Thread: question on timing s52

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

question on timing s52

I have the motor at TDC, cams at TDC (double dots pointed straight up on intake and exhaust cams). Slots properly aligned for vanos in front cam gears...Now I still have the 4 torx on the exhaust cam gear loose, but I have tightened down the ones on the intake cam with the proper installation of parts (2mm spacer, then spring/disc with bow outwards, and 4mm spacer). I cannot turn the smaller vanos chain side to side anymore once tightening down the intake cam gear. Is this normal?

I have these gaskets left over right now, where do they go?

Where I have the red arrow pointing to the seem in the vanos unit, does a gasket go between those two mating surfaces?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The gaskets might be from your front timing cover.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The gaskets might be from your front timing cover.
    Lol ... yeah, kinda important

There is no gasket in the vanos (but there is one between the vanos and head)
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Figured out I ordered dupicates so I have an extra...but any ideas on why the intake cam gear doesn't spin now? I am under the impression that it should as long as the exhaust cam is loose.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    It should turn with force, you assembled an engaged clutch pack of sorts. Are you using the lollipop tool? Make sure the 4mm spacer is on the shafts and not stuck on the shoulder.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Lollipop tool is great. Hard to turn without it but it can be done.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Ok you two have made me feel better....I was under the impression it was supposed to turn with the same easy it does before I bolt the 4mm spacer over the diaphgram spring! After I bolt that 4mm spacer over the diaphram spring I have been gripping the chain by hand and moving it back and forth, but could not do it with the spacer torqued to the 7 foot pounds, only with the nuts barely threaded on. However no problem with the lollipop tool.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Last night I got the vanos back on, because according to my how to video I was watching on youtube, you assemble the vanos onto the motor before spinning it over twice to check your still at TDC. I did this and eixhaust timing is perfect, but looking from front of motor, on the intake cam I could fit a nickel under the right side of the timing block (not perfectly flush). Can I put the motor at TDC (on dampener), loosen the 4 torx bolts on the exhaust cam sprocket, then grab the intake cam with a crescent wrench in the middle and rotate it clock wise the tiny bit needed to make the cam lock block sit flush; all while leaving vanos installed?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    There is a little play around TDC. Make sure you are recognizing the angle of the mark on the block when you line up the trigger wheel. Hold the mirror at the same angle.

Also, don’t back into TDC after having gone past it. Time as you are just hitting TDC on your rotation.

See if you get any closer to perfect after 2 rotations.

My Cars
    are slow.
    It should turn with some force. Obviously not a crazy amount of force, but it will turn if set properly. (Remove the timing blocks if turning).

Those gaskets go on your front timing chain cover. They need to be installed. The VANOS unit has a gasket between the bottom half of it and the cylinder head, and that needs to be in place as well.

I highly recommend the right tools for this job, and you really should have the lollipop tool. Me and many others on this forum would be happy to let you borrow the right tools for the job. See sig for how the blocks should sit.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President