Thread: Cold and wet weather - How much damage can it do?

My Cars
    2015 Subaru WRX

Cold and wet weather - How much damage can it do?

Hey all! I'm fairly new to the forum but I've been research these cars for years and am hoping to buy an E46 M3 to start a project. I'm not too concerned about having a high mileage engine since it's going to be swapped, but what I am concerned about is making sure I know how to find a chassis in good condition with very little rust (none at all preferably if that's realistic) and other forms of wear and tear. But the way I understand it is that the best places to buy cars are from really hot and consistently dry areas because if flooding, rain, cold and snow can cause damage to the car.

What I am curious about is what kind of damage can cold, snowy and wet weather do to a car? And if I end up with a car with damage from that type of weather am I doomed or can it be fixed? (I assume the severity of the damage can affect your answer to this question)

I want to take the car to Scottsdale Motorsport in Arizona, they're top grade in terms of connections and build quality so would they be able to fix any issues I might have that might be caused by bad weather?

Look forward to learning!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Typical rust spots I have seen on the E-46's start in the fender wells, rear first then the fronts. Next it will move into the frame area under the car, and typically it will be the rear sub-frame area first. Then you will see it in the front, and things like the pig tails on the spring breaking, ect.

Most of the E-46's I run across are year round cars, and non-M type, but for the most part same body.

Salt is the biggest killer of these cars, for it is hard to get it washed in the winter time, or people just neglect to do so.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Hello!

Thank you for the response! That helps me have an idea of what to look for, my biggest concern is what I can do if I end up with a car that has any level of rust damage. My main concern is the structural integrity of the car because I want to build it up to be an even higher performance track racer. I want to be sure the chassis is safe and that if there is any damage I can overcome it with some form of repair.

Cheers!

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Just because its being sold in a state doesn't mean it didn't live most of its life in 4 other states.

My Cars
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Yeah I know, the main reason why I'm asking about weather damage is because I can't find any cars in places with weather that's more favorable. I want to know if the damage is repairable or potentially hazardous on a racecar.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    If you plan on building a race car, then I wouldn't be too worried about the surface rust. On the E-46's they have problems with the rear sub-frames ripping out and will need to be reinforced. There are kits for minor crack repair to full blown stabilization. I would go with the latter, that way you won't have a problem later.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2015 Subaru WRX
    Excellent thank you! This gives me peace of mind and makes me feel comfortable with some of the vehicles I have looked at. Cheers!