Thread: 1995 e36 325is Won’t Start Help

My Cars
    E36

1995 e36 325is Won’t Start Help

Hello everyone . So I recently bought an e36 , the car was running fine . It would start , until it didn’t . Then it just stopped starting and it cranked only. The car started on starter fluid , so normally we think fuel pump. I swapped it out , nothing . No start . I fact there’s no power going to the fuel pump . So I checked my relays , fuel pump relay and fuse as well as main relay , all are good . I tried to jump the fuel pump using the fuse box but it wouldn’t run either . Really I have no idea what this might be , any ideas would help . Someone told me crank position sensor might be the case but I don’t know . Really my car doesn’t have a check engine light on. When I put the key in accessory
    mode it turns on but then disappears after about a minuet or less . My car is obd1 and when I try to read a code (pump throttle 5 times) nothing happens my check engine light doesn’t flash. It just disappears. Any help would greatly be appreciated

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Hey, welcome to the forum!

So CAM sensor is for fuel, CRANK sensor is for spark. Easy to remember with the K in crank and K in spark.

Yeah your car is OBD1, so that's not much help.

With these cars the fuel pump only comes on for a second to prime the system, it doesn't run till the engine turns over.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 318i convt.
    Definitely sounds like a cam sensor. You can also have installed a faulty pump. Pull it out and bench test it drop it back in if still no fire replace cam sensor if no fire after that replace fuel pump again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Hey, welcome to the forum!

So CAM sensor is for fuel, CRANK sensor is for spark. Easy to remember with the K in crank and K in spark.

Yeah your car is OBD1, so that's not much help.

With these cars the fuel pump only comes on for a second to prime the system, it doesn't run till the engine turns over.
    Not true. The crank sensor tells the dme the engine is rotating. The dme then sends fuel. The cam sensor is for specific injector timing and specific spark timing after the fact. The car will run and drive with the cam sensor unplugged. The car wont run with the crank sensor unplugged and the fuel pump relay bypassed.
    Check your crank sensor.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle