RM European Auto Parts

Thread: What could be causing 2015 X1 'surging' slightly when motor is not warmed up?

My Cars
    2015 X1

What could be causing 2015 X1 'surging' slightly when motor is not warmed up?

My wife's '15 X1 (4 cylinder w/turbo, 65K miles) sometimes surges for like a half second sometimes right after she's backed out of the garage and started to drive away. It just happens one time - like the gas pedal was pressed down for just a half second or so. It never does it if the vehicles is warmed up, and it doesn't do it every time even when cold, just sometimes. The car is maintained pretty well, in fact it just had a major service around 2 months ago. Any thoughts on what could be causing this? Thanks a lot.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It could be anything, but often BMW has software updates to the engine computer (DME) that fixes minor behavior issues like that.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It could be anything, but often BMW has software updates to the engine computer (DME) that fixes minor behavior issues like that.
    Yeah we had an '05 X3 before this vehicle and I remember it occasionally did odd little things, too. I was just curious if this was some well known issue with the X1.

I appreciate the reply.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. The Service Engine Soon light is on only when an emissions related code is present. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. A good indie shop will have the computer software to properly diagnose the issue and update the software, if needed.

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. The Service Engine Soon light is on only when an emissions related code is present. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. A good indie shop will have the computer software to properly diagnose the issue and update the software, if needed.
    Will do. Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    When we get customers with this type of complaint and the technician can't find anything wrong with it, we put this in the notes on the repair order :

Note: **Be sure the vehicle is stopped completely and allow enough time for the transmission to completely finish shifting into the selected gear (about 1 full second) before releasing the brake pedal.**

If you shift from Reverse to Drive while still rolling even a little tiny bit, or if you let your foot off the brake before the trans is fully in gear, the RPMs can "surge" a little.

You didn't mention how much it's surging, though. The above usually results in a little 200-ish RPM "surge".
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    When we get customers with this type of complaint and the technician can't find anything wrong with it, we put this in the notes on the repair order :

Note: **Be sure the vehicle is stopped completely and allow enough time for the transmission to completely finish shifting into the selected gear (about 1 full second) before releasing the brake pedal.**

If you shift from Reverse to Drive while still rolling even a little tiny bit, or if you let your foot off the brake before the trans is fully in gear, the RPMs can "surge" a little.

You didn't mention how much it's surging, though. The above usually results in a little 200-ish RPM "surge".
    Not sure how much the surge is RPM-wise, but it's enough to make the car jump ahead for a second or so, like it suddenly got a little boost of power. This happens while going through the parking lot at prolly 5-7mph.

I've relayed your info to my wife and we'll see what happens, and will mention it to our tech next time we're in. We both appreciate everyone taking the time to help - thank you.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgenerationX1 View Post
    Not sure how much the surge is RPM-wise, but it's enough to make the car jump ahead for a second or so, like it suddenly got a little boost of power. This happens while going through the parking lot at prolly 5-7mph.

I've relayed your info to my wife and we'll see what happens, and will mention it to our tech next time we're in. We both appreciate everyone taking the time to help - thank you.

This is likely the car shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speed and low throttle input. You can test it someplace away from other vehicles by putting it in 1st gear in manual mode and driving at about 5mph with very little throttle input and shifting to 2nd, and see if that's the same feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    This is likely the car shifting from 1st to 2nd at low speed and low throttle input. You can test it someplace away from other vehicles by putting it in 1st gear in manual mode and driving at about 5mph with very little throttle input and shifting to 2nd, and see if that's the same feeling.
    My wife thinks that makes a lot of sense. We'll give it a go later this week.