blown bulb but when taking it off I found the metal bracket that secured the rear of the housing had broken off and is missing. All that was holding it on was the screw at the front and the years of rubber adhering itself at the back. Quick searches on realoem and US websites for a replacement lead me to believe US cars didn't have a fender indicator, so parts are order in or europe/aus only.

The spring isn't available separately from the housing and a US side marker housing is no good to me. I'm going to make my own leaf spring out of a metal scraper or something rather than pay dealer price for a whole new unit or $20 shipping for a aftermarket part from Europe.
    euro parts ain’t an issue for me as i live in Norway. But the US parts i want is, lol.
    But yes, US models did not come with fender indicators before 1995.
    and you guys also did not get the rear foglights in any of your E34s unless you bought euro-specified one.
    seems like you guys never had «cheap versions», since you only got 525+ and LSD, OBC MKIV, etc etc, was so to say (or cheap atleast) standard features, which is not here in Europe. Wish i had an American E34.

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    I'm in Australia and we never got cheapest versions (because E34s were sold here for US$70k+), but we never got many top versions (because they knew they'd never sell many as they were priced at US$100k+).
    So we got cheap options like OBC, fogs and auto trans etc as standard fitment to make it easier for buyers to swallow the price E: no LSD though Not many m5s or 540i's etc here because they cost about the same as a house and not many people willing to pay that much.
    Last edited by fo3; 05-16-2019 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    I'm in Australia and we never got cheapest versions (because E34s were sold here for US$70k+), but we never got many top versions (because they knew they'd never sell many as they were priced at US$100k+).
    So we got cheap options like OBC, fogs and auto trans etc as standard fitment to make it easier for buyers to swallow the price E: no LSD though Not many m5s or 540i's etc here because they cost about the same as a house and not many people willing to pay that much.
    thought you Australians got the 520i too tho?

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stianaarre View Post
    thought you Australians got the 520i too tho?
    Yeah we did. When I said cheapest versions I didn't mean engine capacity. I meant they were full of most options. So all the lights and 5spd auto trans options, interior, OBC, sunroof etc to make it an easier sale. I specifically said not all the important go fast good options were easily available or well priced.
    The e34 was still ~$70k new even for a 520i. A 525i was 10k more, a 535i another 20k more, a 540 another 20k more, a m5 another 10k more. So ~70k (520), ~80k (525), ~100 (535), ~120 (540), ~130k (m5)
    Last edited by fo3; 05-16-2019 at 01:00 PM.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Yeah we did. When I said cheapest versions I didn't mean engine capacity. I meant they were full of most options. So all the lights and 5spd auto trans options, interior, OBC, sunroof etc to make it an easier sale. I specifically said not all the important go fast good options were easily available or well priced.
    The e34 was still ~$70k new even for a 520i. A 525i was 10k more, a 535i another 20k more, a 540 another 20k more, a m5 another 10k more. So ~70k (520), ~80k (525), ~100 (535), ~120 (540), ~130k (m5)
    Probably something like the Norwegian prices then yeah. I don’t really think BMW’s was cheap anywhere at that time except for Germany.